News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Greatest ever Fighters

Started by jimmy olsen, May 31, 2009, 08:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I was watching a "Greatest Ever" marathon on the Military Channel, and I can't believe what I just saw.

The F-18 is #4 and the F-15 doesn't even make the list! :bleeding:

http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk/greatest-ever/fighterplanes.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

sbr

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 31, 2009, 08:56:41 PM
I was watching a "Greatest Ever" marathon on the Military Channel, and I can't believe what I just saw.

The F-18 is #4 and the F-15 doesn't even make the list! :bleeding:

http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk/greatest-ever/fighterplanes.html
'

And they have the F-117 in the top 10...despite the "F" designation, it's not even really a "fighter" aircraft.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 31, 2009, 11:54:12 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 31, 2009, 11:21:37 PM
Muhammad Ali.

Lost 5 times.
and won like 56 times. (iirc)

Also figured out how to beat many he shouldn't have been able to. His only flaw was staying in the game too long.
:p

Viking

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 01, 2009, 01:13:17 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 31, 2009, 11:54:12 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 31, 2009, 11:21:37 PM
Muhammad Ali.

Lost 5 times.
and won like 56 times. (iirc)

Also figured out how to beat many he shouldn't have been able to. His only flaw was staying in the game too long.

That makes him, what, an ellevefold fighter ace?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

The Fokker Triplane was pwned by the Sopwith Camel
The Zero was pwned by the Wildcat and Hellcat
The MiG-21 can make a claim to greatness for it's performance in the Vietnam War, but the Arab-Israeli wars performance was pathetic

If you want to be on the "greatest ever" list for anything you really really need to be able to beat your immediate contemporary rivals.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

Other.

Even the A-Wings were powerless against this fucker.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on June 01, 2009, 04:07:45 AM
The Fokker Triplane was pwned by the Sopwith Camel
Um, just no.  The Triplane could certainly be beaten by a Camel with a better pilot, but the Triplane was a superior dogfighter.  The difference was that the Camel could dive away and out of combat, and the Triplane couldn't leave combat if it was losing.

Having said that, the Camel was the superior plane, because it was an earlier design and was much better-built.  The Triplane came too late in the war to affect anything, and didn't stay in service long because the D.VII was better at pretty much everything.  Only a little over 300 Triplanes were even built.

QuoteThe Zero was pwned by the Wildcat and Hellcat
The Zero pwned the Wildcat.  The Hellcat came much later, so was not a real "contemporary" of the Zero.  It definately belongs on the list.

QuoteThe MiG-21 can make a claim to greatness for it's performance in the Vietnam War, but the Arab-Israeli wars performance was pathetic
The MiG-21 was an excellent aircraft, but never really got to show its stuff because it never fought in the numbers its design demanded.  It is placed about right on the list.

QuoteIf you want to be on the "greatest ever" list for anything you really really need to be able to beat your immediate contemporary rivals.
And this is why the Zero and MiG-21 belong on the list, and the Triplane does not.

The top 10 fighters of all time should include:
P-51
Me-109
Spitfire
Me-262
MiG-21
Zero
Camel
F-14
Albatross D.III
Dassault Mirage

We can debate the ordering, of course, and there may be a couple of candidates I missed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 31, 2009, 08:56:41 PMand the F-15 doesn't even make the list! :bleeding:

Why would it? It hasn't seen much air-to-air combat in its career, Timmay.  You chemo fuckstick.

Mr.Penguin

As usual do the "greatest ever" program mess up their own list, this time by including a none- fighter plane: the Lockheed F-117...

the Lockheed F-117 is totally unarmed apart from the bombs it can carry in it bomb bays... :rolleyes:
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

PDH

P-47 Just because the P-51 lovers are like the Tims of aviation history.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

I'm still waiting for Neil to post in  here that the greatest-ever fighter is, in fact, a dreadnought.