Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Credibility is an argument for not making threats you don't intend to keep, not for keeping them when it would harm you to do so.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 29, 2013, 02:26:06 PMConsidering Cameron must have recalled Parliament thinking this would be a fairly straight forward matter it seems both sides did more damage to themselves than any possible other alternative.
Actually I think recalling Parliament was his first sign things were up. There was no need to do it, by convention he should have recalled Parliament if the UK go involved. There was a lot of pressure from MPs for Cameron to recall Parliament and for it to assert itself.

QuoteCredibility is an argument for not making threats you don't intend to keep, not for keeping them when it would harm you to do so.
That's fair enough, but it looks like Obama does intend to keep his threat.

My point is fears about your 'credibility' are absurd in foreign policy. The only relevance is for domestic politics.

Edit: Also UKIP is emerging as the anti-war party.

George Galloway also made the cui bono argument of 'we all know Assad is BAD enough but is he MAD enough' to use chemical weapons. Also that minorities live in fear of the rebels living. Needless to say both are better arguments than his original Israel gave the rebels chemical weapons as a false flag to prompt a Western attack on Syria :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2013, 02:26:28 PM
Credibility is an argument for not making threats you don't intend to keep, not for keeping them when it would harm you to do so.
It's both, though.  If you know that the guy threatening you feels very strongly about following through on his threats regardless of how prudent the threat was in the first place, you kind of take any threat at face value.  You avoid the situation where the threatened guy can miscalculate and not take your threat seriously (which would lead to a lose-lose situation).

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 29, 2013, 02:34:53 PM
My point is fears about your 'credibility' are absurd in foreign policy. The only relevance is for domestic politics.

Exactly the opposite.  As you and I agreed earlier, the domestic constituency for maintaining credibility is six fellows at the Council on Foreign Relations and two staffers on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.  Foreign policy is where it is advantageous to deter action through a threat, avoiding the muss and fuss of acting on the threat.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2013, 02:38:04 PMExactly the opposite.  As you and I agreed earlier, the domestic constituency for maintaining credibility is six fellows at the Council on Foreign Relations and two staffers on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
Or for candidates to moan vacuously about 'weakness' and the need for a 'strong' stance. Which is nonsense but that's the benefit.

QuoteForeign policy is where it is advantageous to deter action through a threat, avoiding the muss and fuss of acting on the threat.
You can threaten without actually following through and your threats still have credibility - see the USSR.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 29, 2013, 02:52:46 PM
Or for candidates to moan vacuously about 'weakness' and the need for a 'strong' stance. Which is nonsense but that's the benefit.

That has nothing to do with acting on your threats after you've made them.

QuoteYou can threaten without actually following through and your threats still have credibility - see the USSR.

Please elaborate.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2013, 02:56:55 PM
That has nothing to do with acting on your threats after you've made them.
Which I've said is pointless in foreign policy. It only matters in domestic politics.

QuotePlease elaborate.
The Soviet Union constantly made threats - especially against Berlin. At times they certainly looked like acting on it. They never did but it was a constant worry for Western policy makers and caused them to change policy, in the Cuban Missile Crisis for example. The credibility of the threat didn't matter, the Soviet ability to carry it through did - I think this is also the difference with say, the USSR, making a threat and the North Koreans or the Syrians. Both are possible, both could be credible, the USSR one is considerably more serious because they're far more able to follow through.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I'm struggling to recall any threats the Soviets made about Berlin or Cuba.  They didn't threaten to build a wall, they built a wall.  They didn't threaten to blockade, they blockaded.  They didn't threaten to ship nukes to Cuba, they shipped nukes to Cuba.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on August 29, 2013, 02:35:04 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2013, 02:26:28 PM
It's both, though.  If you know that the guy threatening you feels very strongly about following through on his threats regardless of how prudent the threat was in the first place, you kind of take any threat at face value.  You avoid the situation where the threatened guy can miscalculate and not take your threat seriously (which would lead to a lose-lose situation).

Credibility is also useful so you can bluff people into doing what you want. If a bluff is ineffective I don't think you should try to save credibility by going all in. Cut your losses and fold is a better strategy.

I don't know if Obama was trying to bluff Syria into not using chemical weapons. My guess is that when he decided not to intervene in the civil war was just trying to find a middle ground and throw a bone to the interventionists (as Obama tends to do). I would also guess that few would confuse statements on a low priority issue like Syria with a high priority issue (such as defense of Israel).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2013, 03:05:47 PM
I'm struggling to recall any threats the Soviets made about Berlin or Cuba.  They didn't threaten to build a wall, they built a wall.  They didn't threaten to blockade, they blockaded.  They didn't threaten to ship nukes to Cuba, they shipped nukes to Cuba.
They threatened Berlin during the Cuban Missile crisis. It was part of why JFK made the policy choices he did.

But as an example building the wall was preceded by at least three years of more or less constant public threats by Khrushchev.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on August 29, 2013, 03:15:06 PM
Credibility is also useful so you can bluff people into doing what you want. If a bluff is ineffective I don't think you should try to save credibility by going all in. Cut your losses and fold is a better strategy.
There is a fundamental game theory difference between diplomacy and (non-tournament) poker.  In poker, if someone calls your bluff, you can't really spite him.  If you go all-in to double down on your bluff, you just help your opponent even more.  You don't have a lose-lose spite option.  In diplomacy, you do have it, which changes the calculus rather dramatically.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 29, 2013, 03:23:26 PM
They threatened Berlin during the Cuban Missile crisis. It was part of why JFK made the policy choices he did.

But as an example building the wall was preceded by at least three years of more or less constant public threats by Khrushchev.

IIRC the threat was that they would occupy Berlin if the US invaded Cuba, no?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2013, 03:26:13 PM
IIRC the threat was that they would occupy Berlin if the US invaded Cuba, no?
They threatened that if the US used force at all they'd occupy Berlin. It was taken very seriously in the White House despite, as I say, several years of Soviet bluff over Berlin.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 29, 2013, 03:39:23 PM
They threatened that if the US used force at all they'd occupy Berlin. It was taken very seriously in the White House despite, as I say, several years of Soviet bluff over Berlin.

Not sure how you see that as a bluff.  Kennedy was presented with a variety of options involving use of force, and settled on an option short of violence, presumably at least in part because he took Kruschev's threat seriously.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2013, 03:47:47 PM
Not sure how you see that as a bluff.  Kennedy was presented with a variety of options involving use of force, and settled on an option short of violence, presumably at least in part because he took Kruschev's threat seriously.
As I say the Soviets had been threatening to occupy Berlin over various things since at least 58 - the Berlin ultimatum. Despite never following through that threat was still taken seriously during the Cuban missile crisis.
Let's bomb Russia!