News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Top 20 Most visited Museum in the world

Started by Savonarola, September 05, 2013, 02:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Been countless times to the Louvre, a couple times to Orsay, Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie, to Pompidou/Beaubourg.
As to London, I went to the Imperial War Museum in London plus the others but I wouldn't mind going visiting them again.
Visited a long time ago the Vatican, so I could return there as well.
My most visited museums now are Cinémathèques as a matter of fact.

Scipio

2 NATIONAL MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY Washington, DC, U.S.A.
3 NATIONAL AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM Washington, DC, U.S.A.
5 BRITISH MUSEUM London, U.K.
6 TATE MODERN London, U.K.
7 NATIONAL GALLERY London, U.K.
10 NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM London, U.K.
11 NATIONAL MUSEUM OF AMERICAN HISTORY, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
17 VICTORIA & ALBERT MUSEUM London, U.K.
20 SCIENCE MUSEUM (SOUTH KENSINGTON) London, U.K.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Maladict

1 LOUVRE Paris, France
4 THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART New York, NY, U.S.A.
7 NATIONAL GALLERY London, U.K.
8 VATICAN MUSEUMS Vatican
15 CENTRE POMPIDOU Paris, France
16 MUSEE D'ORSAY Paris, France

So few :cry:

I'm having serious doubts about this list.
The first non-appearance that came to mind, Aya Sophia (which is a museum), apparently attracted 3,5 million visitors in 2011. That should place it at #17 on the global list.

I wonder how high all those natural history museums would rank if they weren't free.

The National Gallery of Scotland is a fine museum, but not that fine.
Tretyakov over the Kremlin? Maybe.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on September 06, 2013, 07:25:37 AM
I wonder how high all those natural history museums would rank if they weren't free.

Like the not free Natural History Museum in New York? :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2013, 07:50:42 AM

Ah, missed that one.

In Holland we've lost quite a few natural history museums lately, they don't seem to be that popular at all.
Then again, we've lost quite a bit of nature as well, people don't seem to care too much about that either.

Alcibiades

Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2013, 03:12:57 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 05, 2013, 02:26:57 PM
1 LOUVRE Paris, France
2 NATIONAL MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY Washington, DC, U.S.A.
4 THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART New York, NY, U.S.A.
8 VATICAN MUSEUMS Vatican
9 AMERICAN MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY New York, NY, U.S.A.
11 NATIONAL MUSEUM OF AMERICAN HISTORY, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
13 NATIONAL GALLERY OF ART Washington DC, U.S.A.
15 CENTRE POMPIDOU Paris, France
16 MUSEE D'ORSAY Paris, France

I have been to these 11.

No Imperial War Museum :(

9 here.  And the Imperial War Museum is definitely one of the best I've been to.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on September 06, 2013, 08:09:39 AM
Ah, missed that one.

In Holland we've lost quite a few natural history museums lately, they don't seem to be that popular at all.
Then again, we've lost quite a bit of nature as well, people don't seem to care too much about that either.

Well naturally Holland would be underwater so I can see how people wouldn't shed too many tears for their homes not being flooded.

But if you have kids the natural history museum is a much easier sell than trying to get them to appreciate Renaissance painting of Madonna and Child #15,000 so I am rather surprised they are not more popular.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on September 06, 2013, 08:09:39 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2013, 07:50:42 AM

Ah, missed that one.

That said, like the Met, it is basically free if you have your wits about you. Both mention in small lettering that the prices listed are suggested. I generally fork over a dollar.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

All 6 London ones (we are blessed - I also love the Museum of London and the Royal Academy for specific shows; they always hire superb curators), Pompidou, Louvre and NY natural history.

Syt

Of the ones listed I've only been to the Musée D'Orsay.  :Embarrass:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Not exactly related but...

"This Is What Happens When You Ask Americans To Name A British City That Isn't London"

I like the Paris and Wales ones. :D

DGuller

Maybe the ones answering Paris have merely not gotten over the Hundred Years' War.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on September 06, 2013, 10:30:35 AM
Maybe the ones answering Paris have merely not gotten over the Hundred Years' War.

We call them the Malthus Party

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2013, 10:27:04 AM
Not exactly related but...

"This Is What Happens When You Ask Americans To Name A British City That Isn’t London"

Poor Edinburgh.  That had to sting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."