Top 20 Most visited Museum in the world

Started by Savonarola, September 05, 2013, 02:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I saw an article on the top 20 most visited museums in 2012 on CNN and was curious how many places members of this forum have been to.

The link to the report (put out by AECOM and Themed Entertainment Association:  http://www.aecom.com/deployedfiles/Internet/Capabilities/Economics/_documents/2012%20Theme%20Index%20Combined_1-1_online.pdf

(The actual report has all sorts of attractions, not just museums.  Eight of the top 25 theme park attractions in the world are located here in Florida; and Europeans think we have no culture.)

The list:

1 LOUVRE Paris, France
2 NATIONAL MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY Washington, DC, U.S.A.
3 NATIONAL AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM Washington, DC, U.S.A.
4 THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART New York, NY, U.S.A.
5 BRITISH MUSEUM London, U.K.
6 TATE MODERN London, U.K.
7 NATIONAL GALLERY London, U.K.
8 VATICAN MUSEUMS Vatican
9 AMERICAN MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY New York, NY, U.S.A.
10 NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM London, U.K.
11 NATIONAL MUSEUM OF AMERICAN HISTORY, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
12 NATIONAL PALACE MUSEUM (TAIWAN) Taipei, Taiwan
13 NATIONAL GALLERY OF ART Washington DC, U.S.A.
14 NATIONAL MUSEUM OF CHINA Beijing, China
15 CENTRE POMPIDOU Paris, France
16 MUSEE D'ORSAY Paris, France
17 VICTORIA & ALBERT MUSEUM London, U.K.
18 NATIONAL MUSEUM OF KOREA Seoul, South Korea
19 GEOLOGICAL MUSEUM OF CHINA Beijing, China
20 SCIENCE MUSEUM (SOUTH KENSINGTON) London, U.K.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

I've been to 13, (Louvre, Smithsonian Natural History, Air and Space, and Gallery of Art, Metropolitan Museum of Art,  British Museum, Tate Modern, British National Gallery, American Museum of Natural History, Vatican Museums, National Museum of China, Orsay, and V&A)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

What about the 20 most visited creationism museums?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Just two - the Met and the Vatican Museum.  Not having visited London or Paris yet cuts out a lot of options.

There were some really outstanding museums in Vienna, I'm surprised one of them didn't make the list.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

I've been to all of the US ones plus the Musee D'Orsay.  Missed the other Paris museums and haven't spent any time London, Rome or East Asia.

Tonitrus

I definitely need to hit more of the DC museums while I am stationed out here.  This fall/winter (when it's not swamp-ass balls hot walking around) shall be: The Summer of Culture.

Savonarola

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 05, 2013, 02:55:18 PM
I definitely need to hit more of the DC museums while I am stationed out here.  This fall/winter (when it's not swamp-ass balls hot walking around) shall be: The Summer of Culture.

If you're at the Smithsonian the best café is the one in the Museum of Native American History.  Even in the heat of the summer it's worth it to leave the museum you're at to go there for lunch.

garbon

Quote from: Savonarola on September 05, 2013, 02:32:20 PM
I've been to 13, (Louvre, Smithsonian Natural History, Air and Space, and Gallery of Art, Metropolitan Museum of Art,  British Museum, Tate Modern, British National Gallery, American Museum of Natural History, Vatican Museums, National Museum of China, Orsay, and V&A)

I've been to 13 too! :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2013, 02:36:54 PM
There were some really outstanding museums in Vienna, I'm surprised one of them didn't make the list.

On a list of most visited?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Savonarola on September 05, 2013, 03:02:23 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 05, 2013, 02:55:18 PM

If you're at the Smithsonian the best café is the one in the Museum of Native American History.  Even in the heat of the summer it's worth it to leave the museum you're at to go there for lunch.

I, of course, meant Winter of Culture. 

This Floridian heat has addled my brain.

The Larch

I've been to 10, the three Paris ones, the two NY ones, four London ones (I'm missing the Tate) and the Vatican.

Not having been to Washington really puts me at a disadvantage.

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on September 05, 2013, 02:26:57 PM
1 LOUVRE Paris, France
2 NATIONAL MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY Washington, DC, U.S.A.
3 NATIONAL AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM Washington, DC, U.S.A.
4 THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART New York, NY, U.S.A.
5 BRITISH MUSEUM London, U.K.
8 VATICAN MUSEUMS Vatican
9 AMERICAN MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY New York, NY, U.S.A.
11 NATIONAL MUSEUM OF AMERICAN HISTORY, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
13 NATIONAL GALLERY OF ART Washington DC, U.S.A.
15 CENTRE POMPIDOU Paris, France
16 MUSEE D'ORSAY Paris, France

I have been to these 11.

No Imperial War Museum :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: The Larch on September 05, 2013, 03:10:08 PM
I've been to 10, the three Paris ones, the two NY ones, four London ones (I'm missing the Tate) and the Vatican.

I was surprised to see the Tate Modern on the list; much less so high up there.

The Larch

Quote from: Savonarola on September 05, 2013, 03:16:33 PM

I'm missing the Uffizzis and the Prado myself, I really wonder what that Chinese geological museum has going for it.  :lol:

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on September 05, 2013, 03:24:53 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 05, 2013, 03:16:33 PM

I'm missing the Uffizzis and the Prado myself, I really wonder what that Chinese geological museum has going for it.  :lol:

... lots of Chinese?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius