And we're back!

Main Menu

Pope on gays : "Who am I to judge?"

Started by garbon, July 29, 2013, 08:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: HVC on September 20, 2013, 08:30:03 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 20, 2013, 08:26:18 AM
I'm not sure why Viking and Tamas are making such a fuss.
religion is one if the few things its still ok to be bigoted about (on either side)

well, it's not really bigotry if it's true. But even if it was, "still" ?

"STILL"?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

religion is one if the few things its still ok to be bigoted about (on either side)

Is it? I'm pretty sure we're all tired of it now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

People like to persecute other people. If its not religion it'd be something else.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Viking

BTW, I'm not actually attacking religion here, I don't need to. I'm pointing out the obvious self contradictions in the new pope's liberal attitude.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on September 20, 2013, 08:37:05 AM

Is it? I'm pretty sure we're all tired of it now.
well on here mainly yes, but there's only so many topics we can have that everything gets kind of stale. But I meant in general life.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Viking

Quote from: HVC on September 20, 2013, 08:37:32 AM
People like to persecute other people. Of its. Not religion it'd be something else.

If religion actually was what it claimed to be then religion it would have been central in ending persecution rather than perpetrating it. To re-quote Stephen Weinberg, good people will do good things, evil people will do evil things but it take religion to make Thomas Moore burn people alive.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on September 20, 2013, 08:39:47 AM
People like to persecute other people. Of its. Not religion it'd be something else.

If religion actually was what it claimed to be then religion it would have been central in ending persecution rather than perpetrating it. To re-quote Stephen Weinberg, good people will do good things, evil people will do evil things but it take religion to make Thomas Moore burn people alive.

So true. Every time I go to church, I picture getting stoned.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on September 20, 2013, 08:40:38 AM

Bill Maher stoned or Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani stoned? 'cause I can see ether of those being appropriate in this case.

merithyn

Quote from: Tamas on September 20, 2013, 08:28:18 AM
I mean seriously, Merri. I am (now) trying to avoid attacking individuals in their religion, because if somebody thinks he/she is a better person from believing in one of the deities, I am cool with that.

But how can you honestly say that the Church never claimed to be in possession of the absolute truth? I am not speaking about theories and books written about their philosophic monks, I am speaking about actual practical actions and rules taken and advocated by the Church throughout history.

I never said that. I said that that's all they were supposed to be for. That men chose to take it upon themselves to go beyond that is on them, not the religion.

Religion is, to me, a way to guide the purpose of one's life. It's to offer solace and guidance when things aren't working well. It's to help people find a better way. That this pope is saying, "Look, our goal is to guide, not judge," says a lot about him, imo. He's bringing the Catholic Church back around to what it's supposed to have been doing all along.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Viking on September 20, 2013, 08:42:35 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 20, 2013, 08:40:38 AM

Bill Maher stoned or Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani stoned? 'cause I can see ether of those being appropriate in this case.

Neither. ;)

HVC

Religions not the cause, it's the tool. A hammer was created to build, but can be used to kill. Do you blame the hammer when it's misused? Even in a purely atheist utopia the CC's would group together and kill the Ide's because they weren't tall enough.

Viking

Quote from: HVC on September 20, 2013, 08:50:27 AM
Religions not the cause, it's the tool. A hammer was created to build, but can be used to kill. Do you blame the hammer when it's misused? Even in a purely atheist utopia the CC's would group together and kill the Ide's because they weren't tall enough.

So you argument here is that religion has nothing to do with morality then? 'cause I'm pretty sure there isn't a theologian out there that would agree with you. And yes, the atheist utopian demands that the CC understand right from wrong because it was told by god and to successfully fight against wrong because it's faith gave it the strength to do so. Why does the atheist utopian demand this? Truth in advertising, this is what the church has been claiming for itself for thousands of years now.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on September 20, 2013, 02:40:03 AM
OK

1. On which issue was Moses open for doubt?

Have you ever even read the Old Testament? 
Moses was like a model for Hamlet.  Even after God talked to him personally, he kept having doubts.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2013, 03:02:35 AM
I'm on my phone, but again the anti-theist and hard-core fundy (in this case radical traditionalist) view is virtually indistinguishable  :lol:

Not surprising, in both cases it stems either from ignorance or deliberative refusal to approach these texts in their proper context, and instead try to read them like they are divine instruction manuals.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 20, 2013, 09:03:54 AM
Quote from: Viking on September 20, 2013, 02:40:03 AM
OK

1. On which issue was Moses open for doubt?

Have you ever even read the Old Testament? 
Moses was like a model for Hamlet.  Even after God talked to him personally, he kept having doubts.

Moses had doubts about himself and his self worth. When god gave him tangible evidence (something he refuses to do for me), moses had none. What Moses did not do is elucidate on the nature of truth and knowledge, no matter how much Philo likes to pretend he was the first philosopher.