News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Review of the Chinese "Top Gun" movie

Started by Barrister, October 31, 2013, 03:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on November 02, 2013, 11:55:15 AM
They seemed to think it was noticeable in 1986 for interest in the naval aviation program, at least in California.

I doubt anyone actually collated authoritative figures though. And I'm guessing the effect was limited to the one branch of the service rather than to the navy in general across the country, not just in California.

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-07-05/entertainment/ca-20403_1_top-gun

For interest by people who were already interested, as the article points out.

As i said, there was probably some effect, but I doubt it was actually noticeable.  Had an increase in the number of actual recruits been noticeable, the Navy would have said so and the paper would have reported that.  The Navy tracks numbers of actual recruits by the day, week, month, quarter, etc.  No article I have seen has actually noted that there was a noticeable increase in recruits signing up.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Why are you researching this? Non-rhetorical.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on November 03, 2013, 08:00:48 AM

I have no idea why they are researching this, either.  It seems a moot point.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on November 03, 2013, 09:33:52 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 03, 2013, 08:00:48 AM

I have no idea why they are researching this, either.  It seems a moot point.

You are obviously a very unhappy person. But I got a nagging feeling you'll never admit it to yourself.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on November 03, 2013, 09:38:41 AM
You are obviously a very unhappy person. But I got a nagging feeling you'll never admit it to yourself.

:lol:  Okay.  I don't mind being unhappy, as long as I think I am happy.

Bayraktar!