NFL Week 1: The Official 1st Thread of NFL Week MegaThreads

Started by CountDeMoney, September 05, 2013, 05:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on September 05, 2013, 09:14:46 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 09:13:44 AM

I'm getting in for free, but I'll have to work.

Doing what?

These days, just pulling pictures off the printer and stuffing them in binders for the runners to take to coaches.  Pretty easy work, though ironically I miss out on seeing some of the game.

We have our computer hooked into feeds from the side line and end zone cameras (both high up) and take pictures of the offensive & defensive formations before the snap and shortly after the snap.  With our old setup, we could only really print a couple sets of pictures per play, but with our new equipment, we can print pictures for every coach, offense and defense.  I'm usually on the field, but we have an identical setup for the coach's booth (which is a nice place to watch the game from, and it's usually climate-controlled).

In the past, I've filled in on an emergency basis as the guy who controls the printer.  Which was a pain in the ass job with the old equipment.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 09:19:26 AM

Hell, looking at stubhub right now, you can get in to the 9/16 Monday night Steelers @ Bengals game for as low as $65.  Should go up to at least $100 next week.

But of course if you're a Steelers fan, you'd want to get the Heinz Field experience (freezing your ass off in mid-December).

Well duh. :P

Times like this I wish that I still had the ability to get a press pass. I'm still pissed that I didn't use that to get into a game at Soldier Field. Made the locker room once, but never the game. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on September 05, 2013, 09:36:22 AM
Times like this I wish that I still had the ability to get a press pass. I'm still pissed that I didn't use that to get into a game at Soldier Field. Made the locker room once, but never the game. :(

Yep, press box is the place to be for a game.  Nice & comfy, lots of free food (hell, at Giants Stadium they even have free beer), and there's always an empty desk you can park yourself at and pretend you're that guy who for whatever reason didn't show up. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on September 05, 2013, 08:54:15 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 08:51:01 AM
I'm going to the Chicago game. It'll be a shitty drive back home Sunday night if the Bungles lose. I've never seen a game in Soldier Field, though, so I'll at least be able to mark it off my bucket list.

Are tickets hard to come by? Any NFL tickets, I mean.
Just remember, you can't bring your purse with you.  The NFL's official policy is that women belong in the kitchen, not at the stadium.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

:lol:

They may however bring clear ziplock bags with sandwiches in case their men get hungry.

derspiess

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 10:33:57 AM

They may however bring clear ziplock bags with sandwiches in case their men get hungry.
But only one bag per person.  Otherwise, terror might happen.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

I still take my backpack in with me through the press entrance.  FEAR ME

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 10:59:44 AM
I still take my backpack in with me through the press entrance.  FEAR ME
Surely they'll check it for pressure cookers?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 10:57:17 AM
They chose a beer from my neighborhood brewery to represent the Bengals :)

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20130904/SPORTS/130904046/What-beer-represents-your-NFL-team-

Some of those are hilarious.

New York Jets: Bud Lite Strawberry Lime-o-Rita

Oakland Raiders: Anything in a 40-ounce bottle

:P

The best beer I've tried on the list--Stone Arrogant Bastard. So I guess It's the Chargers for me. I am disappointed they didn't give the Bills GCA though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Liep

First commercial I got when I checked if gamepass worked was for nfl.com/allclear. And you can bring a purse with you! But it may be no bigger than a human hand.

I fear that commercial will terrorize this season.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

MadBurgerMaker

Dammit.  The Texans just lost an OG for the season with a broken foot.  He was "just" depth, and a rookie, and all that, but depth is a good thing to have.  At least they don't have to cut anyone when Smith comes back, I guess.

Syt

Quote from: Neil on September 05, 2013, 10:57:19 AM

But only one bag per person.  Otherwise, terror might happen.

QuoteThe following items ARE PERMITTED:

Clear plastic, vinyl or PVC bags smaller than 12" x 12" x 6"
One-gallon clear plastic freezer bags
Clutch purses no larger than 4.5" x 6.5"
Medically necessary items, after inspection

The following items ARE NOT PERMITTED:
All prohibited items must be disposed of or returned to vehicles

Bags (Camera, binocular, computer, cinch, diaper, backpack, fanny pack, etc.)
Purses larger than 4.5" x 6.5"
Luggage
Seat cushions
Termoses/coolers
Cans/bottles/flasks/containers
Alcoholic beverages
Banners/signs on poles
Laser Pointers
Strollers
Video/movie cameras/tripods
Professional cameras/lenses (6 in. or longer)
Audio recording equipment
Noisemakers
Weapons
Apparel or signage displaying profane or abusive language
Any other item deemed dangerous and/or inappropriate
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 05, 2013, 07:06:38 AM
Seedy, your new place got Sunday Ticket for pissing off that dad & not watching the 'skins?

Nah, and it wouldn't matter anyway, since I'll be working at the shelter on Sundays.  But that's the reason why God invented TiVo.