News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Viking on May 08, 2014, 10:07:05 AM
@syt - spray painting the ukrainian flag, a successor state of  the soviet union, on the memorial to the soldiers of the 2nd and 3rd ukrainina fronts might be considered fitting. Anyways Russia complaining about treaty from 1955 while ignoring the budapest memorandum from 1995 is chutzpah.

They also harp on about "freedom of press" or "freedom and democracy" when criticizing events in other countries - the double standards are strong with them, and they're not even very good at pretending.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on May 08, 2014, 09:58:30 AM
Actually, Austria is probably in unique position here.  The Soviets removed the Nazis from their lands without actually replacing them with themselves.  Of course, the extent to which Austria was an unwilling partner of Germany could be debated;  if it wasn't that unwilling, then it couldn't be "liberated" in the first place.

I don't think any of the Austrian women raped by Red Army soldiers felt too liberated.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2014, 09:52:38 AM
It's amusing how the Russians always get all huffy when a Soviet war memorial is vandalized.

Hungarian Internet retards nowadays, when reacting to comparisons between the Soviet Union's oppressive aggressive nature and Putin's similar shticks, always use the excuse "that was the Soviets, not Russians"

Agelastus

Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2014, 11:06:23 AM
It's amusing how the Russians always get all huffy when a Soviet war memorial is vandalized.

Hungarian Internet retards nowadays, when reacting to comparisons between the Soviet Union's oppressive aggressive nature and Putin's similar shticks, always use the excuse "that was the Soviets, not Russians"

:lol:

Even if the argument wasn't completely specious, does this mean that they are unaware of Putin's background?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Tamas

Quote from: Agelastus on May 08, 2014, 11:34:40 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2014, 11:06:23 AM

:lol:

Even if the argument wasn't completely specious, does this mean that they are unaware of Putin's background?

I don't know. The Hungarian Right is just dripping wet from Putin at the moment. First of all they are supposed to, as the governing FIDESZ has made a big deal with him making us financial slaves to Russia, and Jobbik the far-right party is on the payroll of Russia.
Secondly what they see in the Ukraine business is a realistic chance to grab the previously Hungarian strip of land currently owned by Ukraine. Which is of course crazy and idiotic.

On the other hand, hating the soviet era is a cornerstone of rightish views, so they do need excuses like this "soviet, not Russian" idiocy to keep them going.

Solmyr

The "Donetsk People's Republic" has declared itself a sovereign state after yesterday's referendum. Russia said that it will honor the results.

derspiess

That's pretty honorable of them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: Viking on May 08, 2014, 07:41:12 AM
The true reason for invading Iraq.
LOL can I be: Bobby the Barbarian. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Recently read in an FT article about the German disease of Russia-understanding that Helmut Schmidt attended Schroeder's birthday party in St.  Petersburg.  No mention  of hugging Putin.

It also mentioned that the Gerrman Green party is unique on the left in condemning Russia's activities in Ukraine.

Sheilbh

Don't make me feel dubious about Schmidt :weep:

Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Apparently Russia is threatening to let the International Space Station run out after 2020 due to the sanctions approved by the US.

Razgovory

Who need their space station.  We can build our own space station, with hooker and blackjack!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Eddie Teach

No sharks in the space station, the taxpayers won't go for that kind of waste.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?