And we're back!

Main Menu

Anyone out there cut their cable cord?

Started by Barrister, December 18, 2013, 03:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on December 18, 2013, 05:33:52 PM
Oops, I read your post & thought Youtube, not Netflix  :blush:

Having profiles on Netflix now helps.  I didn't like having my wife's zombie/horror movies show up in our queue  <_<

Ugh, I go the same problem.  I have a netflix account which my mom uses quite a bit and it recommends to me the most boring British television.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on December 18, 2013, 06:20:29 PM
Tax free savings account, TSFA.  5000 (now 5500$) per year max though.  Revenus grow with no taxes on them.

That sounds like your IRA equivalent.  A money market account has no special tax treatment.  It's a hybrid checking/savings account.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2013, 03:34:16 PM
Wife and I have been discussing cutting back on some expenses, and one idea we keep coming back to is cutting our cable.  There's an awful lot on Netflix, most of the hockey I watch is on GameCentre, and I have to remind myself that over the air broadcasts still exist.

Has anyone out there gone for it and ditched cable tv entirely?

I do not have cable television.  In fact, I don't get broadcast TV either.  I don't have the gear.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2013, 06:52:46 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 18, 2013, 06:20:29 PM
Tax free savings account, TSFA.  5000 (now 5500$) per year max though.  Revenus grow with no taxes on them.

That sounds like your IRA equivalent.  A money market account has no special tax treatment.  It's a hybrid checking/savings account.

We have the same thing.   But with TSFA's nobody uses them much anymore.

OttoVonBismarck

What are the withdrawal rules on a TFSA? People use money market accounts or regular savings account because they are ultra-liquid. IRAs are easy to put money into, but you can't pull it out without paying a 10% penalty unless you're over the age of 59.5.

Scipio

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 18, 2013, 04:43:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2013, 04:31:51 PM
Wife's not working, and we've probably gotten a bit sloppy in our spending habits.  We're not running up debt or anything, but we're finding ourselves with nothing left by the end of the month (when we used to always have a good balance in the ole bank account), so just trying to go back and look at our expenses.

Plus, there's a weird deduction I only have to make for approx the six months of the year, which will start coming off my paycheque again in January.

You're not asking for budgeting advice and I'm sure you're a smart enough guy to run your own finances, but I thought I'd mention the "budget to zero" philosophy I and my wife have used for years.

Basically at the beginning of each month, we total up our income for the month and then "budget to zero", basically meaning we allocate every dollar coming in to predefined expense categories. That way there is no "unassigned" money. The category balances build up over time if you don't end up spending them. After a certain period of carry overs you can decide on what to do with the excess. Some categories we frequently carry over would be things like electric / natural gas budgeted money in low usage months. With those, we let that money stay "assigned" to those categories because we know in higher usage months we'll want to draw from the surplus.

For other categories at the end of the year we take all the excess out and put into long term savings.

What I found great about switching to this system (which we did over ten years ago), is you no longer have to work throughout the month wondering if you're over or under spending. Everything is assigned a budget. To keep things on track you also record every transaction you make and make deductions from budget so you know where you're at. It sounds more involved than it is, for me it was an afternoon setting up an excel spreadsheet to do exactly what I needed and then just copying a new one for each month into a new worksheet. It sounds laborious to log your transactions but it works out to like 5 minutes a day.
My wife and I started doing this when we got married, and we have eliminated a ton of debt, and have about 10k in cash put back, plus we refinanced our house, saving us a ton of money. We upped our grocery budget after four years of $50/week to $62.50/week because we were zeroing out and missing out on something each week, and we're basically a week ahead at this point. And all we really had to do was plan. We're not as disciplined as OvB, but then, we're not high rollers, because we're still mostly paying off debt. This week, we killed my last credit card. Now, we are going to be flush.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2013, 06:00:27 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 18, 2013, 05:53:04 PM
Lola was hooked on this really annoying French (?) cartoon "TroTro" on Netflix.  The kid's (well actually he's a little donkey) voice is so annoying and he's a total narcissist.

Still better than that whiney piece of shit Caillou, though.  One thing the wife & I agree on is not allowing that show on at any time in our house.

:huh:

What's wrong with Caillou?

It' certainly better than my nemesis Fireman Sam. <_<

And yeah, Timmy has found some pretty bizarre cartoons on Netflix, stuff I'd never heard of.  And weirdly one off his favourites is the 90s childrens classic... Barney.  :yuk:

Caillou is the poster child for the Child King phenomenum. His parents let him do everything he wants all the time.

If you are serious about Netflix, you need a netflix switcher, like adfreetime. https://adfreetime.com/region-unlock/

I can't cut cable, I want to watch the Habs play & those games won't be on Gamecenter for me. There's also the kids channels, the cooking & home improvement channels my gf & I watch almost constantly.

Maybe in a couple of years when Videotron's Netflix has more content.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 18, 2013, 08:34:34 PM
What are the withdrawal rules on a TFSA? People use money market accounts or regular savings account because they are ultra-liquid. IRAs are easy to put money into, but you can't pull it out without paying a 10% penalty unless you're over the age of 59.5.

It depends on the institutions you use. Most seem to be a 25$ fee per cashing out.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

A thought: Kids having video on demand.
How does this affect their likes and dislikes?
Beyond getting to see and like odd stuff of course.

What I mean is...with conventional TV it was an episode, maybe two if you're lucky, a week. Shows lasted for years. Kids could grow up with one or two main shows for each time of their life.
With this video on demand stuff...then they can blow through every episode ever made of each show several times over within a month. Its much more disposable. Or do they forget they've seen every episode? Or just plain not care/see it as part of the fun? (my mother says I watched my one Thomas VHS tape front to back so often she knew it all by heart).

I'd wonder further on this how it would tie into the whole TV-show/marketing tool thing...
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on December 18, 2013, 06:42:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 18, 2013, 05:33:52 PM
Oops, I read your post & thought Youtube, not Netflix  :blush:

Having profiles on Netflix now helps.  I didn't like having my wife's zombie/horror movies show up in our queue  <_<

Ugh, I go the same problem.  I have a netflix account which my mom uses quite a bit and it recommends to me the most boring British television.

You really should give Doc Martin a chance.   :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on December 19, 2013, 01:22:09 AM
A thought: Kids having video on demand.
How does this affect their likes and dislikes?
Beyond getting to see and like odd stuff of course.

What I mean is...with conventional TV it was an episode, maybe two if you're lucky, a week. Shows lasted for years. Kids could grow up with one or two main shows for each time of their life.
With this video on demand stuff...then they can blow through every episode ever made of each show several times over within a month. Its much more disposable. Or do they forget they've seen every episode? Or just plain not care/see it as part of the fun? (my mother says I watched my one Thomas VHS tape front to back so often she knew it all by heart).

I'd wonder further on this how it would tie into the whole TV-show/marketing tool thing...

Timmy can watch the same episode of whatever, be it Team Umi-Zoomi, Barney, Caillou, or whatever, multiple times and not care in the least.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 18, 2013, 04:43:14 PM

You're not asking for budgeting advice and I'm sure you're a smart enough guy to run your own finances, but I thought I'd mention the "budget to zero" philosophy I and my wife have used for years.

Basically at the beginning of each month, we total up our income for the month and then "budget to zero", basically meaning we allocate every dollar coming in to predefined expense categories. That way there is no "unassigned" money. The category balances build up over time if you don't end up spending them. After a certain period of carry overs you can decide on what to do with the excess. Some categories we frequently carry over would be things like electric / natural gas budgeted money in low usage months. With those, we let that money stay "assigned" to those categories because we know in higher usage months we'll want to draw from the surplus.

For other categories at the end of the year we take all the excess out and put into long term savings.

What I found great about switching to this system (which we did over ten years ago), is you no longer have to work throughout the month wondering if you're over or under spending. Everything is assigned a budget. To keep things on track you also record every transaction you make and make deductions from budget so you know where you're at. It sounds more involved than it is, for me it was an afternoon setting up an excel spreadsheet to do exactly what I needed and then just copying a new one for each month into a new worksheet. It sounds laborious to log your transactions but it works out to like 5 minutes a day.

My lady-friend and I have a similar system, but don't you have an issue with the administration of it?  You're basically checking every receipt to track every dollar spent, no?   

Brazen

Quote from: PRC on December 19, 2013, 02:00:26 AM
My lady-friend and I have a similar system, but don't you have an issue with the administration of it?  You're basically checking every receipt to track every dollar spent, no?
My version of this is a spreadsheet with all my monthly, quarterly and annual bills with the next debit date. Each month, I subtract what's coming out that month and transfer what's left minus a safety net to a separate cash account which I use for food, petrol and all out of pocket expenses, as far as possible using actual cash. If I haven't touched the safety net, it goes as an extra credit card repayment. I swap my credit card debt between interest-free offers as they run out. My savings will equal my credit card balance in a few months, I may take the plunge and pay it off entirely, but I'm not happy without having some savings in case of emergencies.

Yeah, I seriously micro-manage (I check my balance pretty much every day) but having been in financial strife the last couple of years it's the only way I sleep at night.

I get my TV (including on-demand TV, some movies and a sports channel with most of the premiership matches), broadband, telephone line rental and calls (but who uses a landline these days?) for £47. No cable, it's an aerial/broadband thingy.

Malthus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 18, 2013, 08:34:34 PM

No penalty. You can put in, and take out, as much as you like from the total TFSA "space", up to the maximum contribution - the amount you put into that space has a maximum (which grows by $5500 each year).

http://www.tfsa.gc.ca/

It's really useful.

The big question, for Canucks, is - put into RRSP, or TFSA?

The diferences - RRSP is for retirement, you are not taxed on money you put in, you are taxed on money you take out. TFSA - for anything. You are not taxed on the increase on money inside the TFSA "space". You can take out whenever you want.

For high-income types, filling up the RRSP to the max seems to me to be a no-brainer: if you are in the over-30% tax bracket, it's like being handed an instant extra third of the money you contribute. Then, fill up the TFSA, the RESP (the education savings plan) if you have kids, etc.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

There is no way I could micro-manage my finances like you guys do, let alone make my wife do the same. I find it hard enough to docket my hours at work.  :lol:

I just say "every month I save X$. The rest we spend".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius