News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 20, 2013, 08:58:06 PM
Interesting that I believe the US has a below average number of doctors to population.

Totally consistent with a monopoly (the AMA) limiting supply to keep prices firm.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 20, 2013, 09:01:40 PMTotally consistent with a monopoly (the AMA) limiting supply to keep prices firm.
How does the AMA limit supply? :mellow:

I'm assuming they work totally differently from the British doctors' union.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 20, 2013, 09:06:04 PM
How does the AMA limit supply? :mellow:

They control the # of medical school spaces as well as licensing.

Sheilbh

Interesting. Licensing and regulating medical schools in the UK is the responsibility of the General Medical Council. They're in effect the regulator of the medical profession. They regulate schools, but also license and revalidate doctors qualifications and you can also report a doctor to them and they've various disciplinary measures up to striking them off the register.

I'm not sure how the number of places at medical school are set (there's 8000) but I'd guess something to do with the schools, the GMC and the government negotiating.

The BMA are explicitly a doctors' union.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on November 20, 2013, 07:06:36 PM
[Higher level of deaths by violence then Israel?

Red-blooded gun-armed Americans are far better shots than some Hezbolloney clown with a Qassem rocket.
Plus Israel has an unfair advantage.  They have all Jewish doctors.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 20, 2013, 08:31:56 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a whore pill commercial.

Never saw a Yaz commercial?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Wait, those are whore pills? :unsure:

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on November 20, 2013, 10:12:43 PM
Wait, those are whore pills? :unsure:

Well to be fair they also cause blood clots.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

I knew I should've asked my doctor.  :(

alfred russel

But you've also got way lower smoking rates than Europe and a younger population. Healthcare should be cheaper.

US healthcare has many many problems and cost is one of them. Please don't think I'm defending US healthcare vs. europe.

However, I think that after a certain minimum standard of care, life expectancy is much more of a function of lifestyle and genetics than the quality of healthcare. None of those factors are consistent when comparing Europe to the US, and I suspect healthcare is not the driver of our premature deaths.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 20, 2013, 09:01:40 PM
Interesting that I believe the US has a below average number of doctors to population.

Totally consistent with a monopoly (the AMA) limiting supply to keep prices firm.

No. The AMA's policy isn't to limit the supply of doctors. They've been lobbying to increase the numbers for the past two decades. In fact the AAMC has increased the number of medical student positions by 30% over the past decade.

The supply of doctors is limited by the amount of Graduated Medical Education funding from Medicare and thus the US Congress. They capped the number of residency training positions in 1997 with the Balanced Budget Act and it hasn't increased since then.

11B4V

QuoteTo Cut Costs, ObamaCare Plans Drop Top Docs, Hospitals

(Newser) – If you have a health care provider you really like, look very carefully at any plan you buy on HealthCare.gov. To keep costs down—a top Obama administration priority—insurers on the government's health care exchange are offering smaller networks that cut out the country's most prestigious (and most expensive) hospitals and doctors, the Washington Post reports. In one much-watched case, the Seattle Children's Hospital has filed a lawsuit against Washington's insurance commissioner over all the plans excluding it. It's an especially expensive hospital, the region's top insurer explains; a pediatric appendectomy there costs $23,000, compared to $14,100 at another local hospital.

The Affordable Care Act requires plans to include enough providers to guarantee quality care, but offers no guidelines on what that entails. Some hospitals, such as the Cleveland Clinic, are pulling themselves off of plans, complaining that the reimbursement rates are too low. Some experts actually argue that these splits are good things—top-flight hospitals provide essential services, they explain, but routine care can be had elsewhere at a cheaper cost. But critics say these moves are producing a two-tiered system, and creating real dilemmas for families like Jeffrey Blank's; his daughter has a rare bone disorder, and is used to getting routine checkups from Seattle Children's.

http://www.newser.com/story/177974/to-cut-costs-obamacare-plans-drop-top-docs-hospitals.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=united&utm_campaign=rss_top

QuoteGOP Plots All-Out War on ObamaCare

(Newser) – If it sounds like Republicans are reading from the same playbook in their ObamaCare offensive, it's because they are. A memo sent to House Republicans this week detailed an unusually focused attack plan, the New York Times explains. Republicans are to focus en masse on one of the program's failings, then swiftly pivot to the next as soon as that narrative gains traction, constantly keeping Democrats on their heels. First they focused on the website, then on dropped plans, and next they plan to shift to rate shocks.

"Yeah, there is a method being followed here," one rep says, "but really these stories are creating themselves." (This story, for example, must have been music to strategists' ears.) Democrats, meanwhile, have developed a counter-strategy: The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee is set to launch a campaign contrasting ObamaCare with "CruzCare," in hopes of highlighting how limited Republican policy alternatives are, the Washington Post reports. Ted Cruz is actually planning to roll out his own plan, but Democrats expect it to be the a potpourri of standard-issue Republican policies, rather than a credible ObamaCare alternative.

http://www.newser.com/story/177962/gop-plots-all-out-war-on-obamacare.html
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

So, high-priced suppliers are pricing themselves out of the market?  Sounds great.   

Republicans are playing politics with health care, just like Democrats?  Color me shocked.

Overall, that works out to be good news.  Thanks, B4.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/cbs-poll-obamacare-record-lows-100115.html

QuoteThe president's signature health care law is also at a new low. Approval of Obamacare stands at 31 percent with disapproval at 61 percent, the worst figures for the law in CBS's polling.

Only one in three survey respondents said they believe the government will be able to fix the health care exchange website by the White House's end-of-the-month deadline, and just 7 percent said the Affordable Care Act should be left in place without any changes. Forty-eight percent said it needs some changes, and 43 percent want it repealed entirely.

:sadface:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

So 55% think it should be kept in some form or another. Do those numbers come as a surprise?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned