How many people in Quebec are like Viper and Grallon?

Started by Razgovory, August 15, 2013, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 01:05:56 PM
Quote from: Grallon on August 29, 2013, 11:14:41 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 10:37:43 AM

It wasn't obvious to me. The fact is that I often get accused of all sorts of bias in Quebec threads, and so I quite honestly did not know if that was a reference to that.

Know what? This place is getting on my nerves, and it is my fault. I should I think take a break.

I've said it before - Malthus has blinders full on when it comes to this question - and when asked about it he gets all defensive.  :P

G.

See, Valmy?  :) This is exactly what I was talking about. Thanks, Grallon, for the demonstration.

Having some third party crack a joke, based on this history = easily mistaken as a personal dig. Hence, my question.

From G-man, sure. From Meri though?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Justin was beginning to sound like he understood the issue, and then he said this to a Globe reporter.

QuoteHe clarified that he does not see a "direct parallel between segregation and the Quebec charter" which, according to media reports, would ban religious headgear and other visible religious symbols in provincial workplaces. "The parallel is certainly between the fight for openness and respect and acceptance of everything that everyone is and I am proud of where we have come and where we are as an open society and I intend to keep us as an open society and that is the opposition I have against this charter," he told reporters.

No Justin it is not about acceptance and respect for everyone and everything.   There are plenty of things we have good reason not to respect or accept.  Its about religious tolerance and where the boundaries should be set regarding that.

Now I suppose you could be charitable and say his "everything and everyone" comment implied every religious practice and everyone practicing those religious beliefs.  But even that would be too broad.  We still have limits on religious practices.  The question is a lot more nuanced than his rather simplistic approach.

Said it before and I will say it again.  The more this guy talks the more he comes across has having all the sophistication of an undergrad polysci student.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2013, 01:08:08 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 01:05:56 PM
Quote from: Grallon on August 29, 2013, 11:14:41 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 10:37:43 AM

It wasn't obvious to me. The fact is that I often get accused of all sorts of bias in Quebec threads, and so I quite honestly did not know if that was a reference to that.

Know what? This place is getting on my nerves, and it is my fault. I should I think take a break.

I've said it before - Malthus has blinders full on when it comes to this question - and when asked about it he gets all defensive.  :P

G.

See, Valmy?  :) This is exactly what I was talking about. Thanks, Grallon, for the demonstration.

Having some third party crack a joke, based on this history = easily mistaken as a personal dig. Hence, my question.

From G-man, sure. From Meri though?

The point is that it is a sorta-established Languish meme: Malthus has it in for Quebec and Quebec folks. Fact that it is untrue is of course irrelevant, this being Languish. So that raises the question - is what she said supposed to be a dig based on that or not?

I thought it wasn't but could not be sure. Hence the question.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 29, 2013, 01:14:12 PM
Justin was beginning to sound like he understood the issue, and then he said this to a Globe reporter.

QuoteHe clarified that he does not see a "direct parallel between segregation and the Quebec charter" which, according to media reports, would ban religious headgear and other visible religious symbols in provincial workplaces. "The parallel is certainly between the fight for openness and respect and acceptance of everything that everyone is and I am proud of where we have come and where we are as an open society and I intend to keep us as an open society and that is the opposition I have against this charter," he told reporters.

No Justin it is not about acceptance and respect for everyone and everything.   There are plenty of things we have good reason not to respect or accept.  Its about religious tolerance and where the boundaries should be set regarding that.

Now I suppose you could be charitable and say his "everything and everyone" comment implied every religious practice and everyone practicing those religious beliefs.  But even that would be too broad.  We still have limits on religious practices.  The question is a lot more nuanced than his rather simplistic approach.

Said it before and I will say it again.  The more this guy talks the more he comes across has having all the sophistication of an undergrad polysci student.

Ouch.

I tend to like Trudeau's positions on things when I hear them third-hand.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maximus

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 01:17:12 PM
The point is that it is a sorta-established Languish meme: Malthus has it in for Quebec and Quebec folks.
I don't think I've ever heard that from anyone other than a couple of Usual Suspects who say it about anyone.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on August 29, 2013, 01:21:04 PM
The point is that it is a sorta-established Languish meme: Malthus has it in for Quebec and Quebec folks.
I don't think I've ever heard that from anyone other than a couple of Usual Suspects who say it about anyone.

Indeed. I didn't know that was a meme. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Naturally, I tend to notice it more often.  :lol:

I've got told it by posters I rarely even interact with.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2013, 01:22:30 PM

It is a meme in Canadian political threads.  It has been going on for some years.  I wouldnt say it is a Languish wide meme.  Max is pretty accurate in ascribing it to the Usual Suspects - depending who might be slotted into that definition.

I give Meri the benefit of the doubt in not knowing how her joke could be been interpreted within that background as she is more of a part time poster in these threads - much like yourself.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 29, 2013, 01:14:12 PM

Somebody showed him the polling numbers for this thing from Quebec, and he decided to walk his statements back a bit.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 29, 2013, 01:27:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2013, 01:22:30 PM

It is a meme in Canadian political threads.  It has been going on for some years.  I wouldnt say it is a Languish wide meme.  Max is pretty accurate in ascribing it to the Usual Suspects - depending who might be slotted into that definition.

I give Meri the benefit of the doubt in not knowing how her joke could be been interpreted within that background as she is more of a part time poster in these threads - much like yourself.

Okay. Yeah I knew it was a meme about Anglo-Canadians but didn't know it was Malthus specific.

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 09:30:50 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 29, 2013, 09:27:11 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 09:23:00 AM

Woah. You are in a bad mood this AM.  :lol:
:mellow:

Remarkably, it was going relatively fine until I logged into Languish. Go figure.
Fine. But why are you picking on me, here? I've done, literally, nothing to annoy you today - that I know of. :mellow:
And that was your mistake.  Girls love attention, even of the wrong kind.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2013, 01:29:37 PM
Okay. Yeah I knew it was a meme about Anglo-Canadians but didn't know it was Malthus specific.

I dunno how it got started, but it is pretty annoying to have people tell you repeatedly that you are a bigot, assuming you don't happen to think it is true. But like any Languish meme that someone is pushing, there is really no fighting it.   ;)

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 01:33:56 PM

I dunno how it got started, but it is pretty annoying to have people tell you repeatedly that you are a bigot, assuming you don't happen to think it is true. But like any Languish meme that someone is pushing, there is really no fighting it.   ;)

I thought you were pushing that trillion dollar stroller. :unsure:

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2013, 01:36:46 PM

Now I'm a victim of inflation, as well.  :(

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 01:38:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2013, 01:36:46 PM

Now I'm a victim of inflation, as well.  :(

Oh sorry, billion. :blush: