How many people in Quebec are like Viper and Grallon?

Started by Razgovory, August 15, 2013, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2013, 08:54:36 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 08:39:20 AM
Canada has a set of national ideals, which have emerged over time and which differ from those of the US (for example). They are, essentially, an emphasis of social harmony and balancing of interests, as opposed to the US focus on individual liberty.

I think you might be painting that with too big of a wide brush. Certainly during the course of the 20th and 21st centuries, the US has put a lot of effort into a collective and not just individual freedom (looking at our social spending - and sure we don't have the best functioning system but I think it'd be a mistaken to say our focus is just on individual liberty*).

*particularly during the last decade or so in US history where we've been sacrificing more and more personal liberty for perceived public good.

Also, I thought it was francophone nations/areas that put the most focus on the rights of the collective over the individual.

I'm talking in terms of comparative cultural ideals. Compared with Canada, the US tends, on average, to put more emphasis on individual liberty. That doesn't mean the US doesn't put effort into the collective and it doesn't mean that Canadians do not value individual liberty.

Also, emphasis on balancing of interests is not exactly the same as weighing down the collective side of the collective/individual dichotomy.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Canadian drama is no joke!

Heh actually it is sorta funny.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 09:19:46 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 29, 2013, 09:17:25 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 09:15:52 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 29, 2013, 09:09:17 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 28, 2013, 08:59:58 PM

I missed you guys  :blush: I've been lurking though.

Disagree.

We really can argue anything, can't we?

I ... assume this is a joke.  :)

And we've completely lost our sense of humor, too, apparently.  :rolleyes:

Using the "royal we"?  :hmm:

Meaning you. And everyone else around here.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on August 29, 2013, 09:21:16 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 09:19:46 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 29, 2013, 09:17:25 AM

Disagree.

And we've completely lost our sense of humor, too, apparently.  :rolleyes:

Using the "royal we"?  :hmm:

Meaning you. And everyone else around here.

Woah. You are in a bad mood this AM.  :lol:

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 09:23:00 AM

:mellow:

Remarkably, it was going relatively fine until I logged into Languish. Go figure.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 09:18:50 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2013, 08:54:36 AM
Canada has a set of national ideals, which have emerged over time and which differ from those of the US (for example). They are, essentially, an emphasis of social harmony and balancing of interests, as opposed to the US focus on individual liberty.

I think you might be painting that with too big of a wide brush. Certainly during the course of the 20th and 21st centuries, the US has put a lot of effort into a collective and not just individual freedom (looking at our social spending - and sure we don't have the best functioning system but I think it'd be a mistaken to say our focus is just on individual liberty*).

*particularly during the last decade or so in US history where we've been sacrificing more and more personal liberty for perceived public good.

Also, I thought it was francophone nations/areas that put the most focus on the rights of the collective over the individual.

I'm talking in terms of comparative cultural ideals. Compared with Canada, the US tends, on average, to put more emphasis on individual liberty. That doesn't mean the US doesn't put effort into the collective and it doesn't mean that Canadians do not value individual liberty.

Also, emphasis on balancing of interests is not exactly the same as weighing down the collective side of the collective/individual dichotomy.

I'm just saying that if someone was taking the stance that there is no Canadian culture (which I am not!), I don't think what you're saying is so convincing. To myself, it sounds like highlighting a difference that is not all that severe.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on August 29, 2013, 09:27:11 AM

Remarkably, it was going relatively fine until I logged into Languish. Go figure.

Fine. But why are you picking on me, here? I've done, literally, nothing to annoy you today - that I know of. :mellow:

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on August 29, 2013, 01:34:56 AMYes, the vague contours started forming in the 60s. This is just a personal opinion. I think everybody has their own definition of what culture means.

:lol:

Like I said, either making a political point or taking the piss. In the case of your personal opinion, I think it's both.

Welcome back :hug:

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2013, 09:27:55 AM
I'm just saying that if someone was taking the stance that there is no Canadian culture (which I am not!), I don't think what you're saying is so convincing. To myself, it sounds like highlighting a difference that is not all that severe.

I think it is a major and significant difference. Naturally any argument about "culture" is going to be pretty subjective and subject to the comment that variations within a country are greater that variations between countries.

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 09:30:50 AM

Fine. But why are you picking on me, here? I've done, literally, nothing to annoy you today - that I know of. :mellow:

Disagree.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 09:33:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2013, 09:27:55 AM
Naturally any argument about "culture" is going to be pretty subjective and subject to the comment that variations within a country are greater that variations between countries.

Fair.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on August 29, 2013, 09:44:00 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 09:30:50 AM

Disagree.

You took what looked like it might be a crack at me. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, assuming you were just joking. And I'm the bad guy?  :hmm:

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 09:50:03 AM

You took what looked like it might be a crack at me. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, assuming you were just joking. And I'm the bad guy?  :hmm:

:rolleyes:

It was obviously a joke, and that you would think that it might be a crack at you says either you're paranoid, or you think very little of my ability to read, understand, and logically deduce what you were really saying. I'll go with the latter, as that seems to be the theme around here lately.