News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on February 21, 2014, 01:55:05 PM
He's actually got a PhD in sports science from the Kiev university.

Not sure how much that information helps actually.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2014, 01:48:33 PM
My understanding is that blondie was not personally implicated in corruption but others in her government were.  I'd be happy to have my misconception corrected if it is one.

Nope - she was convicted of abuse of public office over signing a big gas deal. Not sure of all the ins and outs of it, though it is pretty clear her conviction was, ahem, slightly political.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_cases_against_Yulia_Tymoshenko_since_2010#Tymoshenko.27s_trial
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on February 21, 2014, 01:56:17 PM
Nope - she was convicted of abuse of public office over signing a big gas deal. Not sure of all the ins and outs of it, though it is pretty clear her conviction was, ahem, slightly political.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_cases_against_Yulia_Tymoshenko_since_2010#Tymoshenko.27s_trial

Make up your mind.

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2014, 01:56:06 PM

Shows that he is not just popular, but actually at least somewhat smart.

Malthus

Quote from: Liep on February 21, 2014, 01:49:51 PM
Does Klitschko own any companies? At least he doesn't strike me as the typical oligarch.

I don't think so.

In Ukraine, though, boxing pros very often have links to organized crime - it isn't unusual for a boxing pro to make the leap to politics as a result of contacts made through boxing clubs with underworld types, leading to powerful connections.

My source for this is McMafia: http://www.amazon.com/McMafia-Journey-Through-Criminal-Underworld/dp/1400095123

This isn't to say he's a crook, of course. I know nothing about him.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on February 21, 2014, 02:01:45 PM

You sure?  Can you vouch for Kiev University and their Sports Science department?

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2014, 01:57:21 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 21, 2014, 01:56:17 PM

Make up your mind.

?

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on February 21, 2014, 02:01:45 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2014, 01:56:06 PM

Or he was before his brain absorbed thousands of blows from some of the biggest hitters in the world.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on February 21, 2014, 02:03:10 PM
?

Either it was a legit conviction and she's corrupt, or it was a bullshit conviction and she's not.

Razgovory

It's entirely possible (and probably likely), that she is guilty of corruption charges, but was only charged because she was a political enemy.  It's also possible that her corruption was so blatant that even her allies wouldn't try to save her.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2014, 02:06:58 PM
It's also possible that her corruption was so blatant that even her allies wouldn't try to save her.

They have saved her now.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2014, 02:06:58 PM
It's entirely possible (and probably likely), that she is guilty of corruption charges, but was only charged because she was a political enemy.  It's also possible that her corruption was so blatant that even her allies wouldn't try to save her.

:huh:

Timoshenko has been a cause celebre both inside and outside of Ukraine ever since her imprisonment.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Police from parts of western Ukraine have come to Kiev to support the protesters.  Klitschko is having a hard time selling the deal to the protesters in Maidan.  They're apparently by 10:00am tomorrow or "storm" (?)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2014, 02:05:37 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 21, 2014, 02:03:10 PM
?

Either it was a legit conviction and she's corrupt, or it was a bullshit conviction and she's not.
Why can't it be both?  She is incredibly corrupt, but the conviction was bullshit (and even if she were convicted for something she were guilty of, selective justice is still injustice).

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on February 21, 2014, 02:49:03 PM
Why can't it be both?  She is incredibly corrupt, but the conviction was bullshit (and even if she were convicted for something she were guilty of, selective justice is still injustice).

Of course it can be both, but then we need some evidence apart from the trial verdict to determine she was corrupt.

Is there any?