The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

lol, I like Megyn Kelly and the other League of German Maidens blondes on Fox.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 05, 2013, 08:22:34 PM
Both of those are emotions and I get that. What I mean is what's the political upside? What benefits do they want to accrue?

This is why I struggle with the GOP right now. I don't mind parties being partisan because they believe their vision is necessary and right and they want to win. I'm baffled by a party that doesn't seem to even act in its own best interests.

Look the last 11 months have been about the lame duckification of Obama. His ebbing authority. Now it's Republican extremism and civil war - and how much everyone hates Ted Cruz. I can't work out why they'd do that. How they wanted to get from shutdown/potential default to profit.

It's why I think of Labour in the 80s because that's the only other example I can think of.
I think that the article I posted here explains it really well. The Tea Party really believes Obama and Obamacare will destroy the country and they want to resist as strongly as possible no matter the political consequences. The GOP leadership doesn't believe this but is terrified that their constituents do and so are to afraid to offer resistance to Tea Party Caucus.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,10462.msg649554.html#msg649554

They'll probably going to need an extended time out of power like Labor did in the 80s/early 90s to adjust and change.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Guess they won't have to deal with the death panels.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 05, 2013, 11:23:38 PM
This is a systemic problem, not one for which either party's more to blame than the other.  The conservatives keep trying to put more and more conservative congressmen into office, and the liberals keep trying to put more and more liberal congressmen into office.  We pluck the strongest ideologues to campaign against each other and then wonder why they're unable to work with counterparts from the other side.
:bleeding:

This I think highlights the real problem.  The unwillingness or inability to pass judgment, and select politicians accordingly.  Extremists are not punished, because really, both sides are at fault.  We get the government we deserve.

DGuller

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: 11B4V on October 06, 2013, 01:00:36 AM

Somebody explain to me if I'm wrong.

But... but these people aren't being forced to buy health insurance because they already have it.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Viking on October 05, 2013, 10:47:04 PM
All the news and analysis sources that I take seriously are unanimous in agreement that the republicans are to blame for the shut down. When everybody agrees on something I get concerned about the diversity of my information sources. Is there any serious source of news or analysis that doesn't blame the republicans for the shutdown?

Stop trying to be funny people, is there any?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.