News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Greatest ever Fighters

Started by jimmy olsen, May 31, 2009, 08:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Greatest fighter ever is Martinus.

In his head, he have never lost an argument.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2009, 10:08:34 AM
I was lampooning labelling the Fokker Triplane the best of WWI simply because Richtofen flew it for 20 of his kills.
Ah.  Well, I suppose it would have been funnier had anyone actually made the claim that the Fokker Triplane the best of WWI simply because Richtofen flew it for 20 of his kills, but you cannot have everything.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2009, 10:13:14 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2009, 10:08:34 AM
I was lampooning labelling the Fokker Triplane the best of WWI simply because Richtofen flew it for 20 of his kills.
Ah.  Well, I suppose it would have been funnier had anyone actually made the claim that the Fokker Triplane the best of WWI simply because Richtofen flew it for 20 of his kills, but you cannot have everything.

Am I going insane?  The entire point of this thread was to comment on an article that claimed just that.

Unless you want to argue the Zero, the Harrier, the Sabre, the ME 109, the F-18, the MiG 21, the Spitfire, and the Mustang are WWI fighters that is precisely what that article was saying.

So the someone was simply, you know, the article we were supposed to be discussing.  But we cannot all be literate.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Tough day to make a case for the Airbus 330. Maybe tomorrow.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2009, 10:17:31 AM
Am I going insane?  The entire point of this thread was to comment on an article that claimed just that.

Unless you want to argue the Zero, the Harrier, the Sabre, the ME 109, the F-18, the MiG 21, the Spitfire, and the Mustang are WWI fighters that is precisely what that article was saying.
:huh:  The article says
QuotePerhaps the classic World War I fighter, noted for the successes chalked up by Baron Manfred von Richthofen better known as the Red Baron.
and then goes on to claim that
QuoteThe extra wing allowed the plane to climb higher and to climb faster.

When the DR1 was rolled out in 1917 it wasn't just the superb wings and the top speed pf 115mph that made it an awesome fighter, it also had machine guns that fired through the propellor arc, a revolutionary World War I innovation. 
so it seems clear to me that, while the plane was noted for being BvR's plane, it was superior due to its climbing rate and firepower.

It nowhere states that the plane was superior "simply because Richtofen flew it for 20 of his kills."

QuoteSo the someone was simply, you know, the article we were supposed to be discussing.  But we cannot all be literate.
How about, before you get snippy, you learn to fucking read<_<
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

Quote from: lustindarkness on June 01, 2009, 10:29:52 AM
Bruce lee.

He has to be.  He beat Chuck Norris in "Way of the Dragon;" and Chuck Norris can do wheelies on a unicycle.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2009, 10:27:56 AM
How about, before you get snippy, you learn to fucking read<_<

Me?  You were the dude who attacked me for no reason.  I thought we were just talking about planes.

Anyway the Fokker Triplane is called the best WWI fighter all the time and undeservedly so and IMO it is because of Richtofen.  If the article did not consider it the best then why did it put it in its top ten and not another fighter plane?  Why would it have even considered that plane without Richtofen?  It was not a very numerous plane and did not exactly dominate the skies at any point.  Even the Nieuport Baby and the Fokker Eindecker at least did that.

That was a projection on my part.  It did not say that the Triplane was the best because Richtofen shot down 20 planes in it...but then I didn't put fucking quotes around it or claim that was a direct quote from anything.  It was my own opinion and analysis of why the Triplane is over-rated.

Anyway it literally says:

QuotePerhaps the classic World War I fighter, noted for the successes chalked up by Baron Manfred von Richthofen better known as the Red Baron.

Why was it the classic World War I fighter?  What did it do besides have Richtofen fly in it?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Viking

Just to move the discussion along, "The Greatest Ever" has it's own criteria... but what criteria should be used to define the world's greatest.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

The world's greatest fighter is another fighter.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: Viking on June 01, 2009, 11:34:06 AM
Just to move the discussion along, "The Greatest Ever" has it's own criteria... but what criteria should be used to define the world's greatest.

The Octagon
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: PDH on June 01, 2009, 09:26:46 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 01, 2009, 08:33:43 AM
Quote from: PDH on June 01, 2009, 07:32:00 AM
P-47 Just because the P-51 lovers are like the Tims of aviation history.

No love for the Corsair?  :(
Pappy does give the Corsair a +1 to rep...
That's for damn sure.  The Black Sheep never flew no F-15 or a triplane.
PDH!