Main Menu

Review of the Chinese "Top Gun" movie

Started by Barrister, October 31, 2013, 03:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2013, 05:41:58 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 31, 2013, 07:05:33 PM
Was Top Gun made by the US military?

They helped.  Film makers used to go to the military to ask for help with films.  The military would look over the script and if they felt it was sufficently positive toward the military they may help out.  They gave quite a bit of help with Top Gun I believe.  Don't know know if they still do that, you can just conjure military equipment onto the screen with computer graphics these days.

Obviously the military helped. Helping make a movie is not the same as making a movie.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2013, 05:41:58 PM
Film makers used to go to the military to ask for help with films.  The military would look over the script and if they felt it was sufficently positive toward the military they may help out.  They gave quite a bit of help with Top Gun I believe.  Don't know know if they still do that, you can just conjure military equipment onto the screen with computer graphics these days.

The DoD helps all the time, but only participates and helps out as long as they agree with the script.  Top Gun yes, Courage Under Fire no.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on November 01, 2013, 05:28:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2013, 04:32:23 PM
Quote from: Siege on November 01, 2013, 04:16:39 PM
Please. People don't make life changing decisions based on movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_gun#Effect_on_military_recruiting
Not very convincing. A producer who wasn't involved in the project, and a supposed memo quoted in a book that was trying to make the point that Hollywood kowtows to the military?  I don't see any real evidence here.

Do you own research then.  I'm not invested in the point to do much to try and convince you.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2013, 04:37:29 PM
Quote from: PRC on November 01, 2013, 04:24:24 PM

Movies have to use 555-5555 as a default phone number because idiots try to call it up and talk to the characters.

867-5309 

604 area code?

The Brain

In Sweden there was a surge of people who wanted to be fighter pilots after Top Gun.

The Brain

Quote from: PRC on November 01, 2013, 11:17:27 PM

Movies have to use 555-5555 as a default phone number because idiots try to call it up and talk to the characters.

867-5309 

604 area code?

Area 54?

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2013, 09:51:39 PM
Do you own research then.  I'm not invested in the point to do much to try and convince you.

You disputed a point by referencing a Wikipedia article.  I am not interested in convincing you that Wikipedia isn't authoritative, but was pointing out to the board that your evidence is weak.  I very much doubt that Top Gun, as you argue, "very noticeably did affect recruitment."  It probably had some effect, but I doubt it was noticeable.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on November 02, 2013, 03:52:28 AM
In Sweden there was a surge of people who wanted to be fighter pilots after Top Gun.

And in Sweden I'll bet there was a surge of people who wanted to be Jedi after Star Wars.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on November 02, 2013, 09:16:52 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 02, 2013, 03:52:28 AM

And in Sweden I'll bet there was a surge of people who wanted to be Jedi after Star Wars.

I don't remember a surge in applications being reported, no.

Ed Anger

I wanted to collectively strangle the Swedish people after hearing Cotton Eyed Joe
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 02, 2013, 09:22:12 AM
I wanted to collectively strangle the Swedish people after hearing Cotton Eyed Joe

That's not the spirit of the hawk. :(

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on November 02, 2013, 09:14:49 AM

You disputed a point by referencing a Wikipedia article.  I am not interested in convincing you that Wikipedia isn't authoritative, but was pointing out to the board that your evidence is weak.  I very much doubt that Top Gun, as you argue, "very noticeably did affect recruitment."  It probably had some effect, but I doubt it was noticeable.

They seemed to think it was noticeable in 1986 for interest in the naval aviation program, at least in California.

I doubt anyone actually collated authoritative figures though. And I'm guessing the effect was limited to the one branch of the service rather than to the navy in general across the country, not just in California.

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-07-05/entertainment/ca-20403_1_top-gun
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on November 02, 2013, 09:14:49 AM

It's hard to notice anything except polyps if your head is up your own ass all the time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

867-5309 

With lyrics!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ou6DDG5e7I

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"