Top 20 Most visited Museum in the world

Started by Savonarola, September 05, 2013, 02:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on September 05, 2013, 03:24:53 PM
I'm missing the Uffizzis and the Prado myself, I really wonder what that Chinese geological museum has going for it.  :lol:

Being in China probably.

I mean the Pergamon in Berlin is pretty mind blowing but as Berlin is neither a super city nor a major tourist destination I knew it would not be on the list.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2013, 03:26:12 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 05, 2013, 03:16:33 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 05, 2013, 03:10:08 PM
I've been to 10, the three Paris ones, the two NY ones, four London ones (I'm missing the Tate) and the Vatican.

I was surprised to see the Tate Modern on the list; much less so high up there.

I'm missing the Uffizzis and the Prado myself, I really wonder what that Chinese geological museum has going for it.  :lol:

... lots of Chinese?  ;)

If every school in Beijing has to make a trip there it surely puts them in the top spots.  :lol:

Savonarola

I would have thought those two, The Hermitage and MOMA would have made the list.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2013, 03:12:57 PM
No Imperial War Museum :(

Isn't that the one with the wing dedicated to the life and overall awesomeness of General Montgomery?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

There's a Top 20 just for Europe in the report (page 33 of the pdf). Here's the ranking:

1- Louvre
2- British Museum
3- Tate Modern
4- National Gallery
5 - Vatican Museums
6- Natural History Museum (London)
7- Pompidou
8- Orsay
9- Victoria & Albert
10- Science Museum (London)
11- Hermitage
12- Prado
13- Sciences et Industrie (Paris)
14- Reina Sofía
15- Tower of London
16- National Portrait Gallery
17- National Museum of Scotland (Edinburgh)
18- Uffizzi
19- Tate Britain
20- Tretyakov Gallery (Moscow)

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on September 05, 2013, 03:31:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2013, 03:12:57 PM
No Imperial War Museum :(

Isn't that the one with the wing dedicated to the life and overall awesomeness of General Montgomery?

Should make it a shrine for Langishistas.  :bowler:

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Savonarola on September 05, 2013, 03:31:10 PM

I would have thought those two, The Hermitage and MOMA would have made the list.

The MOMA is not even in the US top 20, there must be something funky going on.

Edit: Sorry, it is, at #9.

The Brain

Many museums underreport their visitors for tax reasons.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on September 05, 2013, 03:33:57 PM
There's a Top 20 just for Europe in the report (page 33 of the pdf). Here's the ranking:

1- Louvre
2- British Museum
3- Tate Modern
4- National Gallery
5 - Vatican Museums
7- Pompidou
8- Orsay
9- Victoria & Albert
11- Hermitage
12- Prado
14- Reina Sofía
15- Tower of London
18- Uffizzi
19- Tate Britain

Wow Pergamon even loses to the National Museum of Scotland.  I mean what is even there?  Famous sheep?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on September 05, 2013, 03:35:26 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 05, 2013, 03:31:10 PM

The MOMA is not even in the US top 20, there must be something funky going on.

Edit: Sorry, it is, at #9.

I was going to say, yeah it is. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2013, 03:36:47 PM
Wow Pergamon even loses to the National Museum of Scotland.  I mean what is even there?  Famous sheep?

:scots: Actually, yes, the stuffed remains of Dolly the Sheep reside there.  :scots:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

The most famous sheep in the world has to count for something. And they even made a spinning platform for it.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: The Larch on September 05, 2013, 03:33:57 PM

1- Louvre
2- British Museum
3- Tate Modern
4- National Gallery
5 - Vatican Museums
7- Pompidou
8- Orsay
9- Victoria & Albert
11- Hermitage
12- Prado
14- Reina Sofía
15- Tower of London
18- Uffizzi
19- Tate Britain

AFAIK the Pergamon has been undergoing deep reforms in the last few years, that might hinder the number of visitors.

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on September 05, 2013, 03:43:54 PM

The most famous sheep in the world has to count for something. And they even made a spinning platform for it.

Wow.  Scottish jokes just write themselves don't they? :scots: