Anyone out there cut their cable cord?

Started by Barrister, December 18, 2013, 03:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 19, 2013, 09:29:14 AM
Oh, the life of the rich.

I used the same method when I had very little money. I always had savings, even if only a small amount.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on December 19, 2013, 01:35:56 AM
Timmy can watch the same episode of whatever, be it Team Umi-Zoomi, Barney, Caillou, or whatever, multiple times and not care in the least.

I know Lola has hit her limit on watching the same episode of whatever show when she throws the remote at me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on December 19, 2013, 09:31:46 AM

I used the same method when I had very little money. I always had savings, even if only a small amount.

Oh the life of the frugal.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Yeah, ironically we used to save a much larger percentage of our incomes when we made much less.  We still save a lot each year but if we had anything close to the kind of discipline we once did.... then our kids would have less fun :D  Beware the teen years!

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 19, 2013, 09:52:29 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2013, 09:38:02 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2013, 09:33:40 AM
Latinas.  :rolleyes:

Yeah.  She's a redhead on top of that :pinch:

I'll pray for you.

She put her head on my shoulder last night & told me I was her best friend  :cry:

Pretty sure that was just to get my attention because I was reading a news article and <gasp> not paying 100% attention to her.

Valmy

You always had savings?  You never had one savings-draining emergency?  You lucky fuck.  I just had to blow most of mine on a new water heater.  Damnit.  Hope everything holds together while I replenish my funds.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2013, 11:59:57 AM

You always had savings?  You never had one savings-draining emergency?  You lucky fuck.  I just had to blow most of mine on a new water heater.  Damnit.  Hope everything holds together while I replenish my funds.

Yeah, I had a couple of occasions when I had to use up my savings on something or other pressing, though mostly self-inflicted (my foray into entreprenureal business.  :( ). But as soon as I drained it dry, I always started to build it up again. I was always, when possible, putting something of what I earned away, even if only a little bit.

The contrast is with some of my friends, many of whom literally lived paycheque to paycheque - it didn't matter how much they earned, they spent it. They still do that. One of my buddies is also a lawyer, and he has two luxury cars and a very nicely furished house, and two small kids, with a great nanny, they take fancy vacations - yet I know he makes less than I do. My wife was all like 'how do they do it!?' Sadly, he'd told me the answer earlier, in some fear - they were up to their ass in debt to pay for all these nice things and had no savings at all - not a penny. A massive mortgage on the house and the cars are leased, plus a big line of credit to pay for renos and furniture, *and* credit card debt on top. If he lost his job for a month, they would be royally fucked; and as for retirement, forget it.

It's actually not that uncommon a story, according to the news.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

I autosave at least $1,000 every month. Plus ordinary buildup that gets transferred to savings when overload threatens.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2013, 06:52:46 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 18, 2013, 06:20:29 PM
Tax free savings account, TSFA.  5000 (now 5500$) per year max though.  Revenus grow with no taxes on them.

That sounds like your IRA equivalent.  A money market account has no special tax treatment.  It's a hybrid checking/savings account.
oh, that.  Well, we have that, but interest rate on this is close to 0%, 0,1% if you're lucky:
http://www.desjardins.com/particuliers/comptes-services-relies/comptes-cheques/rendement-croissant/index.jsp
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 18, 2013, 08:34:34 PM
What are the withdrawal rules on a TFSA? People use money market accounts or regular savings account because they are ultra-liquid. IRAs are easy to put money into, but you can't pull it out without paying a 10% penalty unless you're over the age of 59.5.
IIRC, there's a time limit.  If you have the right to put, say 25k$ max in a TFSA this year, if you remove momey and put it back right afterward, it will count double.  Meaning, you take out 5000$ and you put back 5000$ a month later, if your previous balance was 25 000$, you are over your limit by 5000$ and there are penalties to pay.  If I'm not mistaken, you have to wait a minimum of 30 days before you refund and the next fiscal year to not go beyond your maximum.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.