How many people in Quebec are like Viper and Grallon?

Started by Razgovory, August 15, 2013, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 02:50:29 PM
Is there a country that does multiculturalism well? I mean, who's the poster child for a well-done multicutural nation?

The one you live in does a pretty good job, I think.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Is there a country that does multiculturalism well? I mean, who's the poster child for a well-done multicutural nation?

I was going to say India but then I realized they slaughtered each other because of it...so I guess not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2013, 12:08:30 PM
The difference is you cry about intolerance to your own group and then spew intolerance for other groups.
If my religion believe homosexuality is a sin and gays should be stoned to death, do you think it wise that we should indulge my religious beliefs over yours?  We can't both have our freedom in this.  I hate gays, you obviously do not.  You are intolerant of me hating gays.  Do we need to prioritize the level of intolerance?  At some point, one of us will call the other intolerant. 

Technically, both of us would be intolerant, unless you let me free to spew my hate of gays.

Let's say it's against my religion to be in contact with gay men.  I work at the DMV, I have to renew your driver's licence.  I refuse to do it because it's against my religion.  Do you tolerate my behavior?  Will you accomodate me and go elsewhere to get your license?  What if it's a government official policy that gays have no rights and it's based on the majority group's religion.  Do you tolerate their religion as it affects you?

It's not "allright" to cover a gym windows and prevent the people inside from seeing outside just because a particular group is offended by the sight of non-fully-clothed-to-the-neck women.  I wouldn't do it to satisfy Grallon either :P , so it has nothing to do with intolerance toward a religious group.  It ain't alright either to ask women to leave a public pool because a group of men is offended by women sharing their water.  Clearly, there needs to be a limit somewhere.  Before it becomes worst. 

And I don't see that as racism.  No more than a Black College is a racist symbol.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Marty is gay. Marty makes bad analogies. Viper hates gays. Viper makes bad analogies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2013, 02:53:47 PM

I think that the United States does okay, but I question calling us the poster child for it. After all, we still don't allow same-sex marriages as a rule, we're less than brilliant in how we handle Mexican immigrants, and I know many black people who would argue that we've got a long way to go on how we treat them, too.

I was wondering who does it better.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 27, 2013, 02:32:28 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 27, 2013, 11:49:05 AM
It's always the French speaking western people who have a bug about language and other cultures. Quebec, France, the Walloons. Wonder why that is.

Anglo-Canadian-Azorean pidgin speaker has no clue about languages (policies) around the world e.g Portuguese spelling reform ;)
Score one for Anglo-Canadian "multiculturalism"!
:lol:

Hey, weren't you the one giving me grief because you thought I had a hate-on for Quebec?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 02:59:46 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2013, 02:53:47 PM

I think that the United States does okay, but I question calling us the poster child for it. After all, we still don't allow same-sex marriages as a rule, we're less than brilliant in how we handle Mexican immigrants, and I know many black people who would argue that we've got a long way to go on how we treat them, too.

I was wondering who does it better.

How we handle Mexican immigrants has little to do with how we do multiculturalism though. That is just immigration policy.

And yeah, I am sure every minority in America will have some of their members who are not happy with how they are treated. That, however, is true whether we do it well or not.

There is certainly room for improvement of course, but I can't think of another country of similar size and situation that does it better.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2013, 12:09:33 PM
Max is an American. :huh:
I know he lives there, I thought he didn't have the citizenship?  Anyhow, Canada-US annexation has never been a popular topic amongst canadians.  As I said, most Canadians felt and still feel as US annexation of Canada is not a good thing.  As such, French speaking citizens of Canada were granted a few favours in hope of keeping them loyal subject of his/her Majesty.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2013, 12:09:43 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 27, 2013, 12:04:42 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2013, 11:38:25 AM
In your view if there was an event the employee had to attend on behalf of the government which serviced ham sandwiches that a person who does not eat ham because of their religious beliefs would still have to eat it so as not to proselytise?
What happens now is that the government cafeteria will be required to serve Halal food for everyone if one employee request it claiming his religious rights are violated.

Really?

Everyone will have to eat halal food if 1 person asks for it?

I am skeptical.
obviously, not one.  But much less than 50%+1.

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 12:45:42 PM
That's 'cause, as we see in this thread, you all are assholes.  :uffda:
For defending equality between men and women, we are assholes.  What's next?  Supporting gay marriage is bigoted?  Voting rights for blacks is racist?

merithyn

Quote from: viper37 on August 27, 2013, 03:22:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2013, 12:09:33 PM
Max is an American. :huh:
I know he lives there, I thought he didn't have the citizenship?  Anyhow, Canada-US annexation has never been a popular topic amongst canadians.  As I said, most Canadians felt and still feel as US annexation of Canada is not a good thing.  As such, French speaking citizens of Canada were granted a few favours in hope of keeping them loyal subject of his/her Majesty.

He's both a Canadian and an American. :)

merithyn

Quote from: viper37 on August 27, 2013, 03:24:56 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 12:45:42 PM
That's 'cause, as we see in this thread, you all are assholes.  :uffda:
For defending equality between men and women, we are assholes.  What's next?  Supporting gay marriage is bigoted?  Voting rights for blacks is racist?

No, equating private company policy with government requirements so that no one can show any kind of religious affiliation in public. That's kind of an asshole move. Just sayin'.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2013, 12:47:55 PM
As an aside, the section bolded has nothing to do with the Indian Act.  Individual bands control their own housing policy.  So what many individual bands have said is that band housing is for band members only, and if someone has a white partner they will not be allowed to live in band housing.
Hmm, I was told it was in the Federal law.  I know Mohawks won't allow white women on their reservation, and I'm pretty sure that inter-marriage outside of the reservation will result in a loss of status. Are you absolutely positive about that BB?  If you are, I'll retract.

The actual article does contain the quote you mentioned, which seems silly.  The rest of the article talks about requiring nurses to be bilingual.  Whether they're correct or not they do have a point.  Requiring bilingual nurses means unilingual people can't work there, and in a tight job market for nurses might make it hard to attract and keep nurses.
I don't see how it is different from Quebec's language policies which forbid requiring bilinguism when it can't be justified.

And frankly, having unilingual nurses in Eastern Ontario simply means that francophones will be denied health care in their own languages.  We can't claim to be a bilingual country (English & French my friend, in case you forgot ;) :P ) if we don't respect people of the other group.  As I see it, English want it all: full bilinguism for Quebec, unilinguism for the Rest of Canada.

Now maybe that's just the price you have to pay in order to have a bilingual hospital, but it's not as silly as complaining about the order on highway signs.
I think it's a good policy to have bilingual hospitals, rather than seperate ones.  I wish we would do that in Montreal and Quebec city instead of having mono-lingual hospitals for each groups.
Canada would really benefit in having a trully bilingual population from coast to coast.  And yes, Quebec can do a lot more on this front, we really don't have enough bilingual people.

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on August 27, 2013, 01:39:06 PM
Canada isn't our country Viper - it's theirs - when will you get that into your thick head!? 
G.
They sure aren't making it easy.  But I still believe there's a possibility of a better Canada for everyone.