News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nelson Mandela RIP

Started by Sheilbh, December 05, 2013, 05:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on December 06, 2013, 09:31:07 AM
Just copying a tweet a news reporter sent, about Peter Tatchell's assessment of Mandela:

Peter Tatchell: Mandela ranks alongside Ghandi, but got it wrong on HIV, poverty + Mugabe

Gandhi got it wrong on the Nazis, industry, and rights of women.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on December 05, 2013, 10:03:33 PM
The thing is, I am not sure they were serious missteps.  He had a militant period, but it seems pretty clear he was fighting injustice and tyranny.  When it came time to make peace, he not only did so, he worked hard to include even those who worked on the side of injustice.  The measure of the man is not that he might have fought when it was time to fight, but that he was willing to forgive when it was time to forgive.  South Africa is not Zimbabwe for a reason, and I think that is the legacy of Mandela.  Now let's see if others can live up to that.

It's not like he was running around McVeighing up South Africa.  But Americans have a particular disconnect when it comes to synthesizing the moral applications of violence when it comes to people who don't wear uniforms.  Violence is an option for the oppressor, never the oppressed.  Fits within their selective notions of good and evil.
It's either Gandhi or Patton for them, there's nothing in between.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 06, 2013, 09:47:20 AM
The thing is, I am not sure they were serious missteps.  He had a militant period, but it seems pretty clear he was fighting injustice and tyranny.  When it came time to make peace, he not only did so, he worked hard to include even those who worked on the side of injustice.  The measure of the man is not that he might have fought when it was time to fight, but that he was willing to forgive when it was time to forgive.  South Africa is not Zimbabwe for a reason, and I think that is the legacy of Mandela.  Now let's see if others can live up to that.

It's not like he was running around McVeighing up South Africa.  But Americans have a particular disconnect when it comes to synthesizing the moral applications of violence when it comes to people who don't wear uniforms.  Violence is an option for the oppressor, never the oppressed.  Fits within their selective notions of good and evil.

Odd.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 06, 2013, 09:47:20 AM

Most of the men who fought in the Revolution didn't wear uniforms and they're still glorified.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 06, 2013, 10:00:03 AM
Most of the men who fought in the Revolution didn't wear uniforms and they're still glorified.

I'd say most of them wore some sort of uniform.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Is it true that Mandela was still in the US terrorist watchlist until 2008?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on December 06, 2013, 10:14:59 AM
Is it true that Mandela was still in the US terrorist watchlist until 2008?

We don't like black people who use violence against oppression.  Makes them all uppity and hatnot.  We prefer them to go to church and bitch about it there instead.

garbon

Careful, dear. You are becoming as one note as Marti.

derspiess

I wonder if Seedy's mom is washing his dashikis now that he's back at home :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Not my problem political violence is a foreign concept to Americans.  Lucky for us, though.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 06, 2013, 10:42:53 AM
I wonder if Seedy's mom is washing his dashikis now that he's back at home :hmm:

I haven't worn mine in forever. :(

derspiess

Was it a Kwanzaa present from your aunt?  She still off the Kwanzaa?  :(

crazy canuck

Well said