News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Review of the Chinese "Top Gun" movie

Started by Barrister, October 31, 2013, 03:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: mongers on October 31, 2013, 06:07:18 PM

And there's no elements of 'Top Gun' that could be seen as domestic propaganda for the US military ?

Seems like they thought, lets do some pro-military propaganda, looked at one of the most effective films and thought well just copy it, but failed miserably.

Well, Top Gun does idolize the republican virtues that he USA want's it soldiers to display. Initiative, determination and courage.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on October 31, 2013, 07:04:27 PM

And there's no elements of 'Top Gun' that could be seen as domestic propaganda for the US military ?

Seems like they thought, lets do some pro-military propaganda, looked at one of the most effective films and thought well just copy it, but failed miserably.

Well, Top Gun does idolize the republican virtues that he USA want's it soldiers to display. Initiative, determination and courage.

Top Gun was made to be awesome and make money.  Any comparisons to the actual US and USSR militaries were completely coincidental.  Besides I think alot of the things in that movie would have gotten an actual pilot court martialled.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 31, 2013, 06:47:30 PM

There are elements of every movie ever made that could be seen as propaganda for something or another.

Really every one?   :hmm:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

viper37

There are elements of every movie ever made that could be seen as propaganda for something or another.
I think the studios aim to please the politicians as a way to please their consituents.  If a majority vote Republican, they'll produce dramas like Rambos and Top Guns.  If a Democrat is elected, they'll go for stuff like the Insider.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2013, 07:32:05 PM
Besides I think alot of the things in that movie would have gotten an actual pilot court martialled.
the general public does not know that...  and it probably boosted recruitment for the US Navy & Air Force.

The pilot would have at least got a serious warning.  There was a pilot whose parents live not far from me.  He used to come and "visit" with his F-18, getting way low, slowing and suddenly accelerating to make a lot of noise, shaking the plane to say hello and such.  It was funny.  But lots of people got scared and complained, so eventually, he got officially warned and grounded for a little while.  And he didn't even get close to an Air Control tower.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on November 01, 2013, 01:59:29 PM
I think the studios aim to please the politicians as a way to please their consituents.  If a majority vote Republican, they'll produce dramas like Rambos and Top Guns.  If a Democrat is elected, they'll go for stuff like the Insider.

:wacko:

They'll produce anything they can make a profit off.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 01, 2013, 02:04:05 PM
Besides I think alot of the things in that movie would have gotten an actual pilot court martialled.
the general public does not know that...  and it probably boosted recruitment for the US Navy & Air Force.

You are really stretching now.  How can it be propaganda when it encourages the type of people doing the sorts of things the military does not want to enlist?  And considering just about this time the military started shedding personnel like crazy recruitment was hardly a point of concern.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

I do remember when Top Gun came out that summer, there were some stories in the news of recruitment tables set up in a couple movie theater lobbies, but that was after a few weeks of big box office money.  It's not like it was a USN plot.

Hell, even I wanted in on the action on the way home from the theater.

"Dad, after high school I want to go to Annapolis and become a naval pilot."
"With your grades, you can pilot your navel anywhere you like."

lustindarkness

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2013, 02:15:41 PM
I do remember when Top Gun came out that summer, there were some stories in the news of recruitment tables set up in a couple movie theater lobbies, but that was after a few weeks of big box office money.  It's not like it was a USN plot.

Hell, even I wanted in on the action on the way home from the theater.

"Dad, after high school I want to go to Annapolis and become a naval pilot."
"With your grades, you can pilot your navel anywhere you like."

:lol:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on November 01, 2013, 02:04:05 PM

Top Gun very noticeably did affect recruitment.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.