News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Week 15, so go fuck yourselves

Started by CountDeMoney, December 13, 2013, 11:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2013, 10:10:06 AM
Did you guys hear that the FCC changed the blackout rule?  Not sure when it will take effect though.

Apparently the FCC issued an opinion or something and can't actually force the NFL to change the rule.  Some Democrat politicians are urging the NFL to change it, but even our own leftist Senator Sherrod Brown admits he can't force them to.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

They need to use the age old threat of removing the monopoly exemption.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 20, 2013, 11:30:55 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2013, 10:10:06 AM
Did you guys hear that the FCC changed the blackout rule?  Not sure when it will take effect though.

Apparently the FCC issued an opinion or something and can't actually force the NFL to change the rule.  Some Democrat politicians are urging the NFL to change it, but even our own leftist Senator Sherrod Brown admits he can't force them to.

The black out rule is just another indicator about how backwards the NFL is with how they televise games.  I just do not get it, every game should be on everywhere in the country.  Because they make all their money from ticket sales and not TV!  Well they probably did back in 1961 when they passed this rule, which just shows how antiquated and outdated it is.

Having said that I don't see what the FCC has to do with that.  If the NFL wants to handicap itself, it can go right ahead.  It is not like they need the money or anything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

The owners see the TV money as a given, but the ticket sales aren't an insignificant part of their profits.  They're going to be very careful when we're talking about millions of dollars here.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

I suspect the biggest incentive is they don't want to diminish the brand by televising empty stadiums.

Neil

Possibly.  And the stadium crowd does have an effect on team performance.  But an NFL gate is eight figures, so we're not talking about chump change either, especially when you factor in concessions.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

I'd say ticket revenue (plus concessions & whatnot) is the biggie for many/most owners, as most of it is not subject to revenue-sharing.

Bengals got an extension on the sellout deadline to 4:00pm today.  It sounded like they still had 3,000 to sell as of last night, so I have a feeling it won't sell out unless someone steps in & buys a bunch.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Media rights brings in approx. $4.95 billion/yr.
Ticket sales: $1.36 billion

So TV is the biggest slice but the ticket revenue is nothing to sneeze at - over $40 million/team.  And for the big franchises like Dallas that can sell ultra-expensive luxury boxes, it is probably considerable more than that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

That's all true.  However the blackout policy is based on the outdated and irrational fear owners had during the early days of TV that without the blackouts nobody would attend the games.  There is no evidence to support this.  They are reducing their TV audiences for no good reason.

I mean the owners freaked out when George Marshall started televising the Redskins games in the South.  HE WAS GIVING AWAY THEIR PRODUCT FOR FREE
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I have a feeling those corporate suites don't get counted for blackout purposes.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2013, 02:11:27 PM
I have a feeling those corporate suites don't get counted for blackout purposes.

Correct.  Only non-premium seats.  Also, teams don't have to share any luxury suite revenue.  I think it's like a 60/40 home/away split for ticket sales.

dps

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 20, 2013, 11:52:13 AM
They need to use the age old threat of removing the monopoly exemption.

The NFL doesn't have any monopoly exemption. 

Major League Baseball is exempt from anti-trust legislation.   Other sports don't.

Neil