Link Wray
2 (5.3%)
Yes
11 (28.9%)
The Zombies
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Caliga

Nirvana is a shoe-in.  Of the others I voted for Yes, Hall and Oates, Deep Purple, and KISS.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

sbr

Quote from: Savonarola on October 17, 2013, 02:52:28 PM
Quote from: sbr on October 17, 2013, 02:44:02 PM
I'm a big fan of both NWA and LL Cool J, but I don't think either should be in the Rock and Roll HoF.

Cleveland should have followed the Village Voice's lead and called it the "Pazz and Jop Hall of Fame" so we don't have to hear this same argument each and every year.

I don't pay much attention to the Rock and Roll HoF so I didn't know (but should have realized) that that was an annual discussion.

How are some of these people even eligible for the Hall of Fame, they are still performing, much less not been retired for 5 years.

Savonarola

Quote from: sbr on October 17, 2013, 03:40:03 PM
I don't pay much attention to the Rock and Roll HoF so I didn't know (but should have realized) that that was an annual discussion.

Usually it's promoted by people who believe that Run-DMC has no place in a "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame but for some reason see no problem in inducting Randy Newman  (:yucky:).

QuoteHow are some of these people even eligible for the Hall of Fame, they are still performing, much less not been retired for 5 years.

I believe the criteria is that your first album has to be released 25 years ago.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

dps

This is actually a pretty good list of nominees;  depending on how broad a definition of rock and roll you want to use, almost all of them are at least arguably deserving.  We're limited to voting for 5 of them in the poll, though.

With that limit, it seemed to me that there are 4 acts that were obvious choices, based on their influence:  The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Peter Gabriel, Nirvana, and NWA.  Those aren't necessarily my favorites among the nominees, but they're the ones that had the most historical impact, IMO.  For my 5th vote, I went with Deep Purple, though I waffled a good bit on that one and considered several other artists.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on October 17, 2013, 04:55:52 PM
The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Peter Gabriel, Nirvana, and NWA.  Those aren't necessarily my favorites among the nominees, but they're the ones that had the most historical impact, IMO.  For my 5th vote, I went with Deep Purple, though I waffled a good bit on that one and considered several other artists.

Yeah, I'm looking at historical impact and innovation as well, which is why I really can't skip over NWA, Nirvana, Hall & Oates, Link Wray and Deep Purple was a close 5th for me as well.
But it's a tight selection.

Admiral Yi

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2013, 07:30:08 PM
Historical impact, innovation, Hall & Oates?  :huh:

You were there.  You were a witness.  They were fundamental in re-energizing the post-disco radio era with six #1 hits and mainstreaming Philly white guy R and B into modern rock.