And we're back!

Main Menu

America's favorite beers

Started by Syt, October 26, 2013, 12:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2013, 07:12:59 PM
I don't know how the odds things you and Dguller work. :(

Think of them as percentage probabilities.

For example, a 1-1 (even money) bet means the probability is around 50% of either outcome.

If you bet 2-1, that means a 66.6% probability.

3-1 = 75%.
4-1 = 80%.

And so on and so forth.

Razgovory

Okay.  Thinking about this, we have no way to verify anything except what Mongers says and I'm not sure if Mongers likes me more then he likes you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2013, 06:50:38 PM
I get the feeling mongers has never tasted American beer.

Leaving aside it was part of a joke.  :rolleyes:

Off the top of my head, budweiser, coors, I too remember colt.45 mentioned by Tricky; you have to remember I was a teenager in the 1970s, a time when most things 'American' were cool, so I'd have probably tried most drinks tagged with an American label whether it was or not.
I also recall red stripe, dreadful stuff, which I think must have been a UK invention ?

edit:

I looked it up, Red stripe is from Jamaica, well I guess it's western hemisphere and 'foreign'
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Left Hand is my new brew company of choice. In particular, I really enjoy their Milk Stout.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadBurgerMaker

Out of those listed, Yeungling is probably my favorite, but I haven't had it since I lived in Florida.  It isn't sold here in Texas.  Kind of surprised Miller Lite wasn't included in this.  That one would probably do well too.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 27, 2013, 10:05:33 PM
Left Hand is my new brew company of choice. In particular, I really enjoy their Milk Stout.

Ugh.  Left Hand is hit or miss IMO, but milk stouts are evil.  Too goddamned sweet.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 27, 2013, 10:07:15 PM
Kind of surprised Miller Lite wasn't included in this.  That one would probably do well too.

It was, only picked up Wisconsin.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: citizen k on October 27, 2013, 04:02:47 PM
I'm an American and I drink Paulaner Salvator. Stay German my friends.

Solid choice.  One of the best doppelbocks out there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 27, 2013, 10:08:35 PM
It was, only picked up Wisconsin.

Oh hey.  There it is.  Didn't see that.  Kind of surprised it didn't do better here, being the OFFICIAL BEER OF THE DALLAS COWBOYS complete with stars on the box and all that.

E:  My favorite is Weihenstephaner's Hefe.  As far as American beers go, I've got some Hans Pils from Real Ale in the fridge that I've enjoyed. 

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 27, 2013, 10:07:57 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 27, 2013, 10:05:33 PM

Ugh.  Left Hand is hit or miss IMO, but milk stouts are evil.  Too goddamned sweet.

I've never had anything bad from them. Their holiday stuff, in particular, is tasty as hell. And the milk stout is good in the right place, just like anything else. I usually have it late at night, relaxing with friends. It's a good end-of-the-day drink, imo.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Any milk stout I've ever had has been so sickly sweet for me it was a struggle to finish it.  First one I ever had (Mackeson Stout), I thought it was a bad batch or something.  Everyone's taste is different, though.  I like sour ales & know several people who can't stand them.

Admiral Yi

You drink much lambic Forehead?

derspiess

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 27, 2013, 02:17:08 PM
In heaven, Valmy's gonna sit around drinking Harp Lager.

That would be a relief.  I heard that in Heaven there is no beer.

But yes I get your reference.  Well done.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I actually like Blue Moon, for a big label beer it's not bad.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."