And we're back!

Main Menu

What's the deal with Mayor Rob Ford??

Started by OttoVonBismarck, November 04, 2013, 03:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on November 05, 2013, 07:40:15 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 05, 2013, 07:38:49 PM

But in any case, I don't think he's resigned has he?
not as of yet. Probably won't. I may vote for in the next election just to keep the fun going :lol:

Yeah, but as BB pointed out in relation to Klein, once these alcoholics go sober, they get boring fast.

Although I can't see Ford going straight.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

If the other option is Olivia Chow?  Ford still looks pretty good.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on November 05, 2013, 07:38:49 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2013, 04:16:26 PM
QuoteToronto Mayor Rob Ford is expected to make an unspecified announcement shortly after admitting earlier Tuesday to smoking crack cocaine _ a stunning development that came as councillors drafted motions to limit many of his mayoral powers.

On his way out?

Now what are Josephus and I going to disagree on? :(

Well....we really haven't touched the Mike Duffy thing yet... ;)

I doubt there would be much we could disagree on there either.  Mulcair is going to have to come out with a policy statement we can discuss or the politics thread is going to die.

PRC

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 05, 2013, 06:33:37 PM
That's my kind of politician.

I think you would have liked Ralph Klein.  Some memorable moments of his (all quotes from this CBC article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/5-memorable-ralph-klein-moments-1.1347249)

'Bums' and 'creeps'

In 1982 Ralph Klein, then Calgary's mayor, slammed people who moved to the city from eastern Canada to work, calling them "bums" and "creeps" and calling on city police to "kick ass" and get unwanted newcomers out of town.

"You're welcome to stay here a couple of weeks at government expense, but if you can't make it after that particular time then don't go out and rob our banks ... get the hell out of town," Klein told CBC News at the time.

Battle with alcohol

In 2001, a drunken Klein barged into an Edmonton homeless shelter and berated those inside about being unemployed.

Days later, then premier Klein held a tearful news conference to discuss his alcoholism.

Klein admitted to drinking the equivalent of a bottle of wine a day, and that he sometimes drank at his office to get over bad hangovers. Klein remained in office after the admission, largely with the support of Albertans.

Stronach jab

In 2006, nearing the end of his political career, Klein continued to spark controversy. At a Calgary charity roast, he told an audience: "Now Belinda roasted me as a Conservative but of course now she's a Liberal ... And I wasn't surprised she crossed over — I don't think she ever did have a Conservative bone in her body. Well, except for one."

The joke was in reference to Stronach's relationship with Conservative MP Peter MacKay.

Stronach criticized the comment, calling it exactly the kind of remark that puts women off entering politics.

Klein stood by his joke. "A roast is a roast is a roast," he told reporters.

Syt

Stronach has entered Austrian politics, btw. His party "Team Stronach" is a huge mess - he's trying to run it like his companies and top level personnel come and go all the time and after winning some seats in the recent election, even a few of the ones who would sit in parliament got shuffled out. Not to mention that his TV debates were like the bizarre ramblings of a senile old man.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2013, 12:25:21 AM
Stronach has entered Austrian politics, btw. His party "Team Stronach" is a huge mess - he's trying to run it like his companies and top level personnel come and go all the time and after winning some seats in the recent election, even a few of the ones who would sit in parliament got shuffled out. Not to mention that his TV debates were like the bizarre ramblings of a senile old man.

Heh.

The Stronach in Canadian politics, is his daughter.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on November 06, 2013, 11:34:44 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2013, 12:25:21 AM

Heh.

The Stronach in Canadian politics, is his daughter.

I guess it's like father, like daughter, then.  Belinda Stronach's political history was a huge mess as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on November 05, 2013, 01:02:28 PM
Now Ford admits to smoking crack "in one of my drunken stupors".  :lol:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/mayor-rob-ford-yes-i-have-smoked-crack-cocaine-1.2415533
'Drunken stupor' is one of the most honest and wonderful excuses I've ever seen a politician give.

I hope this ends with him trying to run into the Rockies with Toronto's treasury falling from his overstuffed pockets while being chased by Mounties and helicopters. And I wouldn't bet against it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2013, 12:28:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 05, 2013, 01:02:28 PM
Now Ford admits to smoking crack "in one of my drunken stupors".  :lol:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/mayor-rob-ford-yes-i-have-smoked-crack-cocaine-1.2415533
'Drunken stupor' is one of the most honest and wonderful excuses I've ever seen a politician give.

I hope this ends with him trying to run into the Rockies with Toronto's treasury falling from his overstuffed pockets while being chased by Mounties and helicopters. And I wouldn't bet against it.

I wouldn't lay any bets on any possible conclusion to this story - including the fact I wouldn't bet against him being re-elected either, nor would I bet against him being charged as a party to extortion.

I think the moral to the Rob Ford is to prove the HST quote "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro".

Admiral Yi

Where does the extortion come from?  I missed that.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2013, 12:42:57 PM
Where does the extortion come from?  I missed that.

A confidant of Ford is being charged with extortion in his attempt to retrieve the video.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

Oh my God. Is this the guy he smoked crack with? The one who was murdered? They mentioned this on Bloggingheads yesterday and said it was a possibility. This is amazing. :D
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Malthus

Quote from: Queequeg on November 07, 2013, 01:52:55 PM
Oh my God. Is this the guy he smoked crack with? The one who was murdered? They mentioned this on Bloggingheads yesterday and said it was a possibility. This is amazing. :D

There are rumours floating about that there is another tape yet to come - a Rob Ford sex tape.  :yuk:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."