The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Kleves on October 06, 2013, 03:27:34 PM
Thomas Jefferson's pro-farmer stance was what caused grumbler to vote for him in the first place.

:rolleyes:  Grumbler couldn't vote for Jefferson since he was officially a citizen of Ur.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on October 06, 2013, 03:51:06 PM
Quote from: Kleves on October 06, 2013, 03:27:34 PM
Thomas Jefferson's pro-farmer stance was what caused grumbler to vote for him in the first place.

:rolleyes:  Grumbler couldn't vote for Jefferson since he was officially a citizen of Ur.

Besides, he was caught up in the XYZ affair at the time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on October 06, 2013, 12:09:19 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on October 06, 2013, 10:43:10 AM
So exactly how have you missed the federal government thus far, nothing abstract, a genuine need unmet?

For example:

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2013/10/14/131014taco_talk_talbot?utm_source=tny&utm_campaign=generalsocial&utm_medium=facebook

Quote[...]

What the Republican intransigents were willing to deprive of funds, besides the Capitol police, included the following: The Centers for Disease Control, which said that it would have to stop its seasonal flu-prevention program and would "have significantly reduced capacity to respond to outbreak investigations." The Environmental Protection Agency, which would close down almost entirely, and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which would stop most of its inspections. The wic program, which provides healthy food supplements for millions of pregnant women, new mothers, and babies, and could run on temporary federal funds only through the end of the month. The Food and Drug Administration, which said it "will be unable to support the majority of its food safety, nutrition, and cosmetics activities," and would have to halt "the majority of the laboratory research necessary to inform public health decision-making." The National Institutes of Health, which announced that it would not be enrolling any new patients in ongoing studies or clinical trials.

[...]

Somehow I don't think those kind of things bother him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Age jokes aside, Grumbler's point is valid. It is way too early to declare the services that have stopped to be unnecessary. Their effects aren't immediate, but residual.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Rasputin on October 06, 2013, 10:43:10 AMI would like to see us all enjoy prosperity and a rising tide that could lift all boats. Government spending and programs that make us all more dependent on a shrinking number of tax payers logically can not be the solution.

What's illogical about it?  Walk me through it.

You can have growth with wage stagnation and decline for a majority; you can have tax-and-spend policies even if there's only one taxpayer in the country and he makes thirteen trillion dollars a year.

It's "illogical" because you prefer the tyranny of nature to the benevolence of the state, Pete.  It's also, I suggest--maybe a little?--disingenuous.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on October 06, 2013, 04:51:43 PM
What's illogical about it?  Walk me through it.

You can have growth with wage stagnation and decline for a majority; you can have tax-and-spend policies even if there's only one taxpayer in the country and he makes thirteen trillion dollars a year.

It's "illogical" because you prefer the tyranny of nature to the benevolence of the state, Pete.  It's also, I suggest--maybe a little?--disingenuous.

I agree that it's not illogical.  It is, however, prone to internal tensions that only a few states have managed to resolve.

If a majority of the voting population is a net recipient of free money, there is no natural limit to the demand for free money.

As free money becomes more abundant, marginal work will be disincentivized, further increasing demand for free money and further reducing revenue.

Taxable income generated by the golden goose Xtile is not exogeneous, i.e. it is not static; it will decrease in response to increased taxation.

Ideologue

That sounds more like a problem with democracy than high taxation.

In seriousness, obviously the solution is to find a middle, metastable ground.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

jimmy olsen

Do we have an Obamacare thread? I've seen some interesting critical articles on it, but I don't think it really fits this thread, even though Obamacare is the reason the GOP is holding the government hostage.

EDIT: Never mind, found one
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

I thought congress had passed a bill to fund the entire military. I don't know why they send the DA civilian workes home, or wby the commissary is closed. Didn't I post this already?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Siege on October 06, 2013, 08:49:15 PM
I thought congress had passed a bill to fund the entire military.

Only the uniforms.

Admiral Yi

Which, now that i think about it, does undercut the "piecemeal bad" argument somewhat.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on October 06, 2013, 01:23:40 PMThe problem is that analogy doesn't hold up anymore.  The result of Republican policies is poverty, disease and death.

Yeah... I'm pretty sure that if you look at all major economic indicators, the Democrats have a way better track record for the US than Republicans these last 5 decades or so.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on October 06, 2013, 12:09:19 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on October 06, 2013, 10:43:10 AM
So exactly how have you missed the federal government thus far, nothing abstract, a genuine need unmet?

For example:

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2013/10/14/131014taco_talk_talbot?utm_source=tny&utm_campaign=generalsocial&utm_medium=facebook

Quote[...]

What the Republican intransigents were willing to deprive of funds, besides the Capitol police, included the following: The Centers for Disease Control, which said that it would have to stop its seasonal flu-prevention program and would "have significantly reduced capacity to respond to outbreak investigations." The Environmental Protection Agency, which would close down almost entirely, and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which would stop most of its inspections. The wic program, which provides healthy food supplements for millions of pregnant women, new mothers, and babies, and could run on temporary federal funds only through the end of the month. The Food and Drug Administration, which said it "will be unable to support the majority of its food safety, nutrition, and cosmetics activities," and would have to halt "the majority of the laboratory research necessary to inform public health decision-making." The National Institutes of Health, which announced that it would not be enrolling any new patients in ongoing studies or clinical trials.

[...]

We are supposed to be sad about the closing of OSHA, EPA and FDA?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.