And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

derspiess

More Lenin statues are being toppled :punk:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Queequeg on February 21, 2014, 10:52:28 AM
John McCaun would have had us letting our birds fly over Tskhinvali. There is no one whose opinion deserves less weight on the subject.

Why would we intervene in Ukraine and not, say, Venezuela?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2014, 11:16:08 AM
More Lenin statues are being toppled :punk:

It amazes me that, 25 years after the fall of the URSS, Ukraine of all places still has statues of Lenin.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on February 21, 2014, 11:21:32 AM
Why is it in English?

Because English is the official unofficial language of Europe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

The significant thing about that image is that the Russian envoy didn't sign.

Tamas

Quote from: Maximus on February 21, 2014, 11:25:37 AM
The significant thing about that image is that the Russian envoy didn't sign.

:yes:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

All I can say is that this deal sounds about almost as good as the West could hope for.  I sure hope it works, prevents further bloodshed, and results in a change of President later this year.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Yup. Sounds like a great deal, if it ends the bloodshed and leads to a freer Ukraine.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

The one things that is a little concerning is how pliable the constitution is.  What's the safeguard against another amendment that again undoes what was agreed upon, other than the threat of another bloodbath?

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on February 21, 2014, 11:51:23 AM
The one things that is a little concerning is how pliable the constitution is.  What's the safeguard against another amendment that again undoes what was agreed upon, other than the threat of another bloodbath?

Ultimately, it is the threat of a bloodbath - or rather, the loss of legitimacy and hence loss of power, that may lead to a bloodbath - that underpins all constitutions, rather than their specific terms. The best-drafted, most binding terms in the world are worthless if the government can effectively get away with ignoring them. 

What interests me is whether the army was sounded out on crushing the protesters by force - and indicated it would refuse.

Zanza

Heh, our foreign minister doing something worthwhile? Haven't seen that for years...