News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Manage to get on my flatbar road/hybrid thingy for the first time in nearly a month. Did a quick 24 miles on one of my little routes, averaged 16.5mph, but man getting used to a geared bike is tough, after having done 500 miles on my 1/zero geared shopping bike.

That little runs seems to have sorted out my bad neck and upper back.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2014, 05:55:25 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 05, 2014, 09:14:16 PM
I feel that I don't produce enough myostatin and any attempt to gain muscle is futile.  I've been at like basically the same number of push-ups for like two months.

This sounds like an excuse wrapped up in some random jargon, to possibly explain away a lack of motivation towards a target you've not that happy with? :unsure:

Yeah, and people who don't understand calculus right away just aren't trying hard enough.  Fucking Enlightenment humanists and your willful lack of understanding of human genetic diversity.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

mongers: secular-humanist monster.... GRENDAL if you will....
idealogue: emo hero..... BEOWULF
Me: tired.
PDH!

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 07, 2014, 10:10:17 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 07, 2014, 09:43:36 AM
Is overtraining a real thing?

I think so.  You can cause all sorts of issues from doing it too much, internally and externally.

Yeah, the guys who do Crossfit 7 days a week are in for a big surprise.
and the horse you rode in on

mongers

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 07, 2014, 05:01:22 PM
mongers: secular-humanist monster.... GRENDAL if you will....
idealogue: emo hero..... BEOWULF
Me: tired.

:lol:

Hey, that's not bad considering you're tired.  :)

Legbiter

I didn't do jack this weekend except amble along and play with my boys. Tomorrow is shoulder press day.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

Quote from: Legbiter on September 07, 2014, 05:51:10 PM
I didn't do jack this weekend except amble along and play with my boys. Tomorrow is shoulder press day.

hey, isn't being a parent supposed to be a pretty good all-round workout?  :)

Legbiter

Quote from: mongers on September 07, 2014, 05:53:12 PMhey, isn't being a parent supposed to be a pretty good all-round workout?  :)

Yep.  :showoff:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fhdz on September 07, 2014, 05:02:45 PM

I think so.  You can cause all sorts of issues from doing it too much, internally and externally.

Not sure if serious  :hmm: but doing too much--particularly improperly--can lead to everything from issues with chronic dehydration to long-term joint damage.

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 07, 2014, 07:22:59 PM
Quote from: fhdz on September 07, 2014, 05:02:45 PM

Not sure if serious  :hmm: but doing too much--particularly improperly--can lead to everything from issues with chronic dehydration to long-term joint damage.

Was serious.
and the horse you rode in on

Legbiter

Back squats are on the menu today. My current goal is being able to squat 3 plates for reps with good form.  :showoff:

Maladict

Went for a long walk for the first time in over ten years. Much more relaxing than cycling, I should do this more often.
Managed almost 30km which I was quite pleased with given the state of my knees.  :)

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on September 14, 2014, 10:59:54 AM
Went for a long walk for the first time in over ten years. Much more relaxing than cycling, I should do this more often.
Managed almost 30km which I was quite pleased with given the state of my knees.  :)

:cool:

Good going, given how different the muscle use pattern can be.

You've the right idea about cycling, sometimes it can get a bit monotonous!

I had some plans to do longer walks this summer, but family stuff/crises and family illness means I spend more of August/July walking in hospital corridors than outside.  :(

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on September 14, 2014, 02:24:52 PM

I had some plans to do longer walks this summer, but family stuff/crises and family illness means I spend more of August/July walking in hospital corridors than outside.  :(

:( That sucks, hang in there.

Yes there is some monotony in cycling, but when at speed you also have to pay attention all the time, even on long straights.

When walking, apart from the odd route check, you're free to let your mind wander and do some thinking.
I remember this from when I used to run, but I never seem to manage it while cycling.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on September 14, 2014, 02:40:55 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 14, 2014, 02:24:52 PM

:( That sucks, hang in there.

Yes there is some monotony in cycling, but when at speed you also have to pay attention all the time, even on long straights.

When walking, apart from the odd route check, you're free to let your mind wander and do some thinking.
I remember this from when I used to run, but I never seem to manage it while cycling.

Yes, that's a good way to put it, thoughtful even.  :cool:

Talk of a lack of attention on the bike this evening, cycling home in the semi-dark, lights obviously, but didn't notice a beer can I rode over, because it was exactly on the junction of some new laid tarmac, which I was taking note of at that moment.