And we're back!

Main Menu

Question for the military folks

Started by merithyn, December 23, 2013, 10:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2013, 02:28:34 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 23, 2013, 02:17:05 PM
How does a civilian show the proper respect for an officer, then? I mean, assuming that they wanted to.

I would suggest saying "hey GI, me love you long time."

:yucky:

Not to Alci! He's like a little brother!
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

You said you wanted to show respect. :mellow:

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on December 23, 2013, 02:32:33 PM
Not to Alci! He's like a little brother!
Hey may have a girlfriend here, but he does not have girlfriend Vietnam. :yes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on December 23, 2013, 02:17:05 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 23, 2013, 10:24:04 AM
Civilians just don't need to salute anyone.  Why would they? 

How does a civilian show the proper respect for an officer, then? I mean, assuming that they wanted to.

Buy him a drink.  Shake his hand.  Give him a hug.  Whatever works best for you.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

OttoVonBismarck

Civilians are outside the strictures of military protocol. You can salute or do anything else you want. Someone who says you "shouldn't" is incorrect, a civilian can do whatever they want in that regard. The President for example chooses to salute lots of members of the armed forces, not even limited to just officers. But since you aren't part of military protocol, there is certainly no "Miss Manners" or legal or ethical requirement to salute members of the military.

The Brain

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 23, 2013, 02:57:47 PM
Civilians are outside the strictures of military protocol. You can salute or do anything else you want. Someone who says you "shouldn't" is incorrect, a civilian can do whatever they want in that regard. The President for example chooses to salute lots of members of the armed forces, not even limited to just officers. But since you aren't part of military protocol, there is certainly no "Miss Manners" or legal or ethical requirement to salute members of the military.

Civilians operate under civilian etiquette. Saluting people isn't normal, at least not in Sweden.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

OttoVonBismarck

Considering Swedish men try to breast feed their children I'm not sure I'd go by what is considered "normal" in Sweden. But normal polite society etiquette is pretty frangible, at least in the States.

The Brain

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 23, 2013, 03:30:55 PM
Considering Swedish men try to breast feed their children I'm not sure I'd go by what is considered "normal" in Sweden. But normal polite society etiquette is pretty frangible, at least in the States.

Sweden was a polite society when Americans were naked savages.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on December 23, 2013, 03:50:18 PM
Sweden was a polite society when Americans were naked savages.

Britain has always been more civilized than Scandinavia.  :bowler:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I'm guessing the silver dollar was a challenge coin.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on December 23, 2013, 04:58:13 PM
I'm guessing the silver dollar was a challenge coin.

The guy who explained it at the ceremony said that it's believed to derive from the dollar a month a newly minted officer was given to pay his servant, usually a cadet. Pay the dollar, be given his first salute.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: The Brain on December 23, 2013, 03:50:18 PMSweden was a polite society when Americans were naked savages.

Please, Sweden wasn't civilized until the 1800s. We've had white people in America since the 1600s.

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on December 23, 2013, 03:05:04 PM
Saluting people isn't normal, at least not in Sweden.

It's not normal here, unless you're some kid trying to be cute.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Well, I was actually kind of worried that a civilian saluting someone could be construed as rude. As in, if I had saluted Alci after his commission ceremony, would the soldiers in the room have been insulted, amused, or apathetic?

Admiral Yi