News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

America's favorite beers

Started by Syt, October 26, 2013, 12:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

US craft beer and British craft are very cool right now. Which is a good thing.

I'm most outraged that rum and coke is apparently a cocktail :blink:

Edit: And that's a disgrace given how many greats America's given the world :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

What else would rum and coke be?  :huh:

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 28, 2013, 02:28:24 AM

Highball and/or mixed drink.

And I too thought Labatt Blue/Light would make it onto Vermont's list.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 28, 2013, 02:36:03 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 28, 2013, 02:28:24 AM

Highball and/or mixed drink.

And I too thought Labatt Blue/Light would make it onto Vermont's list.
I thought a Highball was whiskey and ginger ale?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: Josephus on October 27, 2013, 03:51:17 PM
Ok, wise guy, tell me your virgin and let's see how different it is than mine.

Is grumbler Catholic?  If he is, I guess it would be Mary.

Gups

Quote from: mongers on October 27, 2013, 07:24:24 PM
Leaving aside it was part of a joke.  :rolleyes:

Off the top of my head, budweiser, coors, I too remember colt.45 mentioned by Tricky; you have to remember I was a teenager in the 1970s, a time when most things 'American' were cool, so I'd have probably tried most drinks tagged with an American label whether it was or not.

Beer in the 70s and 80s was generally awful, fizzy, weak, tastless piss. Harp, Hofmeister, Coors etc. Our generic crap beers are the same as American crap generic beers.

Fortunately in both countries taste has returned and there are some fantastic beers of lots of different types around.

mongers

Quote from: Gups on October 28, 2013, 06:14:42 AM
Quote from: mongers on October 27, 2013, 07:24:24 PM
Leaving aside it was part of a joke.  :rolleyes:

Off the top of my head, budweiser, coors, I too remember colt.45 mentioned by Tricky; you have to remember I was a teenager in the 1970s, a time when most things 'American' were cool, so I'd have probably tried most drinks tagged with an American label whether it was or not.

Beer in the 70s and 80s was generally awful, fizzy, weak, tastless piss. Harp, Hofmeister, Coors etc. Our generic crap beers are the same as American crap generic beers.

Fortunately in both countries taste has returned and there are some fantastic beers of lots of different types around.

Gups, no doubt about it.

Just a pity this has coincided with my gradual drift to teatotalism, my youth remains scared by some try dreadful beer/lagers.   :mad:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 28, 2013, 02:47:17 AM
The distinction eludes me.

A highball is supposed to be an strong base in a big portion of mixer or non-alcoholic drink.  Scotch and soda, bourbon and water, Cuba Libre, gin and tonic.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 27, 2013, 11:01:20 PM
Any milk stout I've ever had has been so sickly sweet for me it was a struggle to finish it.  First one I ever had (Mackeson Stout), I thought it was a bad batch or something.  Everyone's taste is different, though.  I like sour ales & know several people who can't stand them.

Oh, I like a good sour ale, too, but I have to have them with a solidly acidic meal, like lasagna or something like that.

Beer, to me, is a lot like wine. With so many different varieties, you can drink the right beer with the right foods and circumstances. To just sit around and drink with friends when watching a game or something like that, generally I prefer Sam Adams or a good hard cider. The more specialty (ie expensive stuff) I'll try to pair with the right kinds of foods because I'm likely to only have one or two of them at a time.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 27, 2013, 10:07:15 PM
Out of those listed, Yeungling is probably my favorite, but I haven't had it since I lived in Florida.  It isn't sold here in Texas.  Kind of surprised Miller Lite wasn't included in this.  That one would probably do well too.

Two cases came back with me from Hotlanta.  :beer:

derspiess

I was a huge fan of Yuengling back when I lived in Delaware-- it could be had for $4.50/6-pack & I liked the way it tasted.  Spending several years out of their distribution area (didn't make it to Ohio until a couple years ago), I had sort of forgotten what it tasted like.  Now when I taste it, whatever adjuncts they use (either corn or rice-- probably corn) bug the hell out of me.

I still like the Black & Tan, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

Quote from: Josephus on October 27, 2013, 03:51:17 PM
Ok, wise guy, tell me your virgin and let's see how different it is than mine.

Wait...I actually spelled version that way?  he he, freudian slip.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Only a virgin would mangle that joke so badly.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Quote from: Josephus on October 26, 2013, 06:34:31 PM
Does Bud Light even count as beer?

How is American beer like having sex in a canoe?

They're both fucking pretty close to water.

Me likes tis water.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"