And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Beenherebefore on March 14, 2014, 05:47:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2014, 04:54:42 PM
@Malthus: I was fooled by the Slavfros at Sochi.

But in that case Russia is clearly going to buttfuck Ukraine.

Beeb: I can't keep those ridiculous three color flags apart.

You'd make an excellent ambassador.

He'll have some great lunches with Martim Silva.

Razgovory

I sorta expected Jacob to tell me why my view is wrong. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2014, 06:39:51 PM

Well, I understand the impulse; but I'm not sure going balls out let's-have-a-new-cold-war-or-a-nuclear-one-your-move-Putin over the Ukraine is the best choice. I mean, if it was a strategy game I'd go that way, because I could always reload or do another game if it went wrong.

So I won't say it's wrong, but it's a pretty risky course of action.

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2014, 04:28:55 PM
Russia is clearly the bottom in that picture.  Look at the body language. :huh:
You think Lesbian sex has bottoms?   :hmm:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

I mean, I guess they're both possible, but it's hardly a norm. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tonitrus

Queequeg

I still don't think that the lesbian community has any kind of real analog to the pitcher/catcher division. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on March 14, 2014, 06:44:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2014, 06:39:51 PM

Well, I understand the impulse; but I'm not sure going balls out let's-have-a-new-cold-war-or-a-nuclear-one-your-move-Putin over the Ukraine is the best choice. I mean, if it was a strategy game I'd go that way, because I could always reload or do another game if it went wrong.

So I won't say it's wrong, but it's a pretty risky course of action.

I would certainly prefer to avoid a cold war and certainly a hot one, but the situation will send two bad messages to the world.  The first is that without nukes, you can't expect to keep your borders.  The second one is that border disagreements can be solved through force without much in the way of repercussions.  I strongly feel that stopping aggression in Ukraine will serve to stop aggression elsewhere.  And likewise the failure to stop aggression will result in more more aggression elsewhere.  I do not think that placement of troops would be particularly risky, and may in fact be less risky then doing nothing in the long run.  But's that's my personal opinion.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on March 14, 2014, 07:26:46 PM

It wouldn't have had quite the same effect if I'd said butch and fem.

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2014, 08:44:15 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 14, 2014, 07:26:46 PM

It wouldn't have had quite the same effect if I'd said butch and fem.
That doesn't equate at all.  That's culture and personality. 

Lettow77

What's important here is recognizing this picture does more to legitimize russian aggression in the Ukraine than anything Putin has said thus far.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Syt

ATTACK ON RADIO STATION!

Well, sorta. :P

http://rt.com/news/ukraine-attacks-television-satellites-990/

QuoteAttempt to jam Russian satellites carried out from Western Ukraine

An attempted radio-electronic attack on Russian television satellites from the territory of Western Ukraine has been recorded by the Ministry of Communications. It comes days after Ukraine blocked Russian TV channels, a move criticized by the OSCE.

The ministry noted that "people who make such decisions" to attack Russian satellites that retransmit TV signals, "should think about the consequences," Ria reports. The ministry did not share any details of the attack.

Earlier this week, the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) criticized Kiev's "repressive" move to halt the broadcasting of Russian TV channels after the Ukrainian media watchdog claimed that shutting down TV stations ensured "national security and sovereignty" of Ukraine.

"Banning programming without a legal basis is a form of censorship; national security concerns should not be used at the expense of media freedom," OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media Dunja Mijatović said.

More than half of Ukraine's population speaks Russian regularly and one third say it's their native tongue. In Crimea over 90 percent of the population uses Russian on an everyday basis.

On Thursday, a number of Russian state TV channels websites suffered a large cyber-attack partially coming from Ukraine.

Russia's Channel One website was temporarily unavailable due to a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack. Meanwhile, Russia-24 TV also said it suffered from a "massive network attack."

According to Itar-Tass, the targeted Russian media have connected attacks to their editorial policy of covering the recent events in Ukraine.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

More worryingly:

http://rt.com/news/ukraine-kharkov-radicals-attack-982/

QuoteTwo killed in gunmen attack on anti-Maidan activists in Kharkov – reports

Two people were killed overnight in Ukraine's Kharkov, where gunmen from the radical Right Sector movement attacked self-defense activists and took hostages. Police eventually detained the armed people and the hostages were released.

The armed group barricaded itself inside the local headquarters of Right Sector, from where it was shooting and throwing flash grenades and Molotov cocktails at Kharkov anti-Maidan activists who gathered outside.

Two people were killed in the shooting and at least four more were wounded, authorities said. The armed group took hostage three men – two activists and one policeman – who reportedly went inside to negotiate their surrender.

Mayor Gennady Kernes managed to get one of the hostages out after spending around 10 minutes inside the barricaded Right Sector headquarters.

"There are around 40 radicals inside," Kernes told journalists, as cited by Itar-Tass. "Two men remain hostage, one of whom is a policeman who entered the building for negotiations."

Police deployed at the scene cordoned off the area and in the early hours of Saturday stormed the building. Around 30 gunmen were detained as a result.

"We have started to identify these people, as they don't have passports with them," Anatoly Dmitriev, the head of the Kharkov region police told Itar-Tass. "We'll lift fingerprints from weapons, which are left inside the building."

The incident reportedly began after a Kharkov self-defence group patrolling the city square noticed a suspicious Volkswagen van and tried to stop it. It was the same van involved in a shooting back on March 8, when one of the anti-Maidan activists was wounded.

When the driver refused to stop, LifeNews reports, activists chased the van to the building on Rymarska Street, where the office of Right Sector is located.

The shooting started after the activists tried to enter the building. Gunmen were also throwing flash grenades and Molotov cocktails from the second floor of the building, LifeNews reports.

Activists had to retreat waiting for police and ambulances to arrive. Meanwhile numerous videos of the incident captured by the activists and have been uploaded on YouTube.

The mayor of Kharkov Gennady Kernes also arrived at the scene for "negotiations," but when he approached the building the shooting resumed, local activist Sergey Yudaev who was live streaming the incident told RT.

Yudaev said that local authorities were apparently covering up the actions of Right Sector and trying to hide the fact that the group has a hideout with a cache of weapons in that building. Yudaev also confirmed the incident on March 8, when a group in that exact van attacked several peaceful activists who were returning from an anti-Maidan rally.

Yudaev also said that it took activists almost 40 minutes to make the police respond to the call, since the new police chief appointed by the Kiev "junta" is covering up all crimes carried out by the Right Sector in Kharkov.

The local "junta controlled" media, Yudaev warned, have already twisted the story and tried to present it as an attack by Oplot movement on an office of some "political organization" that has nothing to do with Right Sector. But the group inside the building is anything but peaceful, Yudaev said, as videos clearly show Molotov cocktails being thrown at people standing outside.

On Thursday, bloody clashes in the city of Donetsk between rival rallies ended with a murder and multiple wounded. This proves those in power in Kiev do not control the situation in Ukraine, Russia's Foreign Ministry stated, stressing Moscow reserves right to protect compatriots.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on March 14, 2014, 11:31:39 PM
That doesn't equate at all.  That's culture and personality.

It correlates positively with aggression and dominance.