Top 20 Most visited Museum in the world

Started by Savonarola, September 05, 2013, 02:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2013, 03:36:47 PM
Wow Pergamon even loses to the National Museum of Scotland.  I mean what is even there?  Famous sheep?

Believe it or not, I've been to the National Museum of Scotland but not the Pergamon-and I've been to Berlin (but only with maybe 1 day free time).

I don't remember what was there, except I think I was one of the few people in there. I can only imagine that Edinburgh doesn't have many cultural attractions so it gets the bulk of visitors looking for something to do when the weather is poor. I think I must have gone before the rotating sheep exhibit. That would have been cool.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

In E'burgh I think I'd go to the National Gallery of Scotland ahead, plenty of big names in their collection, although no real masterpieces. The National Museum of Scotland seems to have plenty of nifty archaeological stuff, though.

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on September 05, 2013, 03:50:57 PM
In E'burgh I think I'd go to the National Gallery of Scotland ahead, plenty of big names in their collection, although no real masterpieces. The National Museum of Scotland seems to have plenty of nifty archaeological stuff, though.

World's oldest haggis, saved by a thrifty Scotsman of ancient times?  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: The Larch on September 05, 2013, 03:50:57 PM

I'm something of a history nerd. I'll take a second rate history museum over a second rate art museum any day. I'm generally only going to an art museum if it is really top tier.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

1 LOUVRE Paris, France
5 BRITISH MUSEUM London, U.K.
8 VATICAN MUSEUMS Vatican
10 NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM London, U.K.
15 CENTRE POMPIDOU Paris, France
16 MUSEE D'ORSAY Paris, France
17 VICTORIA & ALBERT MUSEUM London, U.K.
20 SCIENCE MUSEUM (SOUTH KENSINGTON) London, U.K.

My attendance list.  I spent 3 days in the British Museum the first time I visited.  If I lived in London I would probably go their often.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: Savonarola on September 05, 2013, 03:16:33 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 05, 2013, 03:10:08 PM
I've been to 10, the three Paris ones, the two NY ones, four London ones (I'm missing the Tate) and the Vatican.

I was surprised to see the Tate Modern on the list; much less so high up there.

The Tate didn't do anything for me. I loved British, Natural History and National Gallery (they had a wonderful impressionist exhibition).

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on September 05, 2013, 02:26:57 PM
12 NATIONAL PALACE MUSEUM (TAIWAN) Taipei, Taiwan
18 NATIONAL MUSEUM OF KOREA Seoul, South Korea

I've been to these. I'm amazed that none of the museums in Tokyo are on the list.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 05, 2013, 04:39:01 PM
1 LOUVRE Paris, France
8 VATICAN MUSEUMS Vatican

My attendance list.  I spent 3 days in the British Museum the first time I visited.  If I lived in London I would probably go their often.

For a few short glorious weeks in 1978 I lived in one of the flats opposite the British Museum. I was workless  :wub: and used to pop across on a daily basis for 40 minutes or so and really look at a particular set of artefacts.

Then I got a job, could no longer afford to live in central London and moved to bloody Croydon  :mad:

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 05, 2013, 05:21:06 PM

I've been to these. I'm amazed that none of the museums in Tokyo are on the list.

I'm not too surprised about the National Palace Museum - it does, after all house most of the treasury of the Qing dynasty. Plenty of people are interested in those. As well, it's probably one of the premier destinations for major traveling exhibits (they've got a Renoir show up right now f. ex.) in the Chinese world, so those two add up.

Not sure about the National Museum of Korea. I'm guessing the Japanese museums suffer from there being too many of them - so traffic is more dispersed - and from Tokyo offering too many other things to visitors, thus pushing museums down on the list for visitors. Perhaps the Korean museum is the one major one in Seoul that most visitors to Korea go to get the obligatory exposure to Korean culture and history?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on September 05, 2013, 06:23:18 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 05, 2013, 05:21:06 PM

I'm not too surprised about the National Palace Museum - it does, after all house most of the treasury of the Qing dynasty. Plenty of people are interested in those. As well, it's probably one of the premier destinations for major traveling exhibits (they've got a Renoir show up right now f. ex.) in the Chinese world, so those two add up.

Not sure about the National Museum of Korea. I'm guessing the Japanese museums suffer from there being too many of them - so traffic is more dispersed - and from Tokyo offering too many other things to visitors, thus pushing museums down on the list for visitors. Perhaps the Korean museum is the one major one in Seoul that most visitors to Korea go to get the obligatory exposure to Korean culture and history?
Those Japanese museums also suffer from being all next to each other.

For cultural history, yeah. It's definitely the big one in Korea, and it gets the traveling exhibits from around the world.

Of course the main museum for Languisites, and seeming nearly as popular from my anecdotal experience, is the "War Memorial of Korea" which is a military history museum, ranging from the bronze age to the modern day.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on September 05, 2013, 03:28:06 PM
I haven't been to any of them.

Same. I did go to the rinky-dink free art museum in Balboa Park(the Timken) back in May.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

I've been to these:

Quote3 NATIONAL AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM Washington, DC, U.S.A.
3 NATIONAL AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM Washington, DC, U.S.A.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Brazen

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 05, 2013, 04:39:01 PM
I spent 3 days in the British Museum the first time I visited.  If I lived in London I would probably go their often.
I usually go at least once a year, and every time a Languishite is in town! In fact I'm going next week for my birthday, to try and catch the tail end of the Pompeii exhibition.

I've been to:

1 LOUVRE Paris, France
6 TATE MODERN London, U.K.
7 NATIONAL GALLERY London, U.K.

A mere nine, I hate being less cultured that our colonial cousins :weep:

The only US museums I've been to were in Chicago, none of which made the list, and I was in Beijing for such a short visit I was too busy doing the big outdoors stuff.

I'm not quite sure why I've never made it to NY, seeing as I've wanted to visit for as long as I remember. Probably some combination of no-one to go with and unaffordable accommodation.