How many people in Quebec are like Viper and Grallon?

Started by Razgovory, August 15, 2013, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 27, 2013, 03:33:37 PM
Quote from: Grallon on August 27, 2013, 01:39:06 PM
Canada isn't our country Viper - it's theirs - when will you get that into your thick head!? 
G.
They sure aren't making it easy.  But I still believe there's a possibility of a better Canada for everyone.

So long as they are not religious, gay or anything else that might offend the government of the day.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2013, 03:00:33 PM

Hey, weren't you the one giving me grief because you thought I had a hate-on for Quebec?  :hmm:
That was Grallon.  Duque is French citizen of Portuguese origin, he couldn't care less about Quebec, except hockey :)  Wich makes him one of the good guys.  Contrary to false Canadians who have a fondness for basketball  :yuk: :cry: :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maximus

Quote from: Grallon on August 27, 2013, 11:57:32 AM
A very American reply ;)  Contrary to you guys we (mostly) don't see the government as some sort of ennemy out to get us...  In this case its power is intended to be used to counteract the debilitating effects of Canadian multiculturalism - by marking out clear lines of what is acceptable or not when it comes to religion in the public sphere.
So we want the government to tell everyone what to do, so long as it tells everyone to do what we want to do.

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 27, 2013, 02:58:28 PM
Marty is gay. Marty makes bad analogies. Viper hates gays. Viper makes bad analogies.
so far, the Canadian government has gone way beyond what Quebec has done to protect "Canadian values".  I'm sure CC, Malthus, Maximus, Raz and Mery have complained about the Federal government attitude.

One recent example:
New guide for immigrants
Another one

Apparently, Canada does not want to let just about anybody in.
Of course, being the intolerant moron that I am, I approve of these guidelines.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 27, 2013, 03:45:55 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 27, 2013, 02:58:28 PM
Marty is gay. Marty makes bad analogies. Viper hates gays. Viper makes bad analogies.
so far, the Canadian government has gone way beyond what Quebec has done to protect "Canadian values".  I'm sure CC, Malthus, Maximus, Raz and Mery have complained about the Federal government attitude.

One recent example:
New guide for immigrants
Another one

Apparently, Canada does not want to let just about anybody in.
Of course, being the intolerant moron that I am, I approve of these guidelines.

Ok Viper, you tell me.  What is wrong with this

QuoteIt includes, for the first time, references to marriage fraud and human smuggling

Shocking!

Maximus

I don't know anything about the truthful content of those guidelines. I will say I am not a fan of "cultural guidance" laws. Same goes for the cultural content laws Sav mentioned. They appear to be an artifact of Trudeauism that the current government has sadly adopted.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on August 27, 2013, 12:22:25 PM
Quote from: Maximus on August 27, 2013, 12:13:04 PM
I'm actually in favour of it, I think. My point is Franco-Canada only exists because of an official multicultural policy that was not common in its time.
I understood your point, but it is wrong.  Multiculturalism was a policy devised by Canada to ignore its French-citizens demands by drowning them in the mass and making all cultures equals, instead of having the concept of 2 founding nations as the francophones always believed.

French got rights whenever America was a threat.  In 1775, we were given the Quebec Act, making us officiall citizens of the British Empire with full rights, instead of half slaves with barely no rights.  Those rights were only partially respected over the years, and as the American threat diminished rapidly after the war of 1812, they were totally renegated by the Act of Union and Quebec had to pay English Canada's debt.
Toward the end of the US Civil War, when there were constant threats of US invasion, were the British were tired of defending the colony and when the Fenians did invade Canada, when it was clear that without Quebec all British colonies would become American States, than we got serious about discussing the creation of a country with theoritical full rights to french speaking citizens and a semi-official bilingualism occured.

Between then an the 70s, immigration wasn't really an issue, the few immigrants we had came from the French speaking part of Europe, and there were no guiding principles from the Federal gov to the effect that speaking French in Canada wasn't a necessity.  It changed with Trudeau coming to power, considering everyone in Quebec to be semi-intelligent cave men, barely able to talk.  I think only the Americans were worst than Quebecers in his eyes.

So accommodation of minority groups is actually a plot to destroy Quebec?  How do the First Nations fit into your world?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2013, 04:42:14 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 27, 2013, 12:22:25 PM
Quote from: Maximus on August 27, 2013, 12:13:04 PM
I'm actually in favour of it, I think. My point is Franco-Canada only exists because of an official multicultural policy that was not common in its time.
I understood your point, but it is wrong.  Multiculturalism was a policy devised by Canada to ignore its French-citizens demands by drowning them in the mass and making all cultures equals, instead of having the concept of 2 founding nations as the francophones always believed.

French got rights whenever America was a threat.  In 1775, we were given the Quebec Act, making us officiall citizens of the British Empire with full rights, instead of half slaves with barely no rights.  Those rights were only partially respected over the years, and as the American threat diminished rapidly after the war of 1812, they were totally renegated by the Act of Union and Quebec had to pay English Canada's debt.
Toward the end of the US Civil War, when there were constant threats of US invasion, were the British were tired of defending the colony and when the Fenians did invade Canada, when it was clear that without Quebec all British colonies would become American States, than we got serious about discussing the creation of a country with theoritical full rights to french speaking citizens and a semi-official bilingualism occured.

Between then an the 70s, immigration wasn't really an issue, the few immigrants we had came from the French speaking part of Europe, and there were no guiding principles from the Federal gov to the effect that speaking French in Canada wasn't a necessity.  It changed with Trudeau coming to power, considering everyone in Quebec to be semi-intelligent cave men, barely able to talk.  I think only the Americans were worst than Quebecers in his eyes.

So accommodation of minority groups is actually a plot to destroy Quebec?  How do the First Nations fit into your world?

True story: the local first nations around Kippawa in Quebec all seem to speak English, not French. Moreover, they no longer speak or read their ancestral language.

My dad found a picture taken by my grandfather in the 1940s in the area that had a sign in the background in three languages - French, English and Algonquian. He took a print to Chief Harry at his request, and they were very happy to have it, as they planned to use it to show the local government there that the native language had been officially recognized back then.

Only thing was, Chief Harry could find no-one who could read the Algonquian. Its use has completely disappeared.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on August 27, 2013, 02:49:07 PM
Besides, aren't you originally from the Alentejo region? That's only slightly better then the Azores.

Hint: Bragança ;)
Anglo-Canadian imperialism under its thin guise of "multiculturalism" really works wonders for the cultural race to the bottom as can be seen with you :(

citizen k

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 27, 2013, 02:55:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2013, 12:08:30 PM
The difference is you cry about intolerance to your own group and then spew intolerance for other groups.
If my religion believe homosexuality is a sin and gays should be stoned to death, do you think it wise that we should indulge my religious beliefs over yours?  We can't both have our freedom in this.  I hate gays, you obviously do not.  You are intolerant of me hating gays.  Do we need to prioritize the level of intolerance?  At some point, one of us will call the other intolerant. 

Technically, both of us would be intolerant, unless you let me free to spew my hate of gays.

Let's say it's against my religion to be in contact with gay men.  I work at the DMV, I have to renew your driver's licence.  I refuse to do it because it's against my religion.  Do you tolerate my behavior?  Will you accomodate me and go elsewhere to get your license?  What if it's a government official policy that gays have no rights and it's based on the majority group's religion.  Do you tolerate their religion as it affects you?

It's not "allright" to cover a gym windows and prevent the people inside from seeing outside just because a particular group is offended by the sight of non-fully-clothed-to-the-neck women.  I wouldn't do it to satisfy Grallon either :P , so it has nothing to do with intolerance toward a religious group.  It ain't alright either to ask women to leave a public pool because a group of men is offended by women sharing their water.  Clearly, there needs to be a limit somewhere.  Before it becomes worst. 

And I don't see that as racism.  No more than a Black College is a racist symbol.

I feel bad that you wasted time emphatically typing such drivel.
Btw, slippery slope much?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Maybe it was meant as tongue-in-cheek.  It's hard to imagine that someone would write something so absurd.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

One thing I'm unclear on, (okay that's a lie, there are a lot of things I'm unclear on), wouldn't multiculturalism destroy English speaking Canada as well?  If it's really a plot to flood Quebec with foreigners then wouldn't it do the same to saw British Columbia which has fewer people living in it then Quebec.

garbon

Btw, viper, I think I'm pretty tolerant of those intolerant towards me in comparison to you. I've never complained about homophobic comments in comment sections. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.