Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 31, 2009, 08:56:41 PM
I was watching a "Greatest Ever" marathon on the Military Channel,

There's your problem.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 01, 2009, 07:49:07 AM
I'm still waiting for Neil to post in  here that the greatest-ever fighter is, in fact, a dreadnought.
Well, I don't really have to when others are willing to do it for me.  I mean, let's look at it:  Range, armament, durability, aesthetics.  The only things that conventional fighters have going for them are speed and climb rate.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 01, 2009, 06:04:35 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 31, 2009, 08:56:41 PMand the F-15 doesn't even make the list! :bleeding:

Why would it? It hasn't seen much air-to-air combat in its career, Timmay.  You chemo fuckstick.

Then why does the F-14 belong? I think the -15 has seen more combat than it has...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on June 01, 2009, 08:01:50 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 01, 2009, 06:04:35 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 31, 2009, 08:56:41 PMand the F-15 doesn't even make the list! :bleeding:

Why would it? It hasn't seen much air-to-air combat in its career, Timmay.  You chemo fuckstick.

Then why does the F-14 belong? I think the -15 has seen more combat than it has...
Because the F-14 was actually good.

Also, Top Gun.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: PDH on June 01, 2009, 07:32:00 AM
P-47 Just because the P-51 lovers are like the Tims of aviation history.

No love for the Corsair?  :(
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

The triplane has to be the most over-rated plane of WWI.  Manfred von Richtofen made it famous and he didn't get most of his kills in it.  It was awesome at climbing and diving but it was never really popular with German pilots.  The Fokker D. VII was the favorite aircraft of the German pilots.

But then Rene Fonck was the best fighter pilot of WWI so why don't we talk about how great the SPAD XIII was the greatest fighter plane of all time? :frog:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on June 01, 2009, 07:59:19 AM
I'm still waiting for Neil to post in  here that the greatest-ever fighter is, in fact, a dreadnought.
Well, I don't really have to when others are willing to do it for me.  I mean, let's look at it:  Range, armament, durability, aesthetics.  The only things that conventional fighters have going for them are speed and climb rate.

I'd definitely rate them low for range, I mean there's 30% of the planet that's completely inaccessible.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 01, 2009, 09:00:01 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 01, 2009, 07:59:19 AM

I'd definitely rate them low for range, I mean there's 30% of the planet that's completely inaccessible.
Maybe, but a full fuel tank could get them 10-12,000 km.  Name a contemporary fighter with that kind of range.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2009, 08:43:10 AM
The triplane has to be the most over-rated plane of WWI.  Manfred von Richtofen made it famous and he didn't get most of his kills in it.  It was awesome at climbing and diving but it was never really popular with German pilots.  The Fokker D. VII was the favorite aircraft of the German pilots.

But then Rene Fonck was the best fighter pilot of WWI so why don't we talk about how great the SPAD XIII was the greatest fighter plane of all time? :frog:

Nobody cares about Frogs. Germans are cooler.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 01, 2009, 09:15:45 AM

Nobody cares about Frogs. Germans are cooler.
And this is key.  The reason that Napoleonic France was so cool is the exact same reason that France in the 20th century is treated with utter contempt.

PDH

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 01, 2009, 08:33:43 AM
Quote from: PDH on June 01, 2009, 07:32:00 AM
P-47 Just because the P-51 lovers are like the Tims of aviation history.

Pappy does give the Corsair a +1 to rep...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Norgy

JAS Gripen would probably be the best ever in a game made by a certain Swedish company.  :whistle:

grumbler

Because X is the best pilot, Y is the best airplane?  :huh:

The Spad XIII should probably be in the running, though I think its relatively poor maneuverability might make it lose out to the Camel, despite its superior speed.  OTOH, it being in service for so long has to give it an edge over aircraft like the D.VII.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2009, 09:59:15 AM
Because X is the best pilot, Y is the best airplane?  :huh:

I was lampooning labelling the Fokker Triplane the best of WWI simply because Richtofen flew it for 20 of his kills.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 01, 2009, 08:33:43 AM
The Corsair lacked the legs to be truly great at Pacific A-A fighting.  It could take a lot of punishment, though (unlike the far more fragile P-51), and so it proved to be one of the great ground attack planes of the war (much like the P-47, only with more legs).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!