News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Question for the military folks

Started by merithyn, December 23, 2013, 10:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Does it mean that Siege will have to salute Alci now?

grumbler

Saluting varies more than you'd think across services.  In the Naval services, one doesn't salute when uncovered (i.e. not wearing uniform headgear) nor when indoors.  I don't know about the other services, but, in the Navy, you salute someone in the same organization as you (or someone you are working with repeatedly in a given day) only the first time you meet them in a given day, or when reporting something to them officially.  A report that is given with a salute becomes an official report.  In the Naval services, only, you can salute left-handed if one cannot use the right hand (that comes from small boat experiences where, if on the right side of the boat in heavy seas, you are hanging on with the right hand). If your right arm is broken, for instance, you salute left-handed.

The silver dollar goes to the first person who salutes you, not the first person you salute.  In the Navy, that silver dollar is considered a good luck piece and isn't spent, but kept.  You generally pick one of your training NCOs to be the first to salute you.

A civilian saluting would have been considered gauche.  The civilian equivalent to the salute is to hold one's hand (or hat, if one is wearing one) over the heart.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 23, 2013, 05:15:51 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 23, 2013, 03:50:18 PMSweden was a polite society when Americans were naked savages.

Please, Sweden wasn't civilized until the 1800s. We've had white people in America since the 1600s.

I'm talking about the 1960s. I have no idea what you are talking about.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Monoriu on December 23, 2013, 05:53:33 PM
Does it mean that Siege will have to salute Alci now?

Yeah, and Hans will be able to fire him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: The Brain on December 23, 2013, 05:55:11 PMI'm talking about the 1960s. I have no idea what you are talking about.

The 1800s and 1600s, English, can you read it motherfucker?

The Brain

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 23, 2013, 06:06:18 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 23, 2013, 05:55:11 PMI'm talking about the 1960s. I have no idea what you are talking about.

The 1800s and 1600s, English, can you read it motherfucker?

:hmm:

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: grumbler on December 23, 2013, 05:54:48 PM
The silver dollar goes to the first person who salutes you, not the first person you salute.  In the Navy, that silver dollar is considered a good luck piece and isn't spent, but kept.  You generally pick one of your training NCOs to be the first to salute you.

I still have the silver dollar some shiny new Ensign gave me when I was a shiny new enlisted guy only a couple weeks out of boot camp.  I was headed back to the Aircrew barracks after getting a haircut and just happened to be walking by right after they graduated.  I saluted him like normal, then became very alarmed when he started walking right toward me immediately after.  I'm standing there thinking wtf did I do wrong when he shook my hand and gave me a silver dollar.   :lol:  "Oh....uh....oh...congratulations sir."

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 23, 2013, 06:45:40 PM
I still have the silver dollar some shiny new Ensign gave me when I was a shiny new enlisted guy only a couple weeks out of boot camp.  I was headed back to the Aircrew barracks after getting a haircut and just happened to be walking by right after they graduated.  I saluted him like normal, then became very alarmed when he started walking right toward me immediately after.  I'm standing there thinking wtf did I do wrong when he shook my hand and gave me a silver dollar.   :lol:  "Oh....uh....oh...congratulations sir."

Great story, and it didn't even start "this is no shit..."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Quote from: merithyn on December 23, 2013, 02:17:05 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 23, 2013, 10:24:04 AM
Civilians just don't need to salute anyone.  Why would they? 

How does a civilian show the proper respect for an officer, then? I mean, assuming that they wanted to.

Presumably in the same manner that civilian would wish to show proper respect for any other person.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Berkut

Yeah, gotta agree with grumbler.

Saluting someone in the military as a civilian, unless there is some extenuating circumstances, would be seen as mostly just kind of weird and uncouth. It isn't strictly wrong, just not really appropriate. A salute is a military thing.

If you want to show someone in the military respect, a nice handshake and "thanks for your service" is the way to go, IMO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

What if it's a military type who is about to rock?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

As a Kentucky Colronel, I demand Cal salute me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 23, 2013, 08:00:50 PM
As a Kentucky Colronel, I demand Cal salute me.

I'm sure he has a salute in mind for you.

Admiral Yi

Boner is getting more Frenchified every day.