How many people in Quebec are like Viper and Grallon?

Started by Razgovory, August 15, 2013, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2013, 03:35:50 PM
So long as they are not religious, gay or anything else that might offend the government of the day.
If people don't like religion, gays or anything else, we sure must not offend them by reminding them of our tolerance.  It would be a crime to go against someone religious beliefs, after all, no matter the belief.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2013, 03:48:56 PM
Ok Viper, you tell me.  What is wrong with this

QuoteIt includes, for the first time, references to marriage fraud and human smuggling

Shocking!
I don't know, I was hoping you would.  This goes way beyond anything Quebec has done, but we're the racists ones.

So I'm waiting for some explation... If this is more extreme than what we have done so far, and you don't like what we have done so far, surely you must be able to explain what is wrong with our actual policies.  You certainly wouldn't criticize a policy that has not even been presented, discussed, and voted, now would you?  'Cause that be a little silly...

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2013, 04:57:41 PM
True story: the local first nations around Kippawa in Quebec all seem to speak English, not French. Moreover, they no longer speak or read their ancestral language.

My dad found a picture taken by my grandfather in the 1940s in the area that had a sign in the background in three languages - French, English and Algonquian. He took a print to Chief Harry at his request, and they were very happy to have it, as they planned to use it to show the local government there that the native language had been officially recognized back then.

Only thing was, Chief Harry could find no-one who could read the Algonquian. Its use has completely disappeared.
Algonquian is the language family, but there are various dialects.  Many dialects still exists and are taught in reservation.  Huron language is extinct, but they have adopted another writing system, I think.  Signs on their reservations are bilingual, native language and French.  I'd have to search to find out the whole story though.

And yeah, it's sad when a language disapears, part of the culture disapears too.  It's a good proof that being too tolerant of foreigner's way will lead to your own assimilation.  There clearly needs to be boundaries.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2013, 05:52:32 PM
I feel bad that you wasted time emphatically typing such drivel.
Btw, slippery slope much?
what is drivel here?
Do you even read what I type or you're reading what I think I type?  'Cause right now, it feels as if you're discussing some immigration policy that no one has seen so far.  I don't see what's wrong with the Feds have done so far, yet, according to you and others, it must be pretty racist&bigoted, since it goes way beyond anything Quebec has done so far.  Unless there would be a double standard, again.

garbon

You are the one who said you must act now before it gets worse.

Also, yes I do read your posts. Even when you conflate a million different issues.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on August 27, 2013, 07:41:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2013, 05:52:32 PM
I feel bad that you wasted time emphatically typing such drivel.
Btw, slippery slope much?
what is drivel here?
Do you even read what I type or you're reading what I think I type?  'Cause right now, it feels as if you're discussing some immigration policy that no one has seen so far.  I don't see what's wrong with the Feds have done so far, yet, according to you and others, it must be pretty racist&bigoted, since it goes way beyond anything Quebec has done so far.  Unless there would be a double standard, again.

Dude, we read what you type and that's precisely why you are met with such derision on the subject.  For one thing you are mixing up public and private requests.  If I call you to ask you to turn your music down so I can get some sleep, it's a private request.  If the police come in and tell you to turn down your music that's a public request.  The YMCA thing was a private thing.

You seem utterly paranoid that someone is calling you a Nazi, and I suspect it's because you fear the shoe would fit to well.  You are the one going on about conspiracies to use immigrant to destroy your culture, restricting private communications, coercing people into to following your culture, using the fact the US army murder some people a hundred and forty years ago as a justification for this.  That's pretty bonkers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2013, 06:13:14 PM
One thing I'm unclear on, (okay that's a lie, there are a lot of things I'm unclear on), wouldn't multiculturalism destroy English speaking Canada as well?  If it's really a plot to flood Quebec with foreigners then wouldn't it do the same to saw British Columbia which has fewer people living in it then Quebec.

There is no Canadian culture, so it doesn't matter much.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Zoupa on August 28, 2013, 09:34:11 AM
One thing I'm unclear on, (okay that's a lie, there are a lot of things I'm unclear on), wouldn't multiculturalism destroy English speaking Canada as well?  If it's really a plot to flood Quebec with foreigners then wouldn't it do the same to saw British Columbia which has fewer people living in it then Quebec.

Your face is on the wall but you never seen to work!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

They have a centuries-old cultural tradition of not being the United States.

Oh and hi Zoupa :hug: :frog:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 27, 2013, 05:10:52 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 27, 2013, 02:49:07 PM
Besides, aren't you originally from the Alentejo region? That's only slightly better then the Azores.

Hint: Bragança ;)
Anglo-Canadian imperialism under its thin guise of "multiculturalism" really works wonders for the cultural race to the bottom as can be seen with you :(

Can I get a summary on the issue between these two?

crazy canuck

And now the real trolls appear

Zoupa

Define Canadian culture. Tim Hortons and hockey don't count.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on August 28, 2013, 09:59:26 AM
Define Canadian culture. Tim Hortons and hockey don't count.

I suppose you demand a simplistic answer knowing one does not exist.  The great thing about Canadian culture is its diversity.  We are not like other nations who strive for a unifying national identity because we recognize we have many.  From BB's love of everything northern to Grey Fox's love of everything french and my love of all the racial and cultural diversity of Vancouver and everything in between.

Valmy is quite right that part of our identity is to strongly identify with not being American because, on the one hand they are quite similar to us, sharing the same continent, many of the same languages, many of the same laws and most importantly almost all of the same news, sports and entertainment media.  But for all our similarities there are significant differences and it is in part those differences that run deep within our cultural impulses.  For example, on the whole we are much more community minded.  Almost all Canadians are willing to pay for universal single payor health care system.  Not just because it is a superiour model of health delivery (that only became apparent after the fact). It was because we found the notion of a Canadian not having access to health care to be abhorent.  That is something which is deeply rooted in our culture.  There are of course many other such examples.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2013, 07:43:39 PM
You are the one who said you must act now before it gets worse.

I have trouble enough concentrating and organizing my thoughts, is that too much to ask that you read what I post?  I guess it's the Languish way.
I'm taking a break, I'll be back later if I don't have brain cancer.  You could say I rage quit too, if that pleases you.

I'll be a good Québécois, sit home, and wait for the phone call telling me I won the hospital lottery.  In the meantime, have fun, stay happy, read Quebec newspapers with Google translate, then we'll discuss the issue if and when there's a new charter :)

Grey Fox

I don't love everything French. :ultra: I am a supersonic ball of hate.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.