And we're back!

Main Menu

Video Games are dying again...sort of

Started by Josephus, October 01, 2013, 02:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2013, 11:30:13 PM
So is Paradox a 'scrappy independent'?

InExile and Obsidian are now I guess as well.

Paradox doesn't produce much in the way of console games.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on October 02, 2013, 04:06:32 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 02, 2013, 12:45:33 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 01, 2013, 11:14:03 PM
Yeah, it's basically high stakes block buster focused AAA titles on one end, and scrappy indies on the other, with very little in between.
has it ever been different?

I mean to say that the costs of making AAA titles today is certainly higher, in proportion to the lower tier than it was in the early 90s, but has it once been a "level market", where most games are at about the same level and only a few ones in the bottom (indie) and top (AAA) budget wise?

Didn't the article adress this exact point? That the top 20 title now carry more than twice the market share they did previously?
I'll admit it's still a little hard to read, but still...
The richest games are getting richer partly because the industry makes fewer games over all, concentrating players' spending.

It also doesn't adress the size of the mid-market.

EU1 & 2 could be classified as being made by an indie developper.  EU4 is certainly not in the leagues of Call of Duty, but I don't think it can be classified as an indie developper anymore.  Do they make money from their games?  I tend to think so, since they are still in business.  I don't think I'll see the day either were Europa Universalis XX is greated with as much media attention as Call of Duty XX.

I know what it takes to be at the top, I know what it takes to be at the bottom.  I also know big publishers like EA now make more money from titles than they used to, even if they sell it at the same price, due to creative fiscality and digital distribution instead of physical.  Small time publishers can't exactly afford to have their sales placed in an offshore office.

What I don't know, is how hard is it to keep things afloat in the middle today vs a decade ago.  How hard is it to reach that breaking point where you're no longer indie, today, vs a decade ago?  Were smartphones a good thing for gaming studios because selling games at 1$ means more units, therefore more publicity for your next game?

So many questions unanswered.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I think part of the problem is that most of the people here are PC gamers while the article is about console games.  It seemed to me that PC gaming fell apart over the least decade and has rebuilt itself.  Since then PC games and console games have been moving apart.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2013, 12:02:28 AM
I think part of the problem is that most of the people here are PC gamers while the article is about console games.  It seemed to me that PC gaming fell apart over the least decade and has rebuilt itself.  Since then PC games and console games have been moving apart.

Yeah... PC gaming is kind of its own thing. I think it has been getting a bit of a boost as a result of the changing console landscape. But yeah, when people speak of AAA games and blockbusters and things like that, they're usually speaking about console games.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2013, 11:30:44 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 01, 2013, 05:27:05 PM
Good. Read a book you nerds.

Is it ok if I read it on my tablet?

I'll allow it. No medieval stuff though, that gets you worked up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

I am reading The Wages of Destruction: The Making and Breaking of the Nazi Economy on Languish's recommendation. :swiss:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

I was viewing some tasteful female nudes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 02, 2013, 11:57:23 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2013, 11:30:13 PM
So is Paradox a 'scrappy independent'?

InExile and Obsidian are now I guess as well.

Paradox doesn't produce much in the way of console games.

Ah good point.  That is a key difference.  I haven't played a console game since I bought a X-Box just to play KOTOR.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2013, 12:55:50 AM
But yeah, when people speak of AAA games and blockbusters and things like that, they're usually speaking about console games.
I'm 100% racist when it comes to gaming.  I even refuse to acknowledge there are other devices than PC for intelligent gaming :P

Nah, seriously, everyone's right, and I'm mostly basing my feelings on what I know of the PC market.  Never really cared for console gaming.  I played a little with the Atari 2600 and the Coleco of my cousins, but having had my first computer at 8yo, my way was traced :)

What I do know about console gaming though, is that since the very beginning of their popularity, I've heard developpers complain it costs more to develop a game there than on PC.

I thought the X Box would be a great improvement, because it's mostly a PC, and the ports are supposed to be easier, but it seems I will have to wait the new Steambox to see if it changes the way we game on PC.

I find that many games developped for consoles first&foremost lack content and deepness.  It seems developpers are limited by disc space on consoles, so they reduce content & graphic quality, wich drags down the experience for PC game players.  And of course, the majority of console players being teenagers, they dumb down their games, story-wise.  I might be a tad elitist, though ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

Jacob, where do you see mid-level companies like High Voltage Software out of Chicago? They've stayed steadily busy with mid-level games for 20 years now.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Jacob

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2013, 03:12:15 PM
Jacob, where do you see mid-level companies like High Voltage Software out of Chicago? They've stayed steadily busy with mid-level games for 20 years now.

It totally depends on the business skills of their leadership.

They could try the indie route, but those companies usually have too much overhead to do so successfully (at least without downsizing); they can still land third party contracts, but there are fewer of them and they're less secure (it sucks ramping up to a 100 person team, and then having funding pulled mid-dev).

From their track record it looks like they mostly make mediocre licensed games; that may be a viable business model still since the licenses are strong - so like I said, it completely depends on the connections and skills of their deal makers.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on October 02, 2013, 11:58:00 PM
I know what it takes to be at the top, I know what it takes to be at the bottom. 

We don't need to here about your sex life if this thread.

:)