The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I imagine the libertarian magazine "Reason" would be right up your alley.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on October 06, 2013, 05:42:56 AM

Nick Gillespie blames both republicans and democrats for the shutdown but also insists that Obama is responsible for fixing it. Reason blames the Republicans too. However, I find Reason calling for the Government to bully congress into being sane not to be within their usual set of values and ideas.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on October 06, 2013, 05:12:21 AM
Somebody explain to me if I'm wrong.

But... but these people aren't being forced to buy health insurance because they already have it.

This is Elevenb4Five.  Logic doesn't enter the discussion.

I especially like the one where he has Obama in whiteface threatening to take the health care away from the Germans, Brits, Canadians, Australians, etc.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Quote from: grumbler on October 06, 2013, 09:23:31 AM

But... but these people aren't being forced to buy health insurance because they already have it.

This is Elevenb4Five.  Logic doesn't enter the discussion.

I especially like the one where he has Obama in whiteface threatening to take the health care away from the Germans, Brits, Canadians, Australians, etc.

I'm just used to politicians and activists trying their best to not specifically lie hoping you just make all the wrong assumptions instead. This is straight out not true.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Rasputin

Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 03:27:58 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on October 04, 2013, 03:15:17 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 04, 2013, 10:40:55 AM
Tamas, that's pretty much how Americans - at least those who are looking at the bigger picture - feel, too.

That's certainly how liberals who would like the federal government to take care of all of us for our own good feel.  I have not missed the federal government in the least. Some of us lOoking at the big picture believe that a government shut down may help us see how blOated the federal government has become and how little it's missed by 53 per cent of Americans.

It's lovely that it's not affected you. I'm pretty sure that that's not the case for many others.

I've a feeling those who are now effective unemployed don't feel that way. Nor those who are working without pay while their co-workers sit on their hands.

So exactly how have you missed the federal government thus far, nothing abstract, a genuine need unmet?

I would like to see us all enjoy prosperity and a rising tide that could lift all boats. Government spending and programs that make us all more dependent on a shrinking number of tax payers logically can not be the solution.
Who is John Galt?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

11B4V

Quote from: 11B4V on October 06, 2013, 01:00:36 AM

Down at the bottom of that pic is the source. Logic and reason need not apply.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Quote from: Rasputin on October 06, 2013, 10:43:10 AM
So exactly how have you missed the federal government thus far, nothing abstract, a genuine need unmet?

For example:

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2013/10/14/131014taco_talk_talbot?utm_source=tny&utm_campaign=generalsocial&utm_medium=facebook

Quote[...]

What the Republican intransigents were willing to deprive of funds, besides the Capitol police, included the following: The Centers for Disease Control, which said that it would have to stop its seasonal flu-prevention program and would "have significantly reduced capacity to respond to outbreak investigations." The Environmental Protection Agency, which would close down almost entirely, and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which would stop most of its inspections. The wic program, which provides healthy food supplements for millions of pregnant women, new mothers, and babies, and could run on temporary federal funds only through the end of the month. The Food and Drug Administration, which said it "will be unable to support the majority of its food safety, nutrition, and cosmetics activities," and would have to halt "the majority of the laboratory research necessary to inform public health decision-making." The National Institutes of Health, which announced that it would not be enrolling any new patients in ongoing studies or clinical trials.

[...]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Exactly.  We can get rid of every farmer in the US as well, because, four days into a farmer shutdown, we would not be completely out of food (and, even when we run out of food, we can survive for several days without food).  Therefor, farmers are completely unnecessary.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on October 06, 2013, 07:28:40 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 06, 2013, 05:42:56 AM

Nick Gillespie blames both republicans and democrats for the shutdown but also insists that Obama is responsible for fixing it. Reason blames the Republicans too. However, I find Reason calling for the Government to bully congress into being sane not to be within their usual set of values and ideas.

I guess you already read that.    You could always go to National Review online, which Hans often took articles from and posted here, or the network of Breitbart sites that Derspeiss introduced me to, but somehow I don't think you'd find them very credible.  They tend to be low quality tripe.

Neil

I would like to see us all enjoy prosperity and a rising tide that could lift all boats.
The problem is that analogy doesn't hold up anymore.  The result of Republican policies is poverty, disease and death.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on October 06, 2013, 01:23:40 PM
I would like to see us all enjoy prosperity and a rising tide that could lift all boats.
The problem is that analogy doesn't hold up anymore.  The result of Republican policies is poverty, disease and death.

I used to believe that a rising tide lifts all boats, but I'm not so sure anymore.

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on October 06, 2013, 12:33:44 PM

Exactly.  We can get rid of every farmer in the US as well, because, four days into a farmer shutdown, we would not be completely out of food (and, even when we run out of food, we can survive for several days without food).  Therefor, farmers are completely unnecessary.

Whoa, farmers.  Way to kick him in the Jeffersons.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Kleves

Thomas Jefferson's pro-farmer stance was what caused grumbler to vote for him in the first place.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.