News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anyone out there cut their cable cord?

Started by Barrister, December 18, 2013, 03:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

You could always ship them off to a Swiss boarding school.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 18, 2013, 04:49:37 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 18, 2013, 04:48:53 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 18, 2013, 04:45:35 PM
I know if I cut cable TV, the twins would murder me in my sleep.

Aren't they eventually going to do that anyway? Parricide is a rite of passage for evil twins.  ;)

:(

If they can do it and get away with it, they will make you proud.

Extra points for delivering, in tandem, a tearful eulogy at your funeral.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

Ed Anger

Admiral Yi

Beeb, the first thing you need to do is put $1,000 in a money market account.  Or whatever a money market account is called in Canada.

On a very tangentially related note, what is the currency symbol for the loonie?

Ed Anger

OttoVonBismarck

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 18, 2013, 04:37:30 PM
I'd cut cable in a heart beat if not for the wife and kid. I need to look into options for letting my daughter watch children's programming through the various streaming services, I think if some of the kid shows she watches were available I could maybe swing it, I just haven't dug into it at all.

Timmy (and little Andrew) do watch some kids tv, but Timmy works the iPad like a pro and watches all sorts of things on it.

One day I'm going to have to figure out how to lock that thing down since I know what you can find on Netflix, but so far he only watches cartoons and animal documentaries. :D
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2013, 04:58:58 PM
Beeb, the first thing you need to do is put $1,000 in a money market account.  Or whatever a money market account is called in Canada.

On a very tangentially related note, what is the currency symbol for the loonie?

Why's that?

$, as mentioned.  Or C$, or CAD.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

lustindarkness

I once cut the cable, but it was a bitch to splice it back together without getting static :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2013, 05:10:20 PM
Why's that?

It's a little jab at Cal's wife.  She had heard on some personal finance show that the first step is to put a grand in a MM account that you only touch in emergencies.  Which is fine, but they're a two income family and Cal makes a gwilion dollars.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2013, 05:11:10 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 18, 2013, 05:08:20 PM
Was that a serious question, Yi?  :huh:

Yeah.  Is it $?  C$?  I don't know.

Depends on context.

Inside Canada, it is usually simply "$". If, in context, it is necessary to differentiate it from the US dollar, one can use either the code "CAD" or the sign "C$".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius