News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on March 14, 2014, 11:49:43 AM
Correct.  However, the proper response to tanks being moved around in Russia isn't "Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck ."  Tanks were being moved around in Russia yesterday, and last week, and last month, and last year, and for many years before that.  Spellus needs to save "Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck " for actual bad news, else he will get a rep as "the Boy who Cried Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck."
He does swear quite a bit, doesn't he? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2014, 11:57:40 AM
Grumbler is in a mood today.

Same as yesterday. And the day before. And every day since at least the Battle of Borodino.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on March 14, 2014, 01:31:08 PM
Same as yesterday. And the day before. And every day since at least the Battle of Borodino.

Borodino was some heavy shit.  Tough one to get over.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2014, 10:37:04 AM
Oh, I guess I stepped on the Raz tripwire by lightly criticizing a Democrat.

How has my stance on Ukraine changed each day?  And what does Rand have to do with it?

Rand Paul's stand has changed wildly and you proudly proclaim to "Stand with Rand".

http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

QuoteCut bait on Crimea, try to secure minority rights there for ethnic Ukrainians & Tatars.  Make it abundantly clear that Russia is not to move any further.  Push for some sort of compensation to Ukraine for loss of territory (if not, keep sanctions in place and/or ratchet them up a bit).  Then Ukraine in NATO (EU decision is between Ukraine and EU but sounds good to me).  Possibly quietly talk to Ukraine about jettisoning a troublesome Russian-majority oblast or two to make the country more stable long-term.

Here's what you said you wanted to do.  As I read this you seem interested in giving up more of Ukraine to Russia.  So what exactly is your beef with Kerry?  Or are you just making attacks on him cause that's what you do?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2014, 01:36:32 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 14, 2014, 01:31:08 PM

Borodino was some heavy shit.  Tough one to get over.

I don't think he ever got over Zorndorf, myself. Borodino was just the icing on the cake.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2014, 01:46:58 PM
Rand Paul's stand has changed wildly and you proudly proclaim to "Stand with Rand".

http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

I'm starting to wonder if you're incapable of recognizing shtick.  At any rate, I have not referenced Sen. Paul during this discussion nor have I paid much attention to his statements on this particular issue.

QuoteCut bait on Crimea, try to secure minority rights there for ethnic Ukrainians & Tatars.  Make it abundantly clear that Russia is not to move any further.  Push for some sort of compensation to Ukraine for loss of territory (if not, keep sanctions in place and/or ratchet them up a bit).  Then Ukraine in NATO (EU decision is between Ukraine and EU but sounds good to me).  Possibly quietly talk to Ukraine about jettisoning a troublesome Russian-majority oblast or two to make the country more stable long-term.

Here's what you said you wanted to do. 

Bolded the important parts for you.  I think we should have a private conversation with Ukraine about what we (or I since I'm pretty much alone on this) think they should do, but publicly support their territorial integrity, including Crimea.  Knowing that Crimea is a fait accompli, still use it as a bargaining chip, or at least a rhetorical weapon to use against Putin.

QuoteAs I read this you seem interested in giving up more of Ukraine to Russia.  So what exactly is your beef with Kerry?  Or are you just making attacks on him cause that's what you do?

My "beef" is a light one & only half serious.  Overall I've been very supportive of him, but I guess nothing short of overwhelming praise will please you.

Anyway, I think he should be a little more specific on what we're threatening to do (not ruling anything *out*, just spelling out some particulars on what we most likely will do), and a little more specific on what action (or inaction) we want out of Russia.

But why am I bothering to explain my position to you?  You'll ignore the important points & take things out of context like you always do.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

No, I just wanted to know if you were serious or not.  I'm actually displeased with the President on this.  This might surprise you but I want a much firmer response, and I think the Syrian fuck up was like a green light to Putin.  Unless Obama can figure out a way to get the Russians out of Ukraine in the next few hours this will be a massive foreign policy failure.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2014, 03:25:25 PM
No, I just wanted to know if you were serious or not.  I'm actually displeased with the President on this.  This might surprise you but I want a much firmer response, and I think the Syrian fuck up was like a green light to Putin.  Unless Obama can figure out a way to get the Russians out of Ukraine in the next few hours this will be a massive foreign policy failure.

Okay, now I get to ask questions.  What would you have done in Obama/Kerry's place?

Queequeg

"Вот так надо жить России с Украиной"
"This is how Russia should live with Ukraine!"
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Malthus

Quote from: Queequeg on March 14, 2014, 03:55:45 PM

They should have a lesbian affair?  :hmm:

Works for me!  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

Quote from: Malthus on March 14, 2014, 03:59:21 PM

I similarly endorse this.  Passionately. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Larch

Malthus

Quote from: Queequeg on March 14, 2014, 04:01:11 PM

I similarly endorse this.  Passionately.

Unfortunately, the reality is more like a straightforward ass-raping, a pic of which would be NSFW.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

katmai

QuoteMoscow (AFP) - A United States surveillance drone has been intercepted above the Ukranian region of Crimea, a Russian state arms and technology group said Friday.

"The drone was flying at about 4,000 metres (12,000 feet) and was virtually invisible from the ground. It was possible to break the link with US operators with complex radio-electronic" technology, said Rostec in a statement.

The drone fell "almost intact into the hands of self-defence forces" added Rostec, which said it had manufactured the equipment used to down the aircraft, but did not specify who was operating it.

"Judging by its identification number, UAV MQ-5B belonged to the 66th American Reconnaissance Brigade, based in Bavaria," Rostec said on its website, which also carried a picture of what it said was the captured drone.

The photograph appeared to show an apparently armed drone in flight, rather than debris.

The Crimean port of Sevastopol is home to Russia's Black Sea Fleet, which is believed to be equipped with detection equipment.

Crimea, where pro-Kremlin forces have control, is to hold a referendum on Sunday on the peninsula joining Russia, in what Moscow says is a fair expression of self identity but the West views as an illegal annexation of sovereign territory.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

This is the kind of western decadent destruction of traditional values that Putin is fighting so hard against.  What a monster.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."