Main Menu

America in the 70s

Started by Syt, July 22, 2013, 02:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Hello, chick in the swimsuit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

I guess that's Todd Bridges 4 pictures down, on the right, and Jesse Jackson 3 pictures up from bottom?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Hey! Half gallon of vodka for 8.99
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2013, 08:11:43 AM
I guess that's Todd Bridges 4 pictures down, on the right, and Jesse Jackson 3 pictures up from bottom?

You can find out if you click the link I posted above the photos. Unless you lose your tea party credentials if you surf to The Atlantic. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

All black people look alike to Derspicy eh?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Tell them that's Todd Bridges.  They don't have him identified.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on July 25, 2013, 08:22:31 AM
All black people look alike to Derspicy eh?

I was waiting for a crack like that.  I'm telling you, that's Willis.

Syt

1970s Texas:

QuoteSmoke from the burning of old auto batteries near Houston, April 1972.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on July 22, 2013, 02:57:42 PM
KRonn or gumbler, did these cars really look cool back then, or did they always give off this "piece of sloppy shit" vibe?

Some of them were cool, like the muscle cars. GTO (I had one), Firebird, Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Chevy Trans Am and more. Real classics and look great today IMO. Many of today's cars look poor in comparison to those. But some of the others from back then look so lame, sloppy, like you say. I think even then they were but we didn't have anything to compare them to.

Admiral Yi

So close to the McKenzie brothers in the last pic.

The one area in which the 70's was an unmitigated disaster was pants.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on July 25, 2013, 02:22:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 22, 2013, 02:57:42 PM
KRonn or gumbler, did these cars really look cool back then, or did they always give off this "piece of sloppy shit" vibe?

Some of them were cool, like the muscle cars. GTO (I had one), Firebird, Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Chevy Trans Am and more. Real classics and look great today IMO. Many of today's cars look poor in comparison to those. But some of the others from back then look so lame, sloppy, like you say. I think even then they were but we didn't have anything to compare them to.

Big cars in the big city have a habit of getting big dents.

fhdz

It strikes me as insane that we used to dispose of old car batteries by setting them on fire.
and the horse you rode in on