Spitfire
Me-262
MiG-21
Zero
Camel
F-14
Albatross D.III
Dassault Mirage

We can debate the ordering, of course, and there may be a couple of candidates I missed.

So why is the Me109 on your list but not the Fw190?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

Quote from: derspiess link=topic=1062.msg47266#msg47266
Kurt Tank sucked monkey balls.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2009, 10:36:31 AM
Me?  You were the dude who attacked me for no reason.  I thought we were just talking about planes.
When you throw around lines like "but we cannot all be literate," expect a like response.

QuoteAnyway the Fokker Triplane is called the best WWI fighter all the time and undeservedly so and IMO it is because of Richtofen.  If the article did not consider it the best then why did it put it in its top ten and not another fighter plane?  Why would it have even considered that plane without Richtofen?  It was not a very numerous plane and did not exactly dominate the skies at any point.  Even the Nieuport Baby and the Fokker Eindecker at least did that.
I have no idea why the article rated the plane so highly.  I suspect that it was because the author didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, and this was the only WWI fighter he had any idea about.  The implication that the Triplane was the first to have synchronized machine guns (when they had, in fact, been in service for over two years when the D.I entered combat) makes his judgement even more suspect.  As I stated long before you, it was not considered, even in its time, the best fighter (though it was probably the best in a dogfight).

QuoteThat was a projection on my part.  It did not say that the Triplane was the best because Richtofen shot down 20 planes in it...but then I didn't put fucking quotes around it or claim that was a direct quote from anything.  It was my own opinion and analysis of why the Triplane is over-rated.
And when I pointed out, quite corectly, that no one was making the argument you claimed to be refuting, you claimed that the article was making that argument (when you knew good and well, apparently, that it wasn't making that argument and that you were simply projecting again), and got snippy.

QuoteWhy was it the classic World War I fighter?  What did it do besides have Richtofen fly in it?
The author's email address is probably available from Channel Five.  Why don't you ask him? 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on June 01, 2009, 12:27:28 PM
The -109 was in service far longer.  Fighters on the drawing boards or in prototype don't shoot down any enemy aircraft.

Others may put different interpretations on "greatest," of course, but that's how I see it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on June 01, 2009, 08:01:50 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 01, 2009, 06:04:35 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 31, 2009, 08:56:41 PMand the F-15 doesn't even make the list! :bleeding:

Why would it? It hasn't seen much air-to-air combat in its career, Timmay.  You chemo fuckstick.

Then why does the F-14 belong? I think the -15 has seen more combat than it has...

IIRC it's 104-0
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2009, 01:25:30 PM
Others may put different interpretations on "greatest," of course, but that's how I see it.
:(  This would make sense if you weren't a communist.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2009, 01:25:30 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 01, 2009, 12:27:28 PM
The -109 was in service far longer.  Fighters on the drawing boards or in prototype don't shoot down any enemy aircraft.

In that case, and considering you put the MiG-21 on the list, the F-4 should be there as well.

grumbler

Quote from: vonmoltke on June 02, 2009, 07:24:44 PM
In that case, and considering you put the MiG-21 on the list, the F-4 should be there as well.
:Embarrass: F-14 should read F-4.  Much as I love the Tomcat, it's not top-ten.  Phantom, yeah.  Especially the older smokey ones.

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on June 02, 2009, 07:34:28 PM
:Embarrass: F-14 should read F-4.  Much as I love the Tomcat, it's not top-ten.  Phantom, yeah.  Especially the older smokey ones.

That F-14 thing confused me after you nixed the -15 for not seeing enough combat to qualify.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tonitrus

Quote from: Berkut on June 02, 2009, 07:38:20 PM

That F-14 thing confused me after you nixed the -15 for not seeing enough combat to qualify.

How much combat did the Iranian F-14s see in their war with Iraq?

grumbler

I didn't nix the F-15 for insufficient combat - I never even mentioned it.  It's a great plane, but you do need to fight in real wars to get into the top 10 fighters of all time.  The Phantom itself barely qualifies, and only the fact that it was a mainstay for so many airforces and navies for so long really gets it into the top contention.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 02, 2009, 08:37:30 PM
Not a lot.  They didn't have to parts to keep such a specialized beast going at full pitch.  It actually was used more as an AWACs than a fighter (AWG-9 FTW!).

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 02, 2009, 08:37:30 PM

Iran's claims don't seem credible to me, but I'm certainly not an authority on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_F-14_Tomcat#Iranian_Service
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I would think the P-38 would be better then say the P-51.  The 38 saw more action and had a longer life span.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017