Main Menu

Review of the Chinese "Top Gun" movie

Started by Barrister, October 31, 2013, 03:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2013, 03:51:04 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 01, 2013, 02:04:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2013, 07:32:05 PM
Besides I think alot of the things in that movie would have gotten an actual pilot court martialled.
the general public does not know that...  and it probably boosted recruitment for the US Navy & Air Force.

Top Gun very noticeably did affect recruitment.

I wonder what impact Stripes had

Siege

Please. People don't make life changing decisions based on movies.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on November 01, 2013, 04:16:39 PM

They make them based on being heckled on the internet.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PRC

Movies have to use 555-5555 as a default phone number because idiots try to call it up and talk to the characters.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: PRC on November 01, 2013, 04:24:24 PM

Movies have to use 555-5555 as a default phone number because idiots try to call it up and talk to the characters.

867-5309 

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2013, 04:09:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2013, 03:51:04 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 01, 2013, 02:04:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2013, 07:32:05 PM
Besides I think alot of the things in that movie would have gotten an actual pilot court martialled.
the general public does not know that...  and it probably boosted recruitment for the US Navy & Air Force.

Top Gun very noticeably did affect recruitment.

I wonder what impact Stripes had

I read somewhere that Apocalypse Now increased recruitment, which I found ... disturbing.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2013, 04:40:33 PM
I read somewhere that Apocalypse Now increased recruitment, which I found ... disturbing.  :hmm:

Any chance to get close to Playboy bunnies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2013, 04:37:29 PM
Quote from: PRC on November 01, 2013, 04:24:24 PM

867-5309

Dammit. IN MY HEAD NOW.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2013, 04:32:23 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_gun#Effect_on_military_recruiting
Not very convincing. A producer who wasn't involved in the project, and a supposed memo quoted in a book that was trying to make the point that Hollywood kowtows to the military?  I don't see any real evidence here.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on October 31, 2013, 07:05:33 PM
Was Top Gun made by the US military?

They helped.  Film makers used to go to the military to ask for help with films.  The military would look over the script and if they felt it was sufficently positive toward the military they may help out.  They gave quite a bit of help with Top Gun I believe.  Don't know know if they still do that, you can just conjure military equipment onto the screen with computer graphics these days.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Ideologue

Yep.  Captain Phillips involved three USN warships.

It's not like tax dollars really pay for the movies, though.  The producers pay the Navy for the time and afaik the wear and tear on their machinery and stuff.

Even if they did, if the government's going to spend money to support the arts, Tony Scott would have been a great man to start with.  RIP.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)