News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on February 27, 2014, 06:14:10 PM
I think Speesh frequently expresses authoritarian sentiments, yes. I did not mean to suggest that only authoritarians are hostile to journalists; I think that's your habitual hostile reading of my posts that's speaking again.

Yet my "habitual hostile reading of your posts" led to me the correct conclusion that your were accusing Speesh of authoritarian sentiments.

derspiess

Any examples of my authoritarianism, Jake?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2014, 07:38:37 PMYet my "habitual hostile reading of your posts" led to me the correct conclusion that your were accusing Speesh of authoritarian sentiments.

That is correct. I'm not protesting that part at all, because that's what I said - I thought, as Sheilbh did, that I was pretty direct (you and I have a different definition of passive-aggressive, it seems). That, however, does not support your characterizing my post as saying "only authoritarians are hostile to journalists".

As an aside, I didn't realize that considering derspiess to be authoritarian was a controversial position.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on February 27, 2014, 08:03:04 PM
As an aside, I didn't realize that considering derspiess to be authoritarian was a controversial position.

That's the downside of being in one's own thought bubble. Other ideas and viewpoints are silenced. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2014, 07:41:27 PM
Any examples of my authoritarianism, Jake?

Look, I'm happy to take your word that you're not an authoritarian, but it is the general impression you've given me over the years on this board. Perhaps much of what's caused me to think that was trolling on your part, in which case it's merely that the persona you project when you're trolling that's authoritarian. That's fair enough, maybe it's not the real you.

Off the top of my head, I'd say some of these things has contributed to my impression:

- Your gleeful support for rightwing dictators like Pinochet.
- The position you took and language you used discussing the Treyvon Martin case when that was a thing.
- Your disdain towards journalists.
- Your disdain towards protestors.
- A tendency to cheer on applications of force - be it military or police - especially when applied to people you disagree with politically.

Maybe I've gotten the wrong read on you. Like I said to Yi, I didn't think it was going to be controversial to call you an authoritarian within the context of Languish politics or the epitaphs you and I trade here; the point of the barb was categorizing you with pro-Putin Russian thugs.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

That is correct. I'm not protesting that part at all, because that's what I said - I thought, as Sheilbh did, that I was pretty direct (you and I have a different definition of passive-aggressive, it seems). That, however, does not support your characterizing my post as saying "only authoritarians are hostile to journalists".
Kay.

QuoteAs an aside, I didn't realize that considering derspiess to be authoritarian was a controversial position.

How would it not be?  Has he ever expressed approval of dictatorship, control of the press, thought police, or any of the other hallmarks of authoritarianism?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on February 27, 2014, 08:13:52 PM
- Your gleeful support for rightwing dictators like Pinochet.

WE WERE ON A COLD WAR.

Quote- The position you took and language you used discussing the Treyvon Martin case when that was a thing.

Honestly not sure how much of what I said indicated authoritarianism.

Quote- Your disdain towards journalists.

That's shtick & a Languish meme.  I support a broad interpretation of the First Amendment and all the journalists I know personally (there are quite a few) I respect and admire. 

Quote- Your disdain towards protestors.

In two recent examples I very much support protestors :goodboy:

But seriously, it does depend on the context.  Though I don't think I've challenged people's right to protest. 

Quote- A tendency to cheer on applications of force - be it military or police - especially when applied to people you disagree with politically.

Drawing a blank here.

QuoteMaybe I've gotten the wrong read on you.

You do sometimes take me too seriously-- e.g. the whore pill thing.

QuoteLike I said to Yi, I didn't think it was going to be controversial to call you an authoritarian within the context of Languish politics or the epitaphs you and I trade here; the point of the barb was categorizing you with pro-Putin Russian thugs.

Yeah.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2014, 08:04:36 PM

That's the downside of being in one's own thought bubble. Other ideas and viewpoints are silenced. :(

Languish is its very own special bubble, that's for sure.

Ed Anger

Jacob

My heart is not really in it to do a thorough dissection and debate on the topic of "derspiess: authoritarian?" It would be a shtick based argument, I think. The non-shtick derspiess seems a decent enough guy.

What's the best way to engage on a non-shtick level?

Neil

I'm not exactly authoritarian, but I like my society to be orderly.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on February 27, 2014, 10:17:55 PM
My heart is not really in it to do a thorough dissection and debate on the topic of "derspiess: authoritarian?" It would be a shtick based argument, I think. The non-shtick derspiess seems a decent enough guy.

I accept your unconditional surrender :hug:

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2014, 11:35:37 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 27, 2014, 10:17:55 PM

I accept your unconditional surrender :hug: