News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

America in the 70s

Started by Syt, July 22, 2013, 02:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

You get what you pay for. And people want our news for free.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 18, 2013, 06:02:50 AM
Here's a bunch of photos of a New York neighborhood that will soon be bulldozed away. Willet's Point in Queen, an iron triangle of 255 autobody shops with only one native resident. Just broken street upon broken street of rusting tin shacks, stacks of decaying cars and car related refuse.

Actually many of the cars in the picture are relatively new and obviously there for repair; these look like active businesses.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

You know Nurse Bloomberg hated that area when he was mayor. Low class scum eking out a living? Bulldoze it and put in stuff for rich folk. Can't have the scum occupying valuable real estate.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

You can if they can pay the rent.

The Minsky Moment

I can't imagine why the city might back a redevelopment plan that would vastly increase the tax base of this area.
Oh wait.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2013, 05:26:36 PM
I can't imagine why the city might back a redevelopment plan that would vastly increase the tax base of this area.
Oh wait.

A normal mayor? Maybe. HitlerBloomberg? I doubt it. The presence of poors saps his vitality.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

I don't think Bloomberg would be that bothered by any area outside of Manhattan.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on November 18, 2013, 05:50:42 PM
I don't think Bloomberg would be that bothered by any area outside of Manhattan.

Right?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2013, 04:57:46 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 18, 2013, 06:02:50 AM
Here's a bunch of photos of a New York neighborhood that will soon be bulldozed away. Willet's Point in Queen, an iron triangle of 255 autobody shops with only one native resident. Just broken street upon broken street of rusting tin shacks, stacks of decaying cars and car related refuse.

Actually many of the cars in the picture are relatively new and obviously there for repair; these look like active businesses.
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Doesn't seem to be abandoned, even if there is only one resident, even the author describes people working there.
PDH!

mongers

In some ways it's quite an efficient set up to deal with car repairs in a large city; most ordinary people will know where to go to get their car sorted, they'll be plenty of competitively priced services and spare parts/expertise are likely to be close at hand. 

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on November 19, 2013, 04:56:46 PM
In some ways it's quite an efficient set up to deal with car repairs in a large city; most ordinary people will know where to go to get their car sorted, they'll be plenty of competitively priced services and spare parts/expertise are likely to be close at hand. 

I don't think it is that efficient in that it is really only useful for people with cars near that part of Queens. I doubt most "ordinary people" are going to schlep all the way over there for car repair near a stadium.

That said, I do agree that having several together is probably good for business, much in the same way as it is for restaurants, shops and car dealarships.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2013, 05:03:17 PM

I don't think it is that efficient in that it is really only useful for people with cars near that part of Queens. I doubt most "ordinary people" are going to schlep all the way over there for car repair near a stadium.

That said, I do agree that having several together is probably good for business, much in the same way as it is for restaurants, shops and car dealarships.

Well I sorta meant that, as I wasn't expecting all of a mega city like NYC to use it, I guess for a good section of Queens it might be a useful zone to have.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

It's also for useful for recruiting terrorists and communicating plans.  :)

Sheilbh

Even more so I'd say given the effect car repair shops have on the value of other businesses around them, unlike restaurants and shops.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on November 19, 2013, 05:17:52 PM

Well I sorta meant that, as I wasn't expecting all of a mega city like NYC to use it, I guess for a good section of Queens it might be a useful zone to have.
How many people support one body ship? A thousand? Two thousand? More?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point