Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on March 20, 2014, 10:17:16 AM
QuoteRussians who see US negatively, via @levada_ru:
March 2012: 35%
March 2013: 39%
January 2014: 44%
March 2014: 56%
http://www.levada.ru/18-03-2014/otnoshenie-rossiyan-k-drugim-stranam ...

THANKS OBAMA

RESET BUTTON
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Brazen on March 20, 2014, 10:19:19 AM
Apparently the Ukraine crisis is going to kill NATO:
Why the Russian invasion of Crimea could signal the end of the NATO alliance, by Professor Michael Ben-Gad, City University London.

"The likely outcome of the Russian absorption of Crimea and the subsequent feeble response from the West signals the fracturing and potentially the ultimate demise of NATO and the Western Alliance.

"In fact, it may already be too late to save NATO, and the small Estonian city of Narva is where it might well fall apart.

"Perhaps in the not too distant future, Russian border guards will be told to walk the 400 metres across the empty field that separates Narva's town hall from the Russian border, and help the locals seize control of their city.

"How might the US and its Western allies respond? Would they send troops to push the Russians back? In Estonia? How would they get there? And what then? Is NATO then prepared to then head north and re-enact the siege of Leningrad? Would it threaten nuclear war? Over Narva?

"The lazy assumptions that the NATO alliance will continue to guarantee the sovereignty and freedom of its European allies can no longer be taken for granted.

"Those opposed to the maintenance of an independent nuclear capability in either the UK or France might want to think again."

Thank God you beat Siege to this one.  Otherwise, I'd have to go to work drunk.
Experience bij!

DGuller

I'm surprised the spike only started after Ukrainian events, given the virulence of anti-American propaganda on Russian state TV stations for a while now.

Sheilbh

Yeah, I'm surprised so few Russians see the US negatively :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2014, 05:09:56 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 19, 2014, 07:34:21 PM
I think Britain is actually pretty coherent as a unit, both genetically and culturally. 

There is sure some strikingly homogenous facial structures walking around here, which is kind of odd coming from Hungary, where everyone is a product of constant mixing of Slavs, Turks, Germans, and remnants of Uralic "material".
http://www.amazon.com/Saxons-Vikings-Celts-Genetic-Britain/dp/0393330753/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395330545&sr=1-3

Read that maybe 2-3 months ago, worth it if you have any interest in British history. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: DGuller on March 20, 2014, 10:22:38 AM
I'm surprised the spike only started after Ukrainian events, given the virulence of anti-American propaganda on Russian state TV stations for a while now.
TBH there's probably more a sliding scale than those numbers would suggest.  Maybe 80% of Russians think the USA government is evil and works to actively thwart Holy Rus in all of it's endeavors, but 30% of those think that Americans as a people are still okay.   
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on March 20, 2014, 08:15:26 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 20, 2014, 07:25:24 AM
I, for one, am glad that Aggie is keeping grumbles distracted.

Not even I am willing to wade through that!  tl;dr

You win, Age.  Congrats.

If I hadn't already poured myself one earlier I'd immediately "open the bar" and reach for the Calvados.

:cheers:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Barrister

Surely modern Russian citizens know to take the media fairly skeptically by now.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on March 20, 2014, 11:26:16 AM

Surely modern Russian citizens know to take the media fairly skeptically by now.

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

You would think that, living in Canada, but unfortunately it doesn't really work that way.  First of all, Russians are not exactly the people with the most developed critical thinking skills.  Secondly, even the most skeptical person would buy into bits and pieces of propaganda, when that's virtually all the information available to him.

Tamas

No modern people today anywhere, as a general rule, know to take the media sceptically. Countries like Russia where it has been the standard to have the Higher Ups tell you what is what and surest way to advance was to echo official sentiments and ideology (since, like, forever), such a sceptical view will be introduced extremely slowly.

celedhring

Dunno, for some reason I get the feeling everyday Russian Ivan Ivanovich doesn't give that much of a damn about the whole thing. There was a government-backed demo in Moscow shortly after the non-invasion by the non-Russians and the attendance was pretty pitiful for a city the size of Moscow.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2014, 12:24:02 PM
Dunno, for some reason I get the feeling everyday Russian Ivan Ivanovich doesn't give that much of a damn about the whole thing. There was a government-backed demo in Moscow shortly after the non-invasion by the non-Russians and the attendance was pretty pitiful for a city the size of Moscow.

Precisely.  They know their own government has been lying to them for years and years.

Remember there were some massive street protests in Moscow just a couple years ago protesting the most recent election.  An awful lot of people aren't buying the party line anymore.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

That is different than being anti-US.

I mean, attitude to the US is indifferent at best everywhere I have been to in Europe. Most Hungarians despise it, out of jealousy, mostly. I have no reason to believe that the Russians would be the exception to this rule.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on March 20, 2014, 12:30:46 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2014, 12:24:02 PM

Precisely.  They know their own government has been lying to them for years and years.

Remember there were some massive street protests in Moscow just a couple years ago protesting the most recent election.  An awful lot of people aren't buying the party line anymore.
Knowing that the government is lying to them, and buying into the propaganda, are not mutually exclusive concepts.