News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anyone out there cut their cable cord?

Started by Barrister, December 18, 2013, 03:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Wife and I have been discussing cutting back on some expenses, and one idea we keep coming back to is cutting our cable.  There's an awful lot on Netflix, most of the hockey I watch is on GameCentre, and I have to remind myself that over the air broadcasts still exist.

Has anyone out there gone for it and ditched cable tv entirely?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

Ditched cable when we moved to our house.  Don't miss it except for a few shows that aren't on Netflix/Hulu/Network TV, and if I want to see them bad enough I buy the dvds. 

The Brain

I haven't paid for cable in a long time. Cut it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Yes, we did so about 3 years ago.  Don't miss it at all.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

I'd do it if it wouldn't limit my access to live sports.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on December 18, 2013, 03:48:33 PM

That of course is the kicker for me.

Okay, I can get most Jets game on the internet, but that leaves 10-20 I'd miss.  Plus I'd completely lose out on the CFL.

But is that worth the $100 / month it costs us?

Eddie Teach

All the good shows are on cable.

$100/month? You can get cable & internet for that here.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2013, 03:49:58 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 18, 2013, 03:48:33 PM

That of course is the kicker for me.

Okay, I can get most Jets game on the internet, but that leaves 10-20 I'd miss.  Plus I'd completely lose out on the CFL.

But is that worth the $100 / month it costs us?

You can probably get basic cable for less than that?

I like to DVR a lot of stuff that I couldnt get otherwise and I like to watch football and basketball so cutting cable isnt really an option yet.

If you dont already do it, just make your lunch to make up the difference.

katmai

I know my mother has since she got the Apple TV, except for some things can't see through the trio of netflix/hulu/hd antenna for network tv.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

100$/Month is for 30 channels +base + HBO + The Movie Network + telephone + taxes.  If you pay 100$/month solely for cable, you have too much stuff.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

BB, just did a quick price check, with Telus, for 100 bucks (on sale now for 60) you get both internet and their Optik TV.  If you are paying 100 bucks for just cable you are paying some kind of premium.

Syt

I've cut my cable (I only get the 30 or so "normal" TV channels). Unfortunately, we have nothing even remotely near Netflix. The best you can hope for are video on demand portals where you lend movies for between €0.99 for old movies and €4.99 for new movies (non-HD, often only German dubbed), or the very meager offering of iTunes. So I download series/and TV (thanks to Austria's comparatively lenient laws on private torrenting) and buy on disc the things I really like and want to watch in high quality on a somewhat regular basis (I have 300+ DVDs and blu rays).

In the end I had my cable sub mostly for the NFL and NCAA football, but as ESPN folded in Europe and the football games were taken over by a TV station I don't really care for .... I watch MLB and NFL online only.

I wished there was a decent video on demand portal over here with a wide selection and dual audio that worked on a subscription model. I've completely stopped downloading MP3s since I signed up with Spotify, for example.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 18, 2013, 04:01:32 PM
BB, just did a quick price check, with Telus, for 100 bucks (on sale now for 60) you get both internet and their Optik TV.  If you are paying 100 bucks for just cable you are paying some kind of premium.

Well yes, we have all the movie channels and HBO, which adds up a fair bit as well.

But cutting off cable would be a shared sacrifice.  I'd lose some sports, and my wife would lose those movie channels (which means no Walking Dead, no True Blood, etc.).  I can't ask my wife to cut out her movie channels, but I get to keep the sports package.