News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

A history of religious diversity that has recently been interrupted, linguistic diversity, on the border between continents, peak Imperial power in the Early Modern followed by long, humiliating decline due to prolonged religious conflict.....I think the climate is pretty similar in a lot of respects, but I haven't been to Spain.  There's some interesting culinary parallels, too. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Iormlund

Heh. Spain hasn't been religiously diverse for five centuries.

I'll give you the climate thing, although Anatolia is higher, so winters are noticeably harsher. Food in Turkey is much spicier and sweeter.

Ed Anger

*downs the entire fucking bottle*

Christ.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

I think there's a lot of structural similarities between the Reconquista Kingdoms and the Uc Beyliks of the Turks, and some similarities between the Byzantines and Andalucians. 

Isn't quite a bit of Spain hilly?  Though yeah, Turkey is actually quite mountainous and hilly outside of the core Turkish steppe zone from Ankara to Konya. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

I also think the core mentality is very similar.  Turks and Spaniards are both mongrels who pretend to not be mongrels. 

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 19, 2014, 06:11:30 PM
*downs the entire fucking bottle*

Christ.

I was afraid you would see this.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on March 19, 2014, 06:16:50 PM
I also think the core mentality is very similar.  Turks and Spaniards are both mongrels who pretend to not be mongrels. 

Something no pureblooded Frenchman would ever consider doing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Quote from: Queequeg on March 19, 2014, 06:14:13 PM
Isn't quite a bit of Spain hilly?

Very, but in general altitudes are lower than in Anatolia and most of the population lives in the valleys or the coast. Much of the interior is sparsely populated.

Culturally you are very much correct. Genetically Spaniards are amongst the most homogeneous populations in Europe.

Sheilbh

Isn't that Europe in general? :mellow:

Quote*downs the entire fucking bottle*

Christ.
:console:
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

QuoteIsn't that Europe in general?
I think Britain is actually pretty coherent as a unit, both genetically and culturally.  Same with Scandinavia, to a certain extent Germany. 

QuoteGenetically Spaniards are amongst the most homogeneous populations in Europe.
It was a last glacial maximum refugia, it's a peninsula and is thousands of miles away from the Steppe, Europe's traditional entry point for new genetics.  Besides that I think there's probably a difference between multi-generational inhabitants of the Basque country or Pamplona and an inhabitant of Cadiz. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on March 19, 2014, 07:34:21 PM
I think Britain is actually pretty coherent as a unit, both genetically and culturally.  Same with Scandinavia, to a certain extent Germany. 
So Britain's a country of not-mongrels who pretend to be mongrels? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 19, 2014, 07:36:40 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 19, 2014, 07:34:21 PM
So Britain's a country of not-mongrels who pretend to be mongrels? :mellow:
If you look at the genetics that's pretty much what it is. 

Queequeg

The vast majority of the Isles speak English, share a Capitalist and Liberal culture and are united by the experience of the Empire and shared educational and cultural establishments.  Also, the Norse-Anglo Saxon genetic contribution to the British Isles (it's close to impossible to tell the difference) reaches like 30% in East Anglia and York, a bit higher in Kirkwall, and...that's about it. 

Admiral Yi

I would not take it amiss if a kindly mod where to create a new thread from the Squeeljack.