And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on March 21, 2014, 08:46:09 AM
Meanwhile, the EU is moving forward with trade association with Ukraine:

The Ukraine is a pretty big deadweight, can the EU economy shoulder it?  I appreciate the effort though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Is that anime style fanart of the new attorney general!?   :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2014, 08:48:08 AM

The Ukraine is a pretty big deadweight, can the EU economy shoulder it?  I appreciate the effort though.
It's the same deal that Yanukovich didn't want to sign and that triggered the protests on the Maidan, hence "Euromaidan".

jimmy olsen

The EU gets new markets, and the Ukrainian businesses implode due to superior competition. As long as Ukrainians can't move en masse into other EU countries what's the down side for the EU?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Iormlund

I doubt it is a straight free trade deal since the EU has already announced we are dropping unilaterally pretty much all tariffs on Ukrainian goods without need for reciprocity.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2014, 09:03:14 AM

The EU gets new markets, and the Ukrainian businesses implode due to superior competition. As long as Ukrainians can't move en masse into other EU countries what's the down side for the EU?

I can't see it being so beneficial to Ukraine though.  There's only so many nesting dolls and fur hats you can sell to the West.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2014, 09:11:34 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2014, 09:03:14 AM

I can't see it being so beneficial to Ukraine though.  There's only so many nesting dolls and fur hats you can sell to the West.
You sound like a man who's never tried this:

:mad:

Tamas

I was told that Ukrainian and Russian deserts are basically just one big bomb of sugar/sweetness with no other taste.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2014, 09:25:11 AM
I was told that Ukrainian and Russian deserts are basically just one big bomb of sugar/sweetness with no other taste.

So...American deserts?

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2014, 09:25:11 AM
Generally true, but not always.

PJL

Once Ukraine has held presidential elections on May 25 and a new administration is in place, the EU plans to move ahead with signing a free-trade agreement with Ukraine, giving the country unfettered access to the EU's market of 500 million consumers.

I guess Russia will invade before then, just to make sure it doesn't happen.

Valmy

Robert Strauss, the last US ambassador to the USSR/first US ambassador to non-Tsarist Russia, died a few days ago.  I had been thinking about him recently since he was a UT grad and we named our school of foreign affairs at the LBJ school after him and we were always hearing about his legacy forging 'peaceful relations with Russia'.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017