News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Week 15, so go fuck yourselves

Started by CountDeMoney, December 13, 2013, 11:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

NFL fans who attend games are a special breed, for sure.  I pretty much always wear neutral colors if I'm sitting in the stands at away games.  Just not worth the potential hassle.  The only place I'd be wary of sitting in the stands under any circumstances is probably Oakland.  Colts fans seem to be best behaved. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Only been to two, the one previously mentioned and in '87 when Vikings came to Seattle.

@Valmy, yeah I remember my Dad looking at getting tickets to Super Bowl XVI down at Stanford and the prices being high....of course now that price is about same a regular ticket to games :D
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

If I hit the lottery, one thing I'd do is go to a game in every NFL stadium.  I've seen every team play, but that's just due to the sheer volume of Bengals home games I've attended.  Stadium experiences vary widely, and at least for the more established teams there are a lot of cool traditions & whatnot that are best experienced firsthand.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on December 17, 2013, 09:47:18 AM
Only been to two, the one previously mentioned and in '87 when Vikings came to Seattle.

@Valmy, yeah I remember my Dad looking at getting tickets to Super Bowl XVI down at Stanford and the prices being high....of course now that price is about same a regular ticket to games :D

My brother & dad went to a Super Bowl several years ago.  I forget what the ticket prices were, but they were going to double the next year so they figured they might as well go before they were priced out of the market.

Valmy

I think I was priced out of the Super Bowl Ticket market sometime in the mid 70s.

Pity I was not around in 1967, I could have just walked into Super Bowl I.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2013, 10:38:01 AM
The Redskins are so bad that their defeat was not even worth Shadenfreude  :(

Yes. 
I just thought it was too mean to say.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 17, 2013, 10:02:11 AM
Yes. 
I just thought it was too mean to say.

There really is no lower state for a NFL franchise to be than when the rival fans start pitying you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on December 17, 2013, 09:55:10 AM
Quote from: katmai on December 17, 2013, 09:47:18 AM

My brother & dad went to a Super Bowl several years ago.  I forget what the ticket prices were, but they were going to double the next year so they figured they might as well go before they were priced out of the market.

Sounds like what happens with FIFA World Cup and UEFA Euro Championship. Ticket prices are soaring, so that the Average Joe can barely afford going to a game in the knock out round, let alone the final.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

The NFL is a game owned by billionaires and watched and played by millionaires.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2013, 10:11:45 AM

Yet in certain circumstances you can get into an NFL game for under $20.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 17, 2013, 10:13:35 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2013, 10:11:45 AM

Yet in certain circumstances you can get into an NFL game for under $20.

Yeah if you win one of those radio contests.  And the $20.00 is for the one beer you will drink.

derspiess

No, if you just look around out there and maybe aren't too particular about seeing the best teams play you'll find a deal.  Stubhub is your friend.  Avoid pricey stadium beer-- have a couple after the game.  Bring a snack and/or hit a restaurant before or after the game. 

A few years ago I was down in Miami for a conference & took the wife with me to spend a few extra days.  Just happened to look on Stubhub and we got both our tickets for a Dolphins-Panthers game for like $30 total.  Got to sit up in the cheap seats and listen to Cubans yell death threats in Spanish at Jake Delhomme.

Admiral Yi

Yeah, I think it's pretty easy to get cheap tickets for bad teams in the second half of a losing season.  Helps if the weather is shitty.  People have offered me Skins tickets before for meaningless games.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 17, 2013, 10:47:38 AM
People have offered me Skins tickets before for meaningless games.

So lots of tickets.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

:P Not that many.  I had Joe Gibbs 1.0 for a lot of my DC years.